Anyone Remember GEMCO Stores?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I don't know how "GEMCO" popped into my head this evening, I remember seeing those "membership" super stores as a youngster. Mom probably shopped there, but I don't have any memory of the sort.

Gemco.jpg

Before banks were open on Saturdays. I used the Gemco in Chula Vista to cash my paycheck. I had to buy something to do so, soooo I went to the Sporting Goods Dept and collected a little Ruger 10-22 to complete the transaction. :rofl:

Gemco....They were great stores, we had one in Fremont CA. Just about everything there, groceries too. You could cash your checks saving a trip to the bank.

That picture is of the store on Broadway in Sacramento CA. You can see the TOWER theater in the background. It is a TARGET now.
Back when GEMCO was around, they required membership to enter. My friends and I used to just blend into a group of people, sometimes families that went through.
Once at about the age of 10 I merged in with a black family and really thought I'd get stopped. I made it through.

I remember going to one in California, I think Stockton, back in the day. When I moved to Virginia, I would shop at Memco, a sister store to Gemco.

b0f9399cfdd93b317a5e2a81b2e9aba2.jpg
images (7).jpg

-
Back