Anyone running a two-barrel on a hot 318 or 273?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I would be very interested in how moper enthusiasts are modifying 273 and 318 motors and sticking with stock or aftermarket two barrel carburetors, especially the chosen camshafts, quarter mile elapsed times, fuel mileage, and comments from the public. It seems vehicles of this type would hold some interest for those trying to do more with less, one of my personal passions. Pictures of the vehicles themselves would be interesting also.

Stock Eliminator guys do AMAZING things with BBD's and Stromberg 2BBls. Look at the V/SA 273 2bbl Wagons if you want to see what can be done with that basic package.

I'm still running a 2-bbl but the engine is bonestock as well.
Planning on installing shorty headers and a 4bbl intake pretty soon though.

I would be very interested in how moper enthusiasts are modifying 273 and 318 motors and sticking with stock or aftermarket two barrel carburetors, especially the chosen camshafts, quarter mile elapsed times, fuel mileage, and comments from the public. It seems vehicles of this type would hold some interest for those trying to do more with less, one of my personal passions. Pictures of the vehicles themselves would be interesting also.

Why would you want to? The stock 2bbls were a terrible carb. A small 4 barrel and suitable intake work so much better.

Why would you want to? The stock 2bbls were a terrible carb. A small 4 barrel and suitable intake work so much better.

Maybe some people have to work within their budget, or just want to be different.
And the Carter BBD was actually a very good carb for what it was.

How about a holley 500 2bbl and a port matched 2bbl intake? I know 2bbls are measured differently but the 273 responds well to a smaller Carb. I'm going to put a 5.0 throttle body on an elbow and cut the ports out so its one large hole, its a single plane ayway, not going to hurt anything. Will bung runners for injectors. Its a great intake for efi.

I ran the stock carter 2 barrel and intake on a 273 with commando pistons, and a 284 duration solid cam. Was pretty quick but you could hear a whistle from all the air trying to go through that 2 barrel. Went to a Offenhouser intake and factory 273 AFB and that worked great. Swapped the AFB for a 600 Holley and that went OK. Got tired of always messing with the Holley and went back to the AFB. No quarter mile times, mileage was always around 20 mpg, Holley was around 18mpg.

My 318 has a 340 cam and the Rochester 2gv 2bbl.. I get 22 mpg and it runs great. I put a Holly on it for a while and went back to the Rochester.

My 318 has a 340 cam and the Rochester 2gv 2bbl.. I get 22 mpg and it runs great. I put a Holly on it for a while and went back to the Rochester.

My favorite stock sized two barrel ^^^^^^^ period. The easiest carb I ever messed with, and it responds well to simple jetting.

For a larger unit if needed, the 500 Holley, hands down.

-
Back