Anyone Running a cowl induction Hood on a 73 Duster

-
haha i was shocked when i saw this thread at the top of the list. That's too funny. That car looks clean!!!

Another chevy Duster. Even the Chrysler engineers researched this scoop & found it not worth having!

This statement is sort of amusing. Is this the same engineers that put a sunken grill, and flying buttresses on a Dodge Charger because they thought it would be aero-dynamic, and had to farm out the aero ideas to a Saturn Rocket engineer at NASA. If you can pull air from a low pressure area it works, maybe better sometimes, than others, but it works. The only scoops that work on Chrysler automobiles, that actually function are those that are fixed above the boundary layer, about 3.5" height.
The E bugger hype is such bad propagandi. Mass produced products are all compromise, and generally crap. Hot rodding is about - " For every modification, there's a sacrifice." Un-ding the crap. That's the part where imagination, and ingenuity collide.

The The cowl hood is a good choice on most cars that do not have a modified engine compartment.

The engine compartment on uni-body cars are sealed. Years back we would lift the rear of the hood to let the air out that flows through the grille.

Most fast full grill cars will run a cowl hood for this reason. Cutting out the fender wells also helps if you run a scooped hood on a naturally aspirated car. Seal the scoop to create forced induction and cut the wells out to reduce lift.

A-bodies really get lift on the big end if you have the power to get the speed. Letting the air out from under the hood any way you can helps.

So with this said. Choose a scoop for what you are building. Will it be used to grab air. Or will it be used to relieve pressure. If its for looks? Do what ever you like

Attachments

• Picture 056.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 461
Before I disagree with you, let me agree with you. I've seen a few really fast cars, that are up here. So you're probably dead to rights on your statement.
That said , it's time for "un-ding", ( is that how I spelled it before. In my experience ( and I'm probably wrong.) I used to live in Monroe twp N.J. right down the street from Englishtown. I had a 496 RB in a 1973 challenger with a steel shaker hood, complete with factory seals, sweet looking but totally useless. The little helicopter seems that fall from maples would fall through the grilled openings, I could drive 10 miles, and they will have hardly budged. I had a 1969 Barracuda with a fiberglass 6 pk hood, went from 69 front /78 rear jets, to 71 front/78 rear jets, it seemed to effect the engine, hacked it off, and replaced it with a super stock hemi hood scoop. That seemed even more effective.73 front/78 rear. At this point it should have been a pig, but I managed 17.5 mpg. Still it smelled like gas at idle. If your speed is over 140 mph you need a NASA scientist, but if you need a hood scoop for your skyscraper intake, choose something you're going to like for a long time, cause you'll be stuck with it?
The The cowl hood is a good choice on most cars that do not have a modified engine compartment.

The engine compartment on uni-body cars are sealed. Years back we would lift the rear of the hood to let the air out that flows through the grille.

Most fast full grill cars will run a cowl hood for this reason. Cutting out the fender wells also helps if you run a scooped hood on a naturally aspirated car. Seal the scoop to create forced induction and cut the wells out to reduce lift.

A-bodies really get lift on the big end if you have the power to get the speed. Letting the air out from under the hood any way you can helps.

So with this said. Choose a scoop for what you are building. Will it be used to grab air. Or will it be used to relieve pressure. If its for looks? Do what ever you like

For some its not about function but looks. I frankly don't find the "Mopar" scoops to be good looking. The only one Id consider is the SS hood. Even then it wouldn't be tall enough for me. I do like the looks of the reverse cowl.

you mopar guys are tough!! those snorkel scoops are worthless if low on hood, shelby proved that and moved them forward to grab air and they still didn't func very well. radical cowl hoods are just that RADICAL, on any vehicle. a small 2" cowl hood is very functional.
as far as HEARING THE AIR are you crazy
You cant hear the air go in because it doesn't create the turbulence of the snouts, if you can hear air movement it is because it is sucking through a hole TOO SMALL, you ever wistle through straw, the smaller the easier.
I am not saying put chevelle or shelby stripes on the car but that is a great performance hood for air flow

just having fun

you mopar guys are tough!! those snorkel scoops are worthless if low on hood, shelby proved that and moved them forward to grab air and they still didn't func very well. n

I see, That is probably why everyone with an early Shelby is installing the new upgraded cowl hoods. I think every one that has a factory style scoop on any car should change over to a Shelby style like you say.

Us mopar guys are not that educated. Thanks for letting us know this valuable info. I am going right down to take mine off and throw it in the garbage. Will the air cleaner sticking out the hood conform to shelby's findings of induction perfection? . Or should I get a late model Shelby front clip.

Attachments

• spoiler pics 665.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 459
  • spoiler pics 317.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 410
Or should I get a late model Shelby front clip.

I think that would be best
go ahead and ship that clunky airbrake of a front end to me, ill put it on the 73..erm...I mean, scrap it out for you :salute:

This is a pic of my '72

Attachments

• cc.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 418
  • c.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 413
why not invest in a raised AAR style hood ?
I don't think ive ever seen it on a duster, it is clearly MOPAR and it will keep the carbs out of the rain

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/CUDA-AAR-8INCH-HOOD.JPG

This is a good point, not only if you need to grab air, or need room for your intake, but just in styling cue. I think Chrysler did have some of the coolest scoops.
What I was wondering is - I've been noticing a bunch of sheet metal scoops on the market. Goodmark for instance. With tig welding rigs becoming more affordable, and products like lords fusor bond accessible now. Why couldn't a guy just graft a gtx power bulge hood into a Dodge demon flat hood, or any of the myriad of choices that have manifested over the year's.
I figure it mush be hard, because I don't see this option being researched much, yet I see a few really cool hoods up on ebay that are either rusted or damaged that could be recycled.

Ie: Most crap condition hoods are going to be buckled somewhere, or rusted on the perimeter or inner frame. What if the center of these 2 hoods were grafted, and the rest was discarded. Fusor bond has been used to hold panels to cars for a while now. Is this just too difficult an operation?

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 359
Diggin' up old threads are we? This thread was from 6 years ago...

Putting a cowl hood on a Duster is one of the best ways to get people to say "Nice Nova".

68 340,nice Camaro in your avatar...

LMFAO!!!!!

Personally, I think those cowl scoops look fukin lame on a Mopar...but proven fact is they work well at high speeds....so if your Mopar has one it better be baddass fast...otherwise you should buy a Shivvy

i dont recall him asking if the hood had function he simply likes it and that doesnt seem to sit well with you. he in no way wants to make his mopar out to be anything than a mopar and i see no way that a cowl hood is going to turn a duster into a chevy. once again i understand that it is not your style and you will never install one on your car and that is your decision but i dont see why you need to knock these guys for simply liking something you dont care for. Im sure it would upset you if someone had negative comments about the work you had done to your car or something you wanted to do to your car. Once again the cowl induction would not be my first choice i love the mopar style hoods and i understand the cold air function to them has an advantage of performance along with good looks im just saying you dont need to make someone feel like their preference is dumb just cause you dont personally like it simply stated its his car and in the end you dont have to like it only he does. Nothing personal towards anyone just saying it seems it would be more productive to either give someone good feedback towards their ideas or just say nothing at all unless their ideas are going to get someone hurt no point making someone feel awkward for liking something we dont

amen

-
Back