anyone on here that rebuilds mopar sure grip chunks?

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i have a 3:23 sure grip chunk in my duster that is not spinning both tires. it is doing a one wheel wonder. i am looking for someone that knows how to rebuild it for me. i will pay a fair price, and would like to find someone in the va, nc area so to avoid the shipping. any help would be appreciated. oh, btw, it is not making any noises or anything, but just is not locking both tires. any clue what a rebuild costs these day just for the labor?

is it the clutch type or cone type? Clutch type, just order a set of clutches and put them in yourself. Pretty easy to do. Cone type, is another story.

is it the clutch type or cone type? Clutch type, just order a set of clutches and put them in yourself. Pretty easy to do. Cone type, is another story.

i do not know what one it is yet, but if it is the clutch type, does it all have to be rebuilt and reshimmed?

If the pinion bearings are fine, and you are not replacing bearings, just put the new clutches in the carrier and put it back in. You will need to adjust the backlash on the ring/pinion but that is easily done with a dial indicator. I know a lot of guys will just mark the adjusters and put them back in the same spot they were in.

Make sure you keep the bearing caps on the correct side and correct orientation. (should be stamped anyway)

Snagged theses off ebay a while back and thought they might come in handy one day. I think when someone rebuilds a cone type sure grip they machine a little off the small end of the cones so it goes in the carrier a little deeper.

Clutch style

fP0ag.jpg

Cone

spnso.jpg

Let me ask a question before something is assumed. Have you ever had the rear apart? How long have you owned the car? Are you dead certain it is a sure grip? If you bought the car and never had it apart then you may have bought something you thought you were getting. Just a thought. I'm too far away from ya but if you had the parts and a 12 pk of MGD you could bring it over and we'd handle it. Make sure it's a sure grip.
Small Block

well, i jacked it up and they both spin forward...........................................................?

well, i jacked it up and they both spin forward...........................................................?

That should be a posi then.

I have done the clutch thing in mine, not a big deal. But I have never attempted to fix a cone type. For the most part, not always true, but if you have a 741 or 742 case, they are usually clutch type. I have never seen a clutch type, always seen the cone, in a 489 case.

ill go out to see what case it is. but when i jack both sides up, they both spin in the same direction, but when i let one side down, i can still spin the other side with slight resistance

i just checked and it is a 741 case

Could very well be the original and could very well be a cone type.

I had a 3:91 741 case cone sure grip out of an a-body. It even had late 1971 date codes on the ring and pinion.

I betting it is original and a cone.

Chuck

Dont sound right. Hope ya find someone close to help ya out. Sometimes distance is a bad thing unless your dealing with a sorry X.
Small Block

i really do not have time to pull it right now, so i hope it wont hurt it anymore by just driving it.......

-
Back