Anyone know about International Scouts???

-
There's probably few better vehicles to learn to drive stick with. Hard to blow up, durable parts, not enough power to hurt much LOL.

The price won't matter much in a few months if it makes the wife happy.

I tell her the kids will always want to drive in it with the top off.

They were work mules and very basic. Dependable but as said rust buckets. I'll bet after an hour of driving it she will hate it. You will probably have to convert to hydraulic clutch as well.

If you get it I’ll put you in touch with the Scout guru, Nick Rayer. He’s been doing scouts for decades now and knows everything about them there is to know. He has at least a dozen of them. I went to school with him and he still lives in our town.

Talking about her learning to drive a stick shift?

There is a really good chance that it is a Non-Syncro first gear, especially in a 1967 model. So every time she comes down from second then going into first it is going to grind.

Heads up....

☆☆☆☆☆

Buying a Scout now will likely now cost more compared to a few years ago. Hagerty routinely does articles about older vehicles they receive more insurance quotes on. They recently did one a International Scouts. They are becoming trendy.

Ag

Agreed

I would imagine I’d put some new tires on the truck, some all terrains or something easy. That’s after getting it on a lift and getting checked out by a mechanic. I actually have a pt coming in tomorrow at 8am for invisilign. Maybe I’ll do some bartering lol.
I put Nitto All Terrains' on the wife's jeep, good ride and great traction.

IMG_20150912_135004529.jpg

IMG_20150912_135217.jpg

If you get it I’ll put you in touch with the Scout guru, Nick Rayer. He’s been doing scouts for decades now and knows everything about them there is to know. He has at least a dozen of them. I went to school with him and he still lives in our town.

Your town in Michigan he lives?

I’d love to know a little more about this thing before buying or if I should buy it lol.

Talking about her learning to drive a stick shift?

There is a really good chance that it is a Non-Syncro first gear, especially in a 1967 model. So every time she comes down from second then going into first it is going to grind.

Heads up....

☆☆☆☆☆

Yes it is 100% a non-synchro first, I showed her some videos last night.

They were work mules and very basic. Dependable but as said rust buckets. I'll bet after an hour of driving it she will hate it. You will probably have to convert to hydraulic clutch as well.

In a perfect world I’d love to convert it to an automatic…

I put Nitto All Terrains' on the wife's jeep, good ride and great traction.

View attachment 1716223286

View attachment 1716223287

I just out new falken wildpeaks on my truck and they drive great.

I’m in the Midwest and from what I have seen rust = everything in the Midwest haha.
Pretty much,....if You want to see Scout sweetness in it's prime, I believe the 'Flipper' TV series had one featured in it, IIRC..

If you (wife) really want it, offer the guy what you think it is worth, with the stipulation you take it to your mechanic and subtract off the cost to fix what it needs.

If it's a 4 cylinder, it's literally a half of their 348 V-8. I had a '62 and if it's 3 speed manual with that 4 cylinder, you will spend a lot of time in second gear.
Also, I didn't do any off roading, yet broke two axle shafts on the left rear. Both broke in exactly the same place by the outer bearing. Never figured that out.

Remember Rule #1: Happy Wife happy life! All of my late Wife's cars were sticks. She knew how to drive a stick before I knew how to drive! The last 2 she bought, she had to fight with the salesman to get one!

What about the newer scout? Power steering, Dana 44 axles, automatic option heavier spring pivot points and frame.
They used the 727 transmission so easy to transplant a mopar engine.
I put a 440 in one many years ago. The Saginaw power steering brackets on the 440 went well with the Saginaw power steering box on the scout.
The old scouts were all wheel drive. Had power locks front and rear. I think they were smaller than Dana 30s. While the frame was stout the spring pivot points and springs were small. As mentioned above tiny axles too. Just more thoughts.

we plowed a lot of snow with a little scout really short pickup and it took a lot of abuse and held up well

I grew up with scouts learned how to drive in them. Started in a 62 with 4 cyld 3 speed and then dad bought a 66 v8 4 speed. The 62 4cyld 3 speed was very under powered but would climb the mountains in Colorado in 4x4 low very good. The 66 v8 had plenty of power but loved gas climb anything. But neither 1 had power steering or power brakes so they were hard to steer and hard to stop. I would let her drive it first to see to see if she can handle it okay without power anything. They ride like a log wagon and steer like on too. But if you can put that aside they are good vehicles.

This one started right up with a new battery and cables today. :thumbsup:
At its age there are liable to be the odd problem show up. Rust in the driver floorpan is a simple repair. A small press in your garage and you can replicate a new one. Do like Fitzees Fabrications and make the new before cutting the old out. You can then use his cut and butt technique to weld the new in while cutting and pushing the old out of the way.
IH built thousands if not millions of medium and heavy duty trucks over the years with solid engineering behind them.
These Scout body panels are fairly simple so replicating using Fitzees techniques is doable if required, once you get past his goofy Newfie lingo.
With Broncos well past $50k, Scouts are looking to be a good option. If you inspect this one real good and maybe see if a body shop can inspect the body for a reasonable price to verify no serious hidden metal mice damage, I would try offering $18k and negotiate from there. Take your wife to test drive it with you. If it will be her vehicle, she is the one that needs to be happy. Being the colors she wants, you may be buggered as soon as she sees it.
All rubber products should be inspected if you do purchase, especially brake hoses. That stuff is another expense, but falls under maintenance items.

I grew up with scouts learned how to drive in them. Started in a 62 with 4 cyld 3 speed and then dad bought a 66 v8 4 speed. The 62 4cyld 3 speed was very under powered but would climb the mountains in Colorado in 4x4 low very good. The 66 v8 had plenty of power but loved gas climb anything. But neither 1 had power steering or power brakes so they were hard to steer and hard to stop. I would let her drive it first to see to see if she can handle it okay without power anything. They ride like a log wagon and steer like on too. But if you can put that aside they are good vehicles.

I went and drove it yesterday. I offered him 18k cash, he said he had to talk with the GF about it and that there might be one other guy who wanted to look at it and “buy” it. I told him 18k and that’s all I’ll do.

You hit the nail on the head with your reply! No power steering, manual and no power brakes. I’d drive the piss out of it, my wife, well she wouldn’t. So it would have to have power brakes and power steering swapped into it and then an automatic. So I told her she can get that one and never drive it until it is all swapped or we wait and find one already done with the swaps (more expensive).

I guess we will see what happens. The one above has basically 0 rust which makes it the perfect candidate to pay a shop to do the swap. Anytime you’re starting with a rusty project it gets 2-3x more expensive real quick.

At its age there are liable to be the odd problem show up. Rust in the driver floorpan is a simple repair. A small press in your garage and you can replicate a new one. Do like Fitzees Fabrications and make the new before cutting the old out. You can then use his cut and butt technique to weld the new in while cutting and pushing the old out of the way.
IH built thousands if not millions of medium and heavy duty trucks over the years with solid engineering behind them.
These Scout body panels are fairly simple so replicating using Fitzees techniques is doable if required, once you get past his goofy Newfie lingo.
With Broncos well past $50k, Scouts are looking to be a good option. If you inspect this one real good and maybe see if a body shop can inspect the body for a reasonable price to verify no serious hidden metal mice damage, I would try offering $18k and negotiate from there. Take your wife to test drive it with you. If it will be her vehicle, she is the one that needs to be happy. Being the colors she wants, you may be buggered as soon as she sees it.
All rubber products should be inspected if you do purchase, especially brake hoses. That stuff is another expense, but falls under maintenance items.

Yeah you can buy completed scouts and broncos for 50-80k. Expensive but they are cool to drive around with the top off.

I was informed you can buy all new body panels for the scouts, I am not a welder so I’d have to pay for it to be installed if I had to replace panels.

What about the newer scout? Power steering, Dana 44 axles, automatic option heavier spring pivot points and frame.
They used the 727 transmission so easy to transplant a mopar engine.
I put a 440 in one many years ago. The Saginaw power steering brackets on the 440 went well with the Saginaw power steering box on the scout.
The old scouts were all wheel drive. Had power locks front and rear. I think they were smaller than Dana 30s. While the frame was stout the spring pivot points and springs were small. As mentioned above tiny axles too. Just more thoughts.

The scout 2 has nothing for my liking. I am pretty sure that’s what her dad had, which is why my wife likes the scout so much because her dad had one….

-
Back