Anyone running overdrive transmission?

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Whats the hot ticket in overdrive transmissions for A-Body Mopars?

Whether or not I run an overdrive is going to have a big impact on my rear end gear choice.....

Thanks in advance!

:cheers:

Just finishing up the install of a fresh 500hp 408" Magnum with a track loc'd 3.91 geared rear end, and a 200R4 transmission with a 3000 rpm stall/ Lock-up clutched Precision of New Hampshire torque converter using a bolt on bellhousing with adapter. I have to bolt the front end back together today and do some test driving.

It did require some cross-member massaging on the driver's side with subsequent additional reinforcement and a custom made cross-member, but the floor didn't need any massaging. It left me with a -2 degree nose down pinion angle. Everything is tucked up nice and neat.

Just finishing up the install of a fresh 500hp 408" Magnum with a track loc'd 3.91 geared rear end, and a 200R4 transmission with a 3000 rpm stall/ Lock-up clutched Precision of New Hampshire torque converter using a bolt on bellhousing with adapter. I have to bolt the front end back together today and do some test driving.

It did require some cross-member massaging on the driver's side with subsequent additional reinforcement and a custom made cross-member, but the floor didn't need any massaging. It left me with a -2 degree nose down pinion angle. Everything is tucked up nice and neat.

A chevy trans in your Mopar?

do some searching on the site. With some floor and cross member work you can put a Dodge O/D trans in it. I've got one sitting here, waiting to possibly put in mine.

GVOD for sure.

3.55 gears and GVOD = 2,000@60mph

4.56 gears and GVOD = 2,500@60mph

(w/28" tire)

And that's why I am kicking around the idea of pulling the trigger on one. I would love to have at least 4:10 gears and be able to cruise down the highways like I had 2:73 gears.

There are a few good write ups on this, it's the option I would choose as well.

The mopar 42rh is the other option there is a sticky thread with great install info...

Mopar OD

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=178459&highlight=200r4

200r4

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=252436&highlight=200r4

My personal reason for using those OD's over the GV unit is the gear spread and OD ratio. Those transmissions have a lower first gear than a traditional 904/727 (2.74 vs 2.45), and a better OD ratio. The 200r4 had the best OD ratio of .67 I believe (.73 in the 42rh, or .78 in the GV)... So I see that as win/win.

I would also think that the transmissions alone would have less power loss than a GV OD unit on the back of a transmission. But I'm no engineer or mathematician...

Joe

I have a 2004R in my Barracuda. With a little bit of tunnel modification, it's a nice fit. And it has less parasitic loss than other transmissions. I do need to do a bit of upgrades on the internals of the 2004R before I'll feel safe in sinking the pedal to the metal.

Yup, less massaging to install, stronger when properly built with upgraded components etc, better ratios from 1st to overdrive, less power to spin, no computer to operate it and one wire triple carbon fiber disc clutch lock-up in a 3000 stall converter that only locks up in OD and automatically disengages when it downshifts. All with a simple flip of a switch.

I opted for the 750 hp stage 2 version, but you can get them designed to hold 1000hp with a stage 3 build from Extreme Automatics. This transmission will bolt up to just about anything Mopar, small blocks, big blocks, old Hemi's, and new Hemi's.

Really fast racers have been using 2-piece Powerglides in Mopars for years with great success. I simply used the SFI rated bellhousing from one of those along with an adapter that bolts to the front pump of the 200R4.

Besides, I drew a Mopar Pentstar on it with a sharpie. Unless I tell someone what it is, it's almost impossible to tell by looking at the car.

Attachments

• 200R4 1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 561
  • 200R4 2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 522
  • 200R4 3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 508
  • 200R4 4.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 461
  • 200R4 5.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 602
I've had my 200R4 in my Dart for four years. I love it. No big hassles on install, good low end power, and a .67 overdrive. I count this as the best money I have spent on this car. And, I spent a ton of money on this car. I can drive 80 mph at 2800 rpm now. And i have had it up to 145 mph with more to give before the steering and suspension scared the crap out of me and I had to slow down. I had to choose between GV and 200R4 and I am happy with my choice. Here is the thread to my install.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=174333

Is there some adapter plate between the bell housing and the engine or does it bolt right up?

Is there some adapter plate between the bell housing and the engine or does it bolt right up?

Yes there is an adapter that mates the Reid SFI rated bellhousing to the modified transmission case using the front pump bolts (the stock cast bellhousing is cut off). This eliminates the need to use adapter plates and spacers and makes for a cleaner install.

It does require a custom torque converter. I got mine from Precision of New Hampton. They have the measurements I used to end up with the correct spacing. I'm also using a 360 Magnum flex plate with an integral tone ring for my OBDII EFI.

It is a CNC'd piece from Lonney at Extreme Automatics. He also builds and has some serious performance parts and complete builds for a 200R4's and others.

200r4 adapters are also avail from TCI, and Wilcap. With the adapter plates you don't need a custom torque converter. JW bell makes a adapter bell/flex plate too.

I believe I'm going to do the 200R4 in my Barracuda.

That's what I put in my '69 Barracuda and I love it. It's much better off the line, cruises (now) without that pesky drone sound and the gas mileage is great!! My car is much more fun and more enjoyable to drive. I'd do it again in a New York Minute!!
Somebody already posted a link to the "write up" I did when I was making all the modifications and for the installation. Also good tips on the 2004R mods/upgrades!!
treblig

200r4 adapters are also avail from TCI, and Wilcap. With the adapter plates you don't need a custom torque converter. JW bell makes a adapter bell/flex plate too.

True, however the TCI and Wilcap adapters use the 3 bolt GM torque converter for a given GM transmission, a crankshaft spacer and a very large plate that sandwiches between the block and the transmission. The plates stick out beyond the engine and transmission further limiting space for needed components. Both plates can be successfully modified to fit, and several members have done great jobs getting them to work. Both plates require a lot of trimming and fitment to clear exhaust and other components, especially the TCI plate, in an already tight fitting area around the block/transmission and the firewall of the car. My '68 Barracuda has limited room there already.

Also, the plate style adapters would not allow me to run the factory OBDII EFI, as the tone ring for the injection system is an integral part of the factory Mopar Magnum flexplate, and the crank position sensor bolts the back of the block to access the tone ring holes.

Plus, I was going to buy a custom HD torque converter anyway. I like the idea of a high efficiency, 3000 rpm stall converter with 3 carbon fiber lock-up clutches activated with a single 12v wire. If you are going to do a lot of drag racing, skip the lock-up feature, as it takes more power to spin it. Modern torque converters are very efficient.

The JW Bell does not have an application for a 200R4, but they do make one to fit Turbo 350's and 400's to a Mopar. It may or may not fit the newer GM overdrive transmissions.

And that's why I am kicking around the idea of pulling the trigger on one. I would love to have at least 4:10 gears and be able to cruise down the highways like I had 2:73 gears.

I love the on peoples face when I tell them I have 4:56 gears.... And I say yeah, they are a great highway gear.

I would also think that the transmissions alone would have less power loss than a GV OD unit on the back of a transmission. But I'm no engineer or mathematician...

Joe

"(less than 1hp loss per 400hp)"

While I still have some no related bugs to work out on the car, I did drive the car around the neighborhood yesterday evening. The powertrain upgrades have transformed the car into a beast. It runs smooth and purrs like a kitten until you push more than a 1/4 " on the gas pedal. Once you do that, it turns into a tire smoking monster.

The transmission shifts smoothly, the rpm stall range on the converter is perfect for this combination and I'm going to have to be careful where this thing is pointed when I hit the gas pedal from now on.

It was a significant job, but nothing too bad. I'm running 3.91 rear end gears, but have not yet logged any freeway time. Once everything is broken in, I'll post some updates.

MrJLR,
There are many ways to go. I chose the 200R4 because I didn't want to do tunnel mods, and there is no Mopar automatic overdrive that will go in without major mods. Check out my thread. I had issues on the install, but they all seem minor now ... as opposed to at the time they seemed big problems. I bought mine with a TCI adapter plate, or I should say a piece of aluminum the size of Rhode Island to mount the transmission onto my motor. The Wilcap adapter, though much smaller and ready to use, is much more expensive. I cut down the TCI and it works just fine. As I posted earlier, I am on my 4th year with this motor / transmission, and I count the transmission to be the best money I have invested in this car. I will highly recommend the 200R4 to anyone. Would I use Art Carr again? Possibly. I like the fact that I can call his company, get put on hold for a minute, and then talk to the man himself. He is always helpful and asks intelligent questions to help you solve your problems and get the right stuff for your car.

On my GM I was running a 383 stroker with a 700R4 overdrive.....it was awsome.
No problems with 432 horse-power and got 18 MPG...

How much did that 700 R4 trans and conversion cost you with conversion parts?

MrJLR, The unibody torsion bar crossmember that runs across the bottom of the car between the unibody frame rails does not have much clearance around the stock trans in an A-body.

Most overdrive 4 speed transmission are too big around that narrow crossmember area, including the bolt in A518 and A500 mopar small block transmissions.

-
Back