Anyone own police scanners?

-
Just scanned... Hold on, here is my Uncle "Ozzie" for short, his name was Oswald. Btw, He was 6' easy, that ws one huge horse.

Edit: attaching....

Crap... Hold on... It'ts the Windows Vs. Linux thing. :)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 24 01.21.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 60
Holy Smokehouse did that take some work! Whew!

Anyway, that's my uncle Ozzie and God Bless his soul...

Just scanned... Hold on, here is my Uncle "Ozzie" for short, his name was Oswald. Btw, He was 6' easy, that ws one huge horse.

Edit: attaching....

Crap... Hold on... It'ts the Windows Vs. Linux thing. :)

maybe its the rum, but you lost me on that one.

maybe its the rum, but you lost me on that one.

I had to scan on a windows machine, then resize via gimp, transfer to my server, copy to another Linux machine in my garage and post. :D

It's hard being an old guy in a new world...

He was the real deal. Picture in post #26.

as soon as I posted the picture showed up lol that sure seems like a lot of work considering there are easier ways to do it lol

I had to scan on a windows machine, then resize via gimp, transfer to my server, copy to another Linux machine in my garage and post. :D

It's hard being an old guy in a new world...

He was the real deal. Picture in post #26.

Up in this area my Gramps spent a large part of his life as a carpenter for the area USFS. He's built many fire towers and other buildings up here. Some of the towers he's built....TWICE. I was a youngster visiting Gisborne Mt:

http://www.firelookout.com/id/gisborne.html

just after "gramps" had built the then new tower, around '58

Some of the peaks he worked on they had to mule train tools and materials in. Of course back then, you didn't have portable generators, power tools, or rechargeable drills. You did it by HAND

What flavor of LInux do you run? I recently "went" to upgrade Ubuntu, and am TOTALLY pissed off with "Unity." I tried and failed, to get to like Suse, and am for the moment running "Mint."

Boy, we got this thread AFU, didn't we?

Up in this area my Gramps spent a large part of his life as a carpenter for the area USFS. He's built many fire towers and other buildings up here. Some of the towers he's built....TWICE. I was a youngster visiting Gisborne Mt:

http://www.firelookout.com/id/gisborne.html

just after "gramps" had built the then new tower, around '58

Some of the peaks he worked on they had to mule train tools and materials in. Of course back then, you didn't have portable generators, power tools, or rechargeable drills. You did it by HAND

What flavor of LInux do you run? I recently "went" to upgrade Ubuntu, and am TOTALLY pissed off with "Unity." I tried and failed, to get to like Suse, and am for the moment running "Mint."

Boy, we got this thread AFU, didn't we?

Lol! Who derailed this train anyway? :mrgreen: My apologies to the OP. :prayer:

That is just stunning country! Yep, Uncle Ozzie got a job out in the wilderness right after WWII. I suppose those kinds of battles will change a man forever.

I'm using CentOS. It's the free version of Redhat which is pretty much the industry standard and has very few "kiddy games". You can download the live CD and see if you like it. BTW, CentOS stands for "Community/Enterprise Operating System".

I'm using CentOS. It's the free version of Redhat.

I may try that. I'm pretty happy so far with Mint, only issue is wired ethernet is an intermittant problem This new Asus has an Atheros card which was bought out by Qualcom. In the web page changeover, they removed the wrapped drivers I seem to need.

Mint SEEMS to have changed dramatically from last time I used it a few years ago. It seems to have gotten more like Ubuntu, with a lot of software sources.
which is pretty much the industry standard and has very few "kiddy games". You can download the live CD and see if you like it. BTW, CentOS stands for "Community/Enterprise Operating System"
Ubuntu was (Gnome) worked great for me until I tried to upgrade. I've found NO solution to this Unity **** that has been foisted upon us. These guys need to take a step back. Not all of us wants our notebook or desktop to look like Steve Jobs built the damn thing.

Lol! Who derailed this train anyway? :mrgreen: My apologies to the OP. :prayer:

That is just stunning country! Yep, Uncle Ozzie got a job out in the wilderness right after WWII. I suppose those kinds of battles will change a man forever.

I'm using CentOS. It's the free version of Redhat which is pretty much the industry standard and has very few "kiddy games". You can download the live CD and see if you like it. BTW, CentOS stands for "Community/Enterprise Operating System".

No worries Joe. That is beautiful country up there.

Getting back to the original thread.....

When I was on the fire/rescue dept. in Marion County (Ocala/Silver Springs) Florida back in the 80s and early 90s..we had a primary channel for central fire dispatch, run by the Marion County Sheriff's Dept.
We also had a secondary low power truck to truck frequency and all the depts used that for back-up and non-emerg. chatter.
As asst. chief and later chief, I had a 4 channel portable radio.
My father-in-law as well as my brother-in-law were into ham radio and my FIL worked at the Voice Of America in Mason,Ohio so he was very knowledgeable about high powered radios. He modded my portable by adding a bunch of power to the high output side and adding the unobtainable Fl Highway Patrol base to car freq, and the SOs secondary freq.
On the high output, I could reach out and hit the SO from about 30 miles out, but I only had about 40 seconds of talk time. When you are out in the boonies, it is nice to be able to reach out and touch somebody.
They never did figure that one out.
Now everything is encryepted.

He modded my portable by adding a bunch of power to the high output side and adding the unobtainable Fl Highway Patrol base to car freq, and the SOs secondary freq.

I would NOT be bragging this around. "Modding" commercial radios is highly illegal, as well as the popular deal about using ham radios on public service/ other commercial freqs.

In addition, transmitting on unauthorized freqs is a huge violation if you happen to get caught.

Another little tidbit fer ya. You might have thought you were really burnin' up the airwaves, but you have to DOUBLE the transmitter OUTPUT power for every 3dB you "see" in the receiver at the other end. Since the FM transmitters are around 70& efficient, this means you have to have a lot MORE of that going into the tx and coming OUT of the battery.

(In "calibrated S meter" talk, that's only 1/2 an S unit, or in CB lingo, "1/2 a pound")

So, doubling transmitter power is very hard on the battery and tx, and doesn't get you much.

-
Back