Anyone own an AMC?

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
Does anyone on here own or like AMC products besides me?
I dont own an AMC, heck, i dont even have an A-body. Im just wondering

I had a 70 AMX and would love to have another, I'd take a 68 or 69 Rebel though too. The AMX 390 motor wasn't the best though. They'd run like hell but would spin main bearings, and that just could have been how I drove them too...

Just rebuilt my dads 304. 1972 AMC Javelin auto.

cherrypicker.jpg

moparsinthepark041.jpg

I don't have any now but I once owned a Metropolitan convertible. I like the Marlin and the Javelin and also those 2 door Matadors with the unusual styling.

My neighbors bought a new '70 Sportabout, it was quick and seats and door panels had a funky pattern. One thing we always wondered about was the "Weather-Eye" a/c had a setting "DESERT ONLY." Living in Florida didn't dare use it and always wondered what it was all about and what would happen if we did. Anyone?

My neighbors bought a new '70 Sportabout, it was quick and seats and door panels had a funky pattern. One thing we always wondered about was the "Weather-Eye" a/c had a setting "DESERT ONLY." Living in Florida didn't dare use it and always wondered what it was all about and what would happen if we did. Anyone?

Isnt it obvious? You use it to keep your dessert from melting.:toothy10:

I like the Javelins the most, the Marlins and Rebels are really cool as well! You never really see the 2 door ambassadors really, but when you do, you can't help but plant your eyes firmly on it, they look kinda like a blue whale with the grill, but they still look cool! :cheers:

LUV AMC's ... 69 390 AMX , Rambler/Scrambler .... Scramblers pricing out of control.. a nice AMX 25.000 plus. NOT ready to give up my F and A bodies ..

I always liked the 2-seater AMX's. Didn't much care for them after they made it part of the Javelin lineup. Marlins were too bulky for my taste.
Just last week I saw a Pacer on a SoCal freeway - now that was an unusual offering from AMC. Anyone remember the old TV and print ads showing how you could pull a same-year Chevy Nova inside the Pacer body dimensions because the Pacer was so wide?

If anyone has followed my posts, you know that I am a third generation AMC guy; but my last AMC project has just gone on to be a group project for a mens church group- maybe we'll get some new car guys out of the deal!

My 64 Ambassador 990. Luv telling everyone it's NOT a Chev 327!

64Rambler990 001.jpg

64Rambler990 001.jpg

I grew up in AMC's. Dad bought a brand new '73 Sportabout that I learned to drive in, amongst other things :-D. We had a Rambler before that, but I don't remember it much.

In high school, four of my friends had 304 Gremlins. One was the fastest car in school.

I have a friend that has a blown 401 Rogue, purple with black vinyl top. And another that has a 401 Gremlin, yellow with black stripes.

My buddy that I've known since we were four is looking at a '66 Marlin with a 327 in it. All original from the original owner, his aunt.

And here's a couple of pics from our recent Mopar show in Parksville. The two door Matador and a nice Rambler Ambassador.

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2222.JPG

My former AMC cars:

'68 AMX 390/auto - rusty parts car turned back halfed drag car
'69 AMX 390/4 speed - red car w tan interior, tilt, 3.54 twin grip
'69 Rambler American 2 door post - 232/auto 42k actual miles
'66 Ambassador DPL 2 door hardtop - 327 4 barrel/4 speed, buckets, console, ps, pdb, same color as the one in last pic above- very rare car

Sold em all when I got laid off several years ago. Actually kinda glad I did, got into AMC for something a little different and it started taking over and becoming an obsession

My best friend Todd has a 65' Marlin. 327 auto, torque tube driveshaft. He has the car for sale. I think he is looking to get about $2,500. Needs body work but definatly a sweet car and would be awesome restored. I do not have any pics of it but could get em if anyone is interested. Car is located in Lynn, Massachusetts. I wish I had the money to just buy it and restore it. Love the body lines of the Marlin.

Love Javelins, AMXs, Rebel Machines. The family car when I was a kid was a '70 Ambassador wagon. I had a '65 Rambler Classic 770 wagon a few years ago. My brother-in-law has it now.

My sisters first car was a 63 Rambler with a 6 in it and manual everything. Used 2 feet on the brake pedal. That car had some clean lines, like an old Chevy 2 but just a tad rounder. Ran like a sewing machine and about as powerful. Perfect first car. I had a chance to buy a Rebel "Machine" but couldnt get the cash in time. 4 speed/3xx motor, looked pretty cool in the add. Green with crazy "Machine" graphics. There was an AMX in our old condo complex, painted Sublime greenish, Chevy/Ford couldnt pull that color off, but Mopar and AMC did. Must have been the common 727 trans.....There was a 40x Gremlin in our autoshop back in '85. No one touched it as it was way "uncool" back then. I remember the motor size as it was still pretty big back then for that small car. Pacer was supposed to get a rotary engine as originally designed, hence the round styling, we had one as a rental car in OH back in 78(?) those doors were HEAVY!

Allow me to change gears from car to 4X4 as this IS a topic I can speak on without hesitation. I had a '79 CJ5 with an almost stock 304 V8. My dad bought it from a friend for himself back in '84 and put a fiberglass tub on it and did some suspension mods and installed 33" tires. He drove it very little. It sat for several years in his garage. In '02 I bought it from my dad. Replaced the entire brake and fuel system. Added a 2bbl Holley and fenderwell exit exhaust. I drove it ALOT! Rain, snow, mud, wind, hills, dry pavement to drift busting......the worst of the worst conditions you could ever imagine! It never failed me once, not one single time. Wish I still had it!

I have a 1974 hornet and just bought a 1987 grand wagoneer.Also had a 74 J10 pickup. Mark

Do Jeeps count, I have a 73 cj5 with a mild 401 4speed rock crawler and a two wheel drive fiberglass 1980 cj7 stretched with a hot 401 727auto, 4:10s spool for the dunes.

Do Jeeps count, I have a 73 cj5 with a mild 401 4speed rock crawler and a two wheel drive fiberglass 1980 cj7 stretched with a hot 401 auto, 4:10s spool for the dunes.

Jeeps count. Especially those two with the 401s lol. Man, I really didnt expect this good of a response on this thread. I most expected a "This is for a bodies ONLY" :angry7:

Some badass cars you guys have

Never owned one but always liked the Javelin and AMX. My all-time favorite driver and his car back in the day, saw Mark finish in 2nd place behind Parnelli at Laguna Seca, 1970.

1970LagunaSecaMarkDonohue-vi.jpg

If anyone has followed my posts, you know that I am a third generation AMC guy; but my last AMC project has just gone on to be a group project for a mens church group- maybe we'll get some new car guys out of the deal!

And I will be heading up that ministry. While not officially the owner of it - the men of the group and the church will be - I'll be the build team leader on a '74 AMC Javelin. Thanks, Brian! If there's any interest in it, I'll post a build thread on it.

Pop was AMC through and through before he caught the Mopar bug. Jeeps and Ramblers were his family trucksters. Some of my earliest car memories are from his and Momma's '72 Commando with a 304 and 3 speed. My brother's earliest car memory is helping Pop rebuild the engine in a Willys Jeep pick up.

i don,t now but back in the day i had a 68 343 jav sst. and the nice one i own was a 70 jav sst 360 4v car was highly opt. not a mark douh. but had everthing on it ram air hood ,horn ring wheel, dealer install am/fm/8track.auto on the floor.

And I will be heading up that ministry. While not officially the owner of it - the men of the group and the church will be - I'll be the build team leader on a '74 AMC Javelin. Thanks, Brian! If there's any interest in it, I'll post a build thread on it.

Pop was AMC through and through before he caught the Mopar bug. Jeeps and Ramblers were his family trucksters. Some of my earliest car memories are from his and Momma's '72 Commando with a 304 and 3 speed. My brother's earliest car memory is helping Pop rebuild the engine in a Willys Jeep pick up.

Definately Ramenth!! You should post it up, but I have to ask if your gonna paint it one of the Big Bad colors:-D

My brother owned this 1970. 390 Go Package 4-speed

I drove it quite a bit.

AMX03.jpg

AMX04.jpg

AMX11.jpg

AMX17.jpg

Here's one that I had....a 79 I think

spiritamx_Medium_3.jpg

Was a 258 6 cyl.....offy alum 4-barrel intake......clifford header with
dual exhaust.....4-speed.....ported head...holley 4-barrel

A fun ride

-