Anyone into Archery?

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
About 12 years ago I picked up a nice compound bow for a great price, but it was way too much for me to handle. So I hunted with a trusty .30.06 or a .30.30 instead.

I may not hunt with it, but it would give me something to do when I'm bored, like right now. I dusted off the old bow, dug out the arrows and pulled back... holy mother of god my f'ed up shoulder was screaming at me under the intense draw weight and aggressive ramp. long story, lets just say a jungle gym left nasty damage to my right shoulder when I was little. it improved vastly after I started lifting weights in my teens though, and is still improving as I approach my mid twenties.

So I googled stuff about compound bows and found out I could adjust the draw weight, spun it out 3 turns (1 turn equals -3 pounds.. no more than 5 turns out from max). It's bearable but I have no idea what the draw is on this thing. A York Trophy II Graphite compound bow.

By no long shot am I a bow expert, I just googled a bunch of stuff.

What would you guys recommend as an "Entry Level / Budget" Compound Bow for me? I'm a Medium frame on a small/lean build (5'11" and 124 pounds...) Not what you'd consider weak, just undersized/under weight for my frame (due to some medical issues as a child.)

I live out in BFE and it's fun to just go out and hit some targets when there's nothing to do. Like right now, I'm waiting on my 6-71 Blower (from dyer's blowers) for my '74 Duster, the engine is sitting in the corner, ready, the car is in the paint booth awaiting supplies/materials. I'm bored out of my mind :D

Well if your stuck on a compound you will have to look at Matthews or an equivalent that have up to 80% let off. Unfortunately you will still have the hump to get over before you get to the let off.

If I may suggest, go look at a good recurve in the 45lb pull range. You can plunk away with it and you can also hunt with it. Also a good archery shop can check your draw length, that is also helpful when your not attempting to pull back a bow that is too long for you.

Are you right or left eye dominant? Do you shoot right or left?

I am very much into archery and have my own shop. I'll send you a PM and give a FABO brother a hand with getting into the sport.

Well if your stuck on a compound you will have to look at Matthews or an equivalent that have up to 80% let off. Unfortunately you will still have the hump to get over before you get to the let off.

If I may suggest, go look at a good recurve in the 45lb pull range. You can plunk away with it and you can also hunt with it. Also a good archery shop can check your draw length, that is also helpful when your not attempting to pull back a bow that is too long for you.

Are you right or left eye dominant? Do you shoot right or left?

Neither left nor right on eyes or hands. Funny story, when i was learning to write, i favored my left hand and my dad told me "you better knock that off, i aint buying you no special scissors" :D So I ended up becoming ambidextrous because of that. I do use my right hand for anything hunting/firing related though.

Another part of it could be, I don't think I've ever used these muscles... EVER, my arms feel like i spent twenty hours pulling trucks out of the mud by hand :D Just from a few minutes of firing at a target.

Archery now that's something that I can talk about. Yep I'm a hunter and outdoorsman. There is nothing like packing into an area for 3 days and not see another person. Awesome.

Attachments

• Archery Buck2 post.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Idaho Bull 1.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Kansas buck.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Utah Bull1.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Bulls fighting.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Bulls fighting2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Grant's 360.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 90
Neither left nor right on eyes or hands. Funny story, when i was learning to write, i favored my left hand and my dad told me "you better knock that off, i aint buying you no special scissors" :D So I ended up becoming ambidextrous because of that. I do use my right hand for anything hunting/firing related though.

Another part of it could be, I don't think I've ever used these muscles... EVER, my arms feel like i spent twenty hours pulling trucks out of the mud by hand :D Just from a few minutes of firing at a target.

That's funny, because I shoot a rifle left handed, but shoot a bow with my right and pistol with either. People give me crap all of the time.

mmm. i love bowhunting. i have drawn on a few bows that have 80% let off and one or two of them, i had to give a little extra strength to anchor. Right now I have a Martin Quest and a Martin Orion. I like Martin. I like Matthews but too damn expensive for me. Anyways, you need to get a SOLOCAM bow. They are easy to draw and anchor. Or, if you state allows crossbows, go that route.

I'm a lefty and shoot a Bowtech. Check em out. I got mine from a factory shooter after he got his new model. I saved a ton of money. I shoot XX75's in 2117.
Small Block

Did a contest with mine (80 pounder compound)
We had four hours to kill as many ground squirrels as possible.
I got 17 confirmed.

my hat goes off to you guys with heavy draws, I'm still feeling it in my shoulder, back and arms today. Does that mean I'm gonna give it up? Nope, I'm going to see about picking up some new arrows today and have at the targets some more.

My arrows were all antique wooden arrows (some with tips), well the compound bow killed those in short order. Guess I need some better/different arrows. :D

"Anyone into Archery"?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lUjhEHlh7s"]Robin Hood: Men In Tights - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, couldn't resist. lol

If your shoulder is effed up, trade the compound for a crossbow.....can't go wrong.

I've got a Excalibur and can drive tacks at 40 yards and quarters at 60 yards all day long.
335 feet per second.

Easy to pull and stays cocked all day long until you see some dinner walking by.

Most guys with shoulder problems retire their compounds for crossbows and several of my buddies have.
I can use the compound but I like the crossbow for the pure baddassery of it being always at the ready with no last second fumbling.

It's just like a rifle in many ways, but die hard compound guys don't care much for crossbows, kinda like purists when it comes to Mopars.

Bowtech's about 5 miles up the road from me. They're a good brand. Be careful, make sure the bow string you have is OK (12 yo), snap=ouch

If your shoulder is effed up, trade the compound for a crossbow.....can't go wrong.

I've got a Excalibur and can drive tacks at 40 yards and quarters at 60 yards all day long.
335 feet per second.

Easy to pull and stays cocked all day long until you see some dinner walking by.

Most guys with shoulder problems retire their compounds for crossbows and several of my buddies have.
I can use the compound but I like the crossbow for the pure baddassery of it being always at the ready with no last second fumbling.

It's just like a rifle in many ways, but die hard compound guys don't care much for crossbows, kinda like purists when it comes to Mopars.

Hunting with crossbows is outlawed in many western states including Utah. Unless you are handicapped. :D

-
Back