Anyone know about this drag strip in the Carlisle area ?

-

RON REAGLE

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I made a wrong turn coming back to my campground on Saturday. Google maps had me take some back country roads including some real goat paths LOL Came across this drag strip literally in the middle of no where. I didn't stop the first time by, but I couldn't get it out of my head till I drove back to see it and take pictures. When we first got there there were two guys racing motorcycles down the track , but no other people were there. I just found it on line it's called South Mountain Raceway.

IMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4318.JPG

What kinda hillbilly undulating dragstrip with a corner in the shutdown area is that? lol

There used to always be an event there on the Friday night of the Carlisle show. We saw Don Garlits there one year. You are right it has a crazy banked curve for a shutdown area.

I'm thinking they don't have Friday night drags at the Carlisle Chrysler show no moe...? the older I get things just get worse...:BangHead:

Carlisle Events use to promote Friday night Mopars against the world at South Mountain Raceway. Carlisle Events no longer advertises/ supports South Mountain Raceway as Carlisle Events has on onsite Road course and refuses to support a local raceway………

Can they drag race on this road course? i saw once Paul Michael glazer was giving rides in the "Striped Tomato" Torino on that course...

Was it once named Beaver Valley or something like that ?

It was a nice treat after the show on Friday. They ran a school bus to the track and back. I met Bill Maverick and saw the Little Red Wagon run a few times. To me, it was a highlight of the show.

Quarter Aces dragway was a short hop from this track. According to the website, South Mountain bought that property. They were supposed to have racing Friday but it was cancelled potentially due to no cars or low car count.

As stated above, I usually took 15S to 81 to Carlisle. This year, Waze took me some crazy way with loops, hairpin turns, steep hills and declines, in a valley, out a valley. I was like, WTF?????

Quarter Aces dragway was a short hop from this track. According to the website, South Mountain bought that property. They were supposed to have racing Friday but it was cancelled potentially due to no cars or low car count.

As stated above, I usually took 15S to 81 to Carlisle. This year, Waze took me some crazy way with loops, hairpin turns, steep hills and declines, in a valley, out a valley. I was like, WTF?????

Waze will run you through people's back yards and interrupt barbecues!

I was having fuel pump issues, so we got off the highway, but my buddy's daughter's GPS took us down a road just as you described. It wasn't fun on a hot day at the end of an 8 hour drive.

I camped at Deer Run Campground this year. If you pulled out of the campground and made a right it went down a very narrow gravel road (Sheet Iron Roof Rd) marked "no winter maintenance" and it was obvious why. At the end of the gravel road we made a left and the track was about a mile down the road. I found it purely by accident and wished they'd have had some racing going on.

I remember going there 25+ years ago and remember the crazy turn in the shut down lanes.
First time seeing the wheel standers at night and the spark flying off them when they were up

I was introduced to the owner the year he purchased it. His is a retired fella and loves drag racing just that much that he had to buy it and run it as often as local authorities allowed it to operate.
I e been in the tower, walked the track, been to the back houses and pretty much all over the grounds.

I’m sure he is doing well, he’s a fine fella, very much a gentleman and easy going. It’s a damn shame Carlisle doesn’t support anyone but Carlisle. Perhaps someone should whisper in his ear to self promote with flyers made from the printer. IDK what the deal is with Carlisle.

The “Crazy right hand turn” at the tracks end should pose no issue to anyone if your crap is right to begin with. There’s no issue with that turn off unless your brakes suck. Plenty of shutdown space.

-
Back