anyone running an msd blaster coil with a tach??

-

DOMINANTmopar

Reaction score
Hi all. I just tried to install a new tach with my msd ignition and msd blaster coil. I am wondering if i need an adaptor to reduce noise in the system because my tach is not working. The light in the tach works though. Have any of you guys experienced this or are you using an msd adaptor?

i ran a sun supertachII with my MSD blaster coil. no problems, no adapters. just the coil, no box

I don't know anything about MSD other than what the destructions which you can download on their website say. Generally, you can NOT trigger most tachs from the coil NEG on an MSD ignition, which so far as I know are all some sort of CD design.

i ran a sun supertachII with my MSD blaster coil. no problems, no adapters. just the coil, no box
I have no problems runnin a sun tach with my blaster coil either. I'm not using an MSD ignition though.....mopar performance orange box.

You can't run the tach wire to the coil with a MSD ignition.The wire from the tach should go to the MSD box.
Hi all. I just tried to install a new tach with my msd ignition and msd blaster coil. I am wondering if i need an adaptor to reduce noise in the system because my tach is not working. The light in the tach works though. Have any of you guys experienced this or are you using an msd adaptor?

Interesting. thanks for the diagrams. I will give it a try. I have a 6A box that came with the car.

I hooked the green wire from the tach to the negative side of the coil as per the instructions, but they did say some aftermarket Ig systems may not operate properly, so an adaptor may be required or the ground may need to come from the battery.

The tach install seemed straight forward, but I have never dealt with MSD before only the factory stuff. I learn stuff everyday. :) thanks

tach needs to be hooked up to msd unit not the coil..as per msd instruction...a old sun pro probably will need a tach adapter...my old sun pro II did...

see on photo...says tach output...put your tach into there

70 aar is correct. There are a few tachs that will work without tach adapter such as Autogage and Autometer maybe one more and the rest must use the tach adapter. Y ou can go to msd website and I believe there is a list for you to check.

If you run MSD coil and factory ignition you can hook tach to coil, if MSD ignition and any coil you use the tach output on the MSD ignition. A "Multi-Spark-Discharge" ignition has its own tach signal for a reason.

yes you have to run it to the msd box thats what i did and it works great

Thanks guys. I hooked up the tach the right way this time and it works like charm. You guys rock.

-
Back