Anyone know of any SBM rebuild videos?

-

Andre68

Reaction score
Gonna be rebuilding my 318, was wondering if there were any videos of it?

You know I checked youtube and I just cant seem to find any videos... anyone recommend a good book or video? prefer video of course. Thanks!

I have to tell you I can't imagine a video (or a hundred) that could get enough "stuff" all in to be of much help

A few seconds on Google.............

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/mopar-performance/department/books-videos-software

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_k...K+A+ENGINES+Manual+P4876826+FREE+USA+SHIPPING

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Hot-Small-Block-Mopar-Engines/dp/1557884056"]How to Hot Rod Small-Block Mopar Engines: Larry Shepard: 0075478004058: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

For good books, you can't go wrong with a factory service manual; supplement that with "How to Rebuild Small Block Mopars", from HP Books. More pictures and geared for the novice.

For good books, you can't go wrong with a factory service manual; supplement that with "How to Rebuild Small Block Mopars", from HP Books. More pictures and geared for the novice.

These two are a great choice.

If you need any help, let me know, I have built many SB engines and can explain how to do it (a little at a time so as not to get too long on a post).

There are some tips that I have picked up over the years that are not in the books.

Gonna be rebuilding my 318, was wondering if there were any videos of it?

How can there be videos of you building your 318 before you do it?

:scratch:

you know the inside of an engine, be it ford dodge and chev all are close to the same

Yabut they all have their little tricks. In the case of the Mopar SB, making sure all the oil galleries are clean and debri free, as well as the "trick" oil plug(s) (back) in place properly, and this is one place the factory manual falls down somewhat

And swapping parts/ heads etc between engines can get a little interesting

One random warning that comes to mind is to make darn sure that whatever oil pan/ pump combo you use, that the pump does not hit the pan.

We recently had a member fighting a new fireup with no oil pressure, and (I guess) it turns out that interferance between the ARP main studs and the pump broke the pump. Turns out this was a ?? known issue?? with ARP

So far as I know, only Mopar switches pushrod lengths (factory) between mechanical and hydraulic tappets

I actually found this really great dvd (box wrench) on rebuilding V8s in general , I figure with that video and the service manual plus the Building the small block mopar book, I should be good! Plus info from the forum!

For fun look at Passed shows of HorsePower TV. They did a complete small block build of a notchback cuda around 01 or 02.

Well... Now I'm a little torn on what to do engine wise... I'm considering a couple options here now... 1) rebuild my 318 myself and just to have it machined. I was quoted about 1200 for a total rebuild on the motor by a machine shop. So in all honesty, I don't know if I would really be saving anything by rebuilding it myself.
2) find a 318 at a junkyard, or maybe even a 360, and just put that in the car, the issue with that is how do I know if I got good motor or a dud

those are great books ....I rebuilt a 318 and used the books to double check everything .....years later its still running great ....if I can do it ....almost anyone can.

Attachments

• CIMG2074.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 173
  • CIMG2185.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 197
  • CIMG2188.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 173
If you're a total newb then this is where you need to start. Step by step instruction with great photos.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Small-Block-Mopar-William-Burt/dp/1613250584/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378161864&sr=8-2&keywords=Rebuild+mopar"]How to Rebuild the Small-Block Mopar: William Burt: 9781613250587: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

So is there money to be saved in rebuilding it myself?

I had between 5 and 6 hundred into mine...most of my parts came from Ebay and local sources .....its not a race engine, but for everyday street use, it has great power and years later its still running great.

i just bought that book! anything else you guys recommend to do? recommend any rebuild kits?

Good info here. I'm considering rebuilding mine also. I'm not really an engine mechanic but am mechanically inclined. I do mostly bodywork but like mechanical aspect as well. I think I'll use these tips also. Love this website. Thanks guys.

-
Back