anyone put power windows in their 69 dart?

-

ninesixxjr

1969 Dodge Dart Western Sport Special
Reaction score
wondering what it would take to put power windows in my 69 dart...as i see no kits that can do all 4. would i have to fab something up? thanks in advanced..

@66Dvert has a thread about adding power windows in his 66 convertible. I liked how he did it and did the same procedure in my 65 Dart wagon conversion to a 2 door

I bought a kit from classic industries to install them in a 73 swinger. No matter what I did I couldnt get the window to go up and down smoothly. When everything was adjusted right it just didnt have enough *** to raise the window. After several hours of messing with it I yanked them out and put the stock regulators in.
The smaller windows of a 4 door would have likely worked fine. There are universal motors you can install on your stock regulators to convert them. You might check those out.

Nice, i did power locks already and it wasn't to hard. Power windows might need a little more fab work
I used the existing manual regulator, drilled out the rivets holding he manual crank on after REMOVING the spring( on the second one, first one tried to take my thumb off when I forgot to remove spring) I then made a C shaped piece of metal with the power window mounting hole on it and welded it to the old regulator, I use all mopar parts from a salvage yard. total cost was 1/3rd of what a kit would have cost me AND with less work that using a kit. using mopar power window motors you get one that's a bit too fast for my tastes and I added a resistor to slow it down a bit

I bought a kit from classic industries to install them in a 73 swinger. No matter what I did I couldnt get the window to go up and down smoothly. When everything was adjusted right it just didnt have enough *** to raise the window. After several hours of messing with it I yanked them out and put the stock regulators in.
The smaller windows of a 4 door would have likely worked fine. There are universal motors you can install on your stock regulators to convert them. You might check those out.
I used the existing manual regulator, drilled out the rivets holding he manual crank on after REMOVING the spring( on the second one, first one tried to take my thumb off when I forgot to remove spring) I then made a C shaped piece of metal with the power window mounting hole on it and welded it to the old regulator, I use all mopar parts from a salvage yard. total cost was 1/3rd of what a kit would have cost me AND with less work that using a kit.
Thanks for the info guys, sounds like using a universal motor is the way to go. my next question would be how did you wire it to a switch? can i use any universal power window switch? if possible i would like to use something like the these switches below. I personally like the look of them.

GPW-KIT31.jpg

I'd have been pissed,just for the fact of going through the trouble, did you return em?

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like using a universal motor is the way to go. my next question would be how did you wire it to a switch? can i use any universal power window switch? if possible i would like to use something like the these switches below. I personally like the look of them.

View attachment 1716054280
Those kinda look old school. Probably that Chrome look everything such plastic junk these days and has been for decades...

View attachment 1716054280
those switches will work, but be aware the universal motors have less torque than the stock mopar motors from a dodge ram or dakota truck (lots less) and the mopar ones fit the manual gear on the stock regulator from the early 50's to the late 90's round barrel bodies on the motors are better than the flat sided ones but they are still more powerful than the universal ones.

those switches will work, but be aware the universal motors have less torque than the stock mopar motors from a dodge ram or dakota truck (lots less) and the mopar ones fit the manual gear on the stock regulator from the early 50's to the late 90's round barrel bodies on the motors are better than the flat sided ones but they are still more powerful than the universal ones.
Ok I didn’t think of that, I have to hit up the junk yard, maybe I will get luck and find some…

Ok I didn’t think of that, I have to hit up the junk yard, maybe I will get luck and find some…
90's- to atl least 2005 dakotas have the motors and rams till 97 so far that I have found have the motors that fit, but 1980 to 1993 ram trucks have the stronger round body ones

-
Back