Anyone know anything about GPS devices?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I'm in the market for my wife, and I know nothing about these things.
Can someone refer me to a really good one for $150 or less? It would be cool to have one that talked to you.

Thanks!

My wife just got one (Garmin/nuvi) for her birthday (Nov.7th) and it was the second from the top of the line available at that moment I beileve. It was a bit more than a $150 and worth it. Simple to use and updateable with maps as well as add on's that can be purchazsed seperatly. The next model up had them included. But some of the options seemed unwarranted or not needed for her. I'd buy another one for my daughter in a min. flat when she starts driving.

I'm not sure what else is out there and bang for the buck wise, but I would for surley recomend this to anyone. Pay the piper.

Cool! this would be a Christmas present. I'll look up that one.

There seems to be different model numbers. Do you know which one? 202 or something??

my wife and i both have nuvi 760's. only thing that is a pain in the butt is the updated maps are gigantic, close to 2 gigs if i remember, and i am limited to 300 megs of downloading a day so it took a while...

Many of the newer cell phones have GPS systems integrated if you don't want a separate device.....

Go with Garmin or Tom-Tom with spoken street names. Don't waste your money on any of the off-brands, they are not worth taking home!
I have a Garmin 755W, and love it!

I just bought the wife a Garmin Nuvi 855 for Christmas. The one feature that sold me on it was the voice recognition. That allows the wife to just say where she wants to go instead of tapping in an address while she is driving. Just a little bit safer.

Jack

I've got a Nextar Q-3 , and I 've had it for about 2 years with zero issues, and I use it every single day for my mobile service business.

You can update it online and it is well below your price range.

I paid about $145 for it back then.

It's only $79 right now.

My brother did some research into them to get one for my Mom a couple of years ago. All I remember him saying is that the Magellans were junk.

I've had the Garmin Nuvi 350 which says the name of the street for 3 yrs.. Zero issues, works great.

My brother did some research into them to get one for my Mom a couple of years ago. All I remember him saying is that the Magellans were junk.

I've had a Magellan for two years and haven't had a problem. Very easy to use and about $80

Just to let you guys know, I'm looking into all of these. A lot of work! :)
I like the Garmin 855, but it's a little more than I can afford. I'll keep looking.

Thanks!

I'm looking into this one for $100.00

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Garmin+-+n%26%23252%3Bvi+205W+Portable+GPS/9470556.p?id=1218114755117&skuId=9470556&st=265WT

No matter which one you finally choose, make sure you search the internet for the best price. I got my Garmin at Tiger Direct when they were having a sale. There are a whole bunch of other sites which offer good prices.

Yes, Best Buy is having a Sale. That $100.00 is the best price I found for that model.

Voice street names, huh? Maybe I'll checkout the model up? That 855, is sure cool!

Yes!! My wife just walked in the door and we got one for --------- for Christmas for $118 at Best buy a Garmin - nüvi
The wife got one for her birthday from me early October.

I have two Tom Tom's (a Model 1 3rd ed. and a Model 130) and a my brother and mother inlaw have Garmin Nuvi 200's. These are bottom or close to bottom of the line units and they all work great. They don't have "spoken street names", they just tell you to turn right/left, go straight, merge, ... the street name is on the screen. I have used the ones that speak the street name and don't find it to be a big deal, certainly not worth the differnce in price at the time I purchased mine.

I typically recomend to people a Tom Tom simply because they give you more option on voices (there are 1000's you can down load for free and you can purchase voices to celebrities), more options for how the screen appears with 100's of down loadable skins and icons. All this is done via an application that installs directly off the device onto your PC. This application lets you report map errors which become updates that are a free down load. Also, the Tom Tom comes with maps of US, Canada and Puerto Rico the Nuvi 200 only comes with US if that is important to you.

All that being said last weekend at Wal Mart they had a stack of Tom Tom 325's (bigger screen and spoken street names) for $89. I never though this was something I needed but my kids gave me the Model 1 a couple of years ago and won't be without one. I had to get one for my wife since she was taking mine all the time.

i use a map

Me 2! Then again, I don't mind getting lost when I'm driving my Mopar. (Except when I'm about to run out of gas and the town I'm in rolled up the side walks at 6:00 p, Saturday night.)

-
Back