Anyone own Eastwood welder-spool gun combo?

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
I had to replace my MAC 110 wire welder several years ago. It was an excellent machine and welded aluminum very well. The Clark machine I have now is fine for mild steel but just doesn't cut it on aluminum (failure of research on my part). I am wanting to get a 220 volt machine to handle some heavier stuff without breaking out the stick welder. The Eastwood package deal is very tempting for under $500.

p42375.jpg

Well, it's got a 3yr warranty and a trial period, so you're not risking much to try it. IME, the Chicom stuff is OK if it's not dead on arrival due to handling or crap assembly. If you're not using it for commercial purposes, I think most people are willing to trade dealer/retailer support for lower cost. That's the big thing with Miller/Lincoln IME, you have issues, you can up the local store and get sorted right away, because you're losing money being down.

That ground clamp has to go 1st thing; get a decent ground, save yourself the frustration. S/F....Ken M

I tend to purchase that type of equipment based on support and if parts will be available 5 years later. My luck with that machine would be the 4th time I used it 3.5 years later and it craps out. I have a 20 year old snap-on mig, spool gun. Parts and support are still there. Same as the other co's mentioned. Just seems to me with the different equipment I have used, the better welders have a more stable arc and better duty cycle.

I just bought a wire gun for my 180 Linc Mig. Sorry but have not had time to ring it out.

I don't remember. This was "as new" but missing the original box, basically. Seems to me about 160? It's supposed to be "plug and play" for the 180 MIG. I don't remember, I think you have to reverse the polarity, don't recall

Thanks, have the same welder was looking for a gun.

I`ve got the eastwood 175, and love it ! it came w/ the spool gun, but I haven`t tried to learn it yet.

I used to run a spool gun on reefer trailer floor plate, side rails etc and other than the bulk of it pretty nice work.

I haven't purchased the eastwood welder yet but I do own one of their plasma cutters and has done me well. I think this is my 4th or 5th year using it. The eastwood welder with the spool gun has been something I have been toying with purchasing.

I'd look into another brand of welder. I'll tell you why. A couple of years ago Eastwood sent out a flyer about a MIG welding class they were offering on a Saturday afternoon at their Pottstown, Pa. store. While we all know that Eastwood wants to sell welders & while they were offering tips on how to improve your welding skills, they were hoping to impress & entice you into buying one of their welders. As we got started into the hands on part of the day they had us in 2 groups using 2 machines. The welder my group was using kept pulsing erratically when trying to lay a bead. So they un boxed another 1 for us to use. That 1 wouldn't power up! Lights came on, fans operating but no power. They figured a problem with the transformer. Welder #3 seemed to work properly for us. But then the other group's welder started to act screwy! So I'd say their quality control & product itself isn't that good. You would figure if it doesn't work for them reliably(and they're trying to sell you one)
you may run into similar problems. Also I always see a lot of open box & scratch & dent welders for sale outside their door when I walk up.
I have a Miller & Love it! Haven't used a spool gun because I TIG any aluminum work I have, but I think you get what you pay for.

I'd look into another brand of welder. I'll tell you why. A couple of years ago Eastwood sent out a flyer about a MIG welding class they were offering on a Saturday afternoon at their Pottstown, Pa. store. While we all know that Eastwood wants to sell welders & while they were offering tips on how to improve your welding skills, they were hoping to impress & entice you into buying one of their welders. As we got started into the hands on part of the day they had us in 2 groups using 2 machines. The welder my group was using kept pulsing erratically when trying to lay a bead. So they un boxed another 1 for us to use. That 1 wouldn't power up! Lights came on, fans operating but no power. They figured a problem with the transformer. Welder #3 seemed to work properly for us. But then the other group's welder started to act screwy! So I'd say their quality control & product itself isn't that good. You would figure if it doesn't work for them reliably(and they're trying to sell you one)
you may run into similar problems. Also I always see a lot of open box & scratch & dent welders for sale outside their door when I walk up.
I have a Miller & Love it! Haven't used a spool gun because I TIG any aluminum work I have, but I think you get what you pay for.

I`ve had mine for 4 yrs., done all the welding on my car, built a few things, and absolutely love it ! had a couple of American airlines guys use it, they liked it , but said it was a little hot, and turned it down from the way I was welding w/ it.

-
Back