anyone running a unisteer rack and pinion?

-

wracks71

Reaction score
i am thinking of upgrading to one of these next winter. i don't want to do an alterkation on this car because i have the rest of the suspension planned out already. i am curious how well they are built,hold up,install,and work.

there was a post about them on moparts a while back. quite a few guys had big issues with them once installed.

Ive got one sitting in the box for a customers E body. I'll have to look for the post on Moparts.

My buddy put one in a 65 Coronet. Issues............toe/bumpsteer. According to Unisteer he was the only guy having problems,according to Moparts........not so much! He sold the car to build another(this time w/an Alter-K). I would ask lots of questions!!

My buddy put one in a 65 Coronet. Issues............toe/bumpsteer. According to Unisteer he was the only guy having problems,according to Moparts........not so much! He sold the car to build another(this time w/an Alter-K). I would ask lots of questions!!

yea thats pretty much what i remember the guys at moparts saying. it was more then one guy that had problems too.

oh man wait till he drives the car with the alter-k. he is gonna love it.

I agree with the AlterK.....I have one in my partially complete fat blue fish and the guy who's car is 2 bays over has a 65 belvedere & just got one for his.....he is building an 850hp vintage style drag car with HAND CONTROLS....bad legs.

Anyway..the AlterK is a bit pricey but you get the whole package including brakes, the options for motors are limitless, you get power or manual rack...the racks are cheap in cost to replace if ever a problem...you loose the torsion bars and gain MAX clearance for headers and large cu engines.

Check them out...they are worth it.

I cannot wait to drive mine....I am so close.

Mop

100_1807w.jpg

I agree with the AlterK.....I have one in my partially complete fat blue fish and the guy who's car is 2 bays over has a 65 belvedere & just got one for his.....he is building an 850hp vintage style drag car with HAND CONTROLS....bad legs.

Anyway..the AlterK is a bit pricey but you get the whole package including brakes, the options for motors are limitless, you get power or manual rack...the racks are cheap in cost to replace if ever a problem...you loose the torsion bars and gain MAX clearance for headers and large cu engines.

Check them out...they are worth it.

I cannot wait to drive mine....I am so close.

Mop

the power steering is so wortht eh little extra money. i originally went manual and it rode and sreered great. then after buying a few other things from bill and talking with him about the power set up i had to buy it.. holy crap. it is incredible now with the power steering. and i'm still about 3* caster. one of these days i will put it at about 6* and see how it is. the ratio is so much nicer now.

yea thats pretty much what i remember the guys at moparts saying. it was more then one guy that had problems too.

oh man wait till he drives the car with the alter-k. he is gonna love it.

Oh,he's already put about 5k mi. on it and loves it!! This one is another 65 Coronet, 6.1 Hemi,Alter-k, 545rfe OD,A/C,cruise,etc. Absolutely awesome car.

Abodyjoe.....did you run the reducers in the lines or did you leave them wide open?

Bill gave me a bag with 2-3 different size reduces/restrictors and I wanted to set it up as close as possible one time so I don't have to mess with PS fluid spills.....any input?

VV

Abodyjoe.....did you run the reducers in the lines or did you leave them wide open?

for the power steering? the lines are wide open i think.. hell i forget if i used them or not. i remember seeing them. i did get a shim kit to reduce the pressure that the pump puts out. didn't get that in yet because i have to change the crappy pump thats on the car now.

i was going to put an alerk in my '69 gtx clone,but i didn't want to spend the money on this car for it. i have read there are some options for quick ratio boxes i might check out.

I heard the RMS systems are some of the nicest ones you can buy...unfortunately I'd love to go with one of those systems...but my college student pockets are FAR to shallow to even dream of putting one in my car.

I just installed the uni-steer in to that 71 Cuda. Installation was easy, till you get to the exhaust. Hooker super comps dont fit. Uni-Steer says TTIs do, TTI says even they need some tube dings and its still going to be tight. I really want this car out of my shop. Its becoming a nightmare and I dont see it ending well....

I just installed the uni-steer in to that 71 Cuda. Installation was easy, till you get to the exhaust. Hooker super comps dont fit. Uni-Steer says TTIs do, TTI says even they need some tube dings and its still going to be tight. I really want this car out of my shop. Its becoming a nightmare and I dont see it ending well....

i was wondering about that! i have long tubes on my duster,and the factory steering hits them a little now! i wasn't sure if i would be better off or not. it would suck to drop like $1400 and then it fit like ***!

i was going to put an alerk in my '69 gtx clone,but i didn't want to spend the money on this car for it. i have read there are some options for quick ratio boxes i might check out.

Is the main reason you are looking at a unisteer is for the quicker ratio steering??

What about in line steering quickners? Search the circle track suppliers.

Here's one in the Hotchkis Challenger.

Copy of PICT0531.JPG

Copy of PICT0532.jpg

-
Back