Anyone own an AMC?

-
Definately Ramenth!! You should post it up, but I have to ask if your gonna paint it one of the Big Bad colors:-D

The decision making will be up to the team as to what it gets painted. But I can think of several eye-catching paint colors and schemes...:-D A Big Bad color, or maybe a couple, could be persuaded.

The only thing I'm insistent on with the build is that it be an automatic. Not everyone can drive stick and I want everyone who works on it to be able to drive it.

I almost forgot, I owned another Hornet about 20 years ago.

I think it was a 74, maybe later, I seem to remember it having the "Levi's" interior. Could be wrong, tho.

First car that my son ever drove. OK, not really drove, but pulled it out of park while it was in the driveway and ended up across the road in the ditch. You can see how young he was then, maybe two years old.

Adam and I.jpg

Love AMC products.. they had stylists and engineers not afraid to think outside the box, and they get even more crap from Chevy/Ford guys than we do.

Never owned one yet, but I'll have my fingers crossed on Sept. 18 when the winning raffle ticket is drawn on this honey:
82eaglewagonBE.jpg

My parents bought a new 1980 Eagle station wagon. Had the am/fm/cb radio. It had a lot of problems hood release lever broke off almost immediately so kept a pair of vise grips in car. It kept flooding and dealership after several weeks found the carb bowl was cracked. Never figured out why it kept blowing voltage regulators. It became my sister's car when they bought an 85 Cherokee. Was a fun truck with a 5-speed, except with my mom behind the wheel in Denver traffic not having it in the correct gear when pulling into a busy intersection. My brother's first car was a 73 Hornet station wagon with the 258 c.i. He would race me in my Duster with a 198 c.i. and kick my *** every time. His Hornet's yellow with tan interior didn't compare with my Duster's Rallye Red with white interior though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy4tqr6YqI0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy4tqr6YqI0[/ame]

AMX tach installed

Thanks. It took 2 months to get it to work. I installed a pertronix ignitor last year. The tach needed an upgraded board to work with electronic ignition. Got the part from dash worx for $90.00. It would work great for the first couple minutes than get a mind of its own. Turns out the Accel super crap yellow coil was the culprit. Threw in my spare MSD Blaster 2 and presto tach works.

I like the Spirits and have owned several Jeeps, but the only real AMCs were 2 Gremlins. 1 had a swapped-in 401 and busted grill/radiator, the not running 6 cyl. I fixed the 401 and sold it. It was scary-fast, I think I owned it for 3 weeks. I cut the other one in half, made a funky trailer out of the back half to haul firewood, and sold the front for scrap. I think I ended up making about $1000 on the whole deal, but I'm sure not looking to buy another Gremlin!

Pics of my AMC's. All were sold roughly 8 years ago, after being laid off from very good factory job.

The brown AMX was a rusty 390 automatic car destined for parting out, and halfway there. Perfect candidate for a drag car. I did a chassis engineering 4 link back half kit, front was custom crossmember and Mustang II a-arms and coil overs. I regretted the Mustang II stuff later, was wanting to redo the front for struts.

The red car was 390 4 speed originally matador red, go pack, tilt, 3.54 twin grip. Shown here waiting engine rebuild. Couldn't find my pics of it in running condition. I built a nice streetable 401 for it, ended up running best of 11.92 @ 116.4.

AMXs.jpg

Here are the Ramblers of the collection. Yellow car is '66 Ambassador DPL, 327 4 speed, buckets, console, ps, pdb - pretty damn rare car. Grey one is a '69 American with 44k actual miles, 232 automatic, bare bones. Was planning to swap in a real mild 401 for fast daily driver. Green car is just a '67 Rebel with 290 3 speed on column - was a $300 beater I drove to work for about a year before it started having major problems.

Ramblers.jpg

I had an 81 spirit with a 440 a few years back sold it to a guy in minneapolis who parted it out. Was black with pro stars and a aero scoop. Twin to the one in the first photo.

Now getting my 79 spirit back that I biult a few years ago with a 318 and 904. Tradeing my 66 cuda for it.:blob:

Attachments

• 21784614003_large.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 39111274001_large.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 253
Yes I do. I have 69 Rebel wagon with a 343. I bought it because all the Mopar wagon I looked at were overpriced. I also have a 68 AMX 390 auto that I've owned since high school. Just recently finished restoring after 23 years.

Attachments

• AMX1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Wagnoqn.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 235
Way back in the day, I owned this 1971 Rebel 304. What an engine,304,343,360,390,401 all used the same block and were full interchange able. Stanard with triple angle valve seats many with high flow heads. The little 304 pulled 6,000rpm with ease and still could return 25mpg at 70 mph. The sound though the lake pipes was unbelievable, so crisp and clean. Just made you look for an excuse to drive and drive hard!
Sorry for the poor quality photos but they were taken on a snap shot camera 30 years ago!
View attachment 4.jpg

View attachment 5.jpg

View attachment 6.jpg

A friend has a few 64 Rambler American's. He has a 2 door, a 2 door rag top, and a 4 door. He's slowly restoring the 4 door, for whatever reason. Personally I'd do the 2 door or rag top.

You can see the 2 door past the Dart in this pic.

DSC017472.jpg

A few have recently popped up for sale around here.

Gremlin..
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/2645324516.html

"Lime green amc gremlin x, 258 straight six, automatic tranny, front disc, rear drums, no a/c, ps, pb, all original, not running, project car, did drive to where it sits now though, car has been in the family since new, but now my family is growing and I just won't be able to get to it any time soon, please email me if you are interested. Thanks."

5Y25U25X33n43of3l9bafd8b8a3ef39ec1d9f.jpg

5Y35W25R33kc3m63l6baff28e76e4216c1815.jpg

69 AMX 4 speed 390

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/2764335642.html

"very clean rust free local car
clean black deluxe interior,bucket seats, factory tachometer
go pac 3.55 posi, dual exhaust
rally stripes, magnum 500 wheels
disc brakes power steering
re built motor clutch and brakes done.

has the optional space saver spare tire
tire jack inflation bottle and tools.
super rare factory owners manual
nicely detailed,well maintained runs tight and strong.
ready for your collector plates.

21.500 OBO"

5I15K25F73Id3F33Nfbclf3c3b895c7f01da5.jpg

5Ga5F95M73I23Nf3H3bcl3c0267583dfe1cfa.jpg

5Lc5Ne5Md3Ke3Fb3J4bclcc65d562fed41d9f.jpg

I had a '68 AMX some years ago & I'm thinking after my A100 the next car will be an AMC. A friend of mine used to be in charge of installing the 401s at Randall's AMC in the 70s & another friend has raced 'em for years so I have plenty of support. I'm just trying to figure out what body to use, the engine stuff is easy.....

I'm painting a '74 Gremlin for my buddy right now. Was 258, now 360 w/ac, disc brakes, etc. He's also got a '71 258 that is now a 4.0L w/OD auto, EFI, etc. He's also the 2nd owner of an unrestored '69 AMX 304 w/AC.

Attachments

• 100_2243.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 220
  • 100_2245.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 234
Ive always loved AMXs and Javelins. Especially 4 speed cars.

not mine but a couple pics for the cause, my favorite AMCs.......the rebel machine and the SC/rambler......

Attachments

• amc-sc-rambler_69_tom-drew_2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 1969-AMC-SC-Rambler-3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 249
  • sc.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 203
I've recently been offered first bid on a '69 Javelin, original 390/4 speed, Big Bad car. We've yet to negotiate on terms of the sale.

-
Back