Anyone Like Cactus on Their Breakfast Plate?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
We eat "Nopal" (prickly pear) with eggs, or sometimes make a cold "salad" with onion and tomato. It is featured on the Mexican Flag (the eagle is perched on it).

nopal1.jpg

nopal.jpg

flag.png

not very many cactus where I come from but I sure would be willing to try .

My mom used to cook it. My wife doesn't and won't so we don't buy it. I like it. Cactus, jalapeno, and eggs make a delicious breakfast. Im not sure where my mom got the idea or the cactus to cook here in Oklahoma city and no Hispanic in the family.

My parents got married in Ft. Reno, OK during WWII. Mom, as a newlywed, went to the store to purchase artichokes and asked an employee where they were. In turn, the clerk asked her: "What kind of fish is that"?

arti.jpg

My parents got married in Ft. Reno, OK during WWII. Mom, as a newlywed, went to the store to purchase artichokes and asked an employee where they were. In turn, the clerk asked her: "What kind of fish is that"?

View attachment 1715182905

Things haven't changed too much! An artichoke might be easier to find than a cactus though. I love to eat both of 'em.

Nopales :) Good stuff. Makes a nice salad with the addition of some Roma tomatoes, colorful onions, green chile and a little garlic.

They really have a mild flavor, hard to describe. The do emit a kind of gooey "saliva", similar I suppose to the medicinal Aloe Vera plants.

Yum! Tasty with eggs. My mom made them also with cut bits of pork and a tomato based sauce that is spicy. Very tasty with fresh corn tortillas!:)

Greenhouse cactus? That is a serious ground cover down in the unincorporated parts of Yorba Linda, all at the bases of the high tension towers. Never tasted the sweet stuff. And I hate artichokes and brussel sprouts..Anything dipped in mayo=yuck!

Onion, tomato and prickley pear? Sounds like an interesting pico de gallo!

First had cactus at a work luncheon years ago when one of the Hispanic ladies in the shop brought some in. The taste kinda reminded me of green beans.
Good stuff mixed in burritos!

-
Back