Anyone use a diablo tuner?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a little more MPG and better throttle response out of my 2017 ram 2500 5.7

Anyone ever use the diable i3 tuner?

I'm not looking for diesel or stock turbo engine responses but thought the diablo might ne worth it

It Aldo seems to be able to change fak controls, at 50 with the plow on she heats up a little, I wonder if the diablo would allow me to turn the fans on sooner ?

Yes you can change the fan settings with it. I've used a older predator and i3 (mostly for logging and CMR tunes).

I have one for my ‘12 5.7 1500. The tunes made a big difference in fuel mileage. I usually run the 93 tune and can get about 18mpg while doing 80 on the interstate. I used to get about 14 before the tune.
My truck has the 6 speed and is a 4x4 on 35s so that doesn’t help its fuel mileage.
As for throttle response, just keeping it out of the MDS mode will help tremendously. If I set my truck to the manual shifted 6th gear, it will shift normally and stay running in all 8. I do this everywhere I go.

Last edited:
I have one for my ‘12 5.7 1500. The tunes made a big difference in fuel mileage. I usually run the 93 tune and can get about 18mpg while doing 80 on the interstate. I used to get about 14 before the tune.
My truck has the 6 speed and is a 4x4 on 35s so that doesn’t help its fuel mileage.
As for throttle response, just keeping it out of the MDS mode will help tremendously. If I set my truck to the manual shifted 6th gear, it will shift normally and stay running in all 8. I do this everywhere I go.
I'm al almost certain the 2500 doesn't have the MDS mode

No fan in the world will cool the engine if you drive with the plow up. Just a few inches off the ground and tilt it to one side helps with air flow. Not perfect but it works. I plowed with dodges my whole life commercialy.

Also- when you put on the defroster- it turns on the ac electric fan. That also helps.
Tuners are great for helping with mileage, tire diameter changes and some even help with transmission shifting. Diablo is one of the better units I’ve used.

No fan in the world will cool the engine if you drive with the plow up. Just a few inches off the ground and tilt it to one side helps with air flow. Not perfect but it works. I plowed with dodges my whole life commercialy.

Also- when you put on the defroster- it turns on the ac electric fan. That also helps.
Tuners are great for helping with mileage, tire diameter changes and some even help with transmission shifting. Diablo is one of the better units I’ve used.

I figured the issue with driving with the plow on is just a lack of airflow issue
As soon as I slow down it drops back down to 204

When I'm driving it will go up at high ad 225

I have not yet found the sweet spot for this plow for driving
(This is my first season with it on the ram, before it was on a 05 f350)

I did not know about the rear defogger, ill see if that helps, thanks

I did not know about the rear defogger, ill see if that helps, thanks
Front defroster. In order to help dry the air going onto the windshield, the factory programmed the engine controller to turn on the ac system.
This turns on the electric fan at the radiator that helps cool the radiator.
Trust me, dependent on the plow and speed, finding that sweet spot is tough. A balancing act for sure. But I found dropping the speeds when you can and heater on full blast also helps. I’ve even had days where racing to the next parking lot (customer is crying) I’ve had to open the windows (while snowing) and raise the heat to drop engine temps. Also watch your transmission temps. Don’t let it go over 180. Plowing and pushing snow raises that very quickly. Driving with the blade on just as quick. Good luck!
Syleng1

Front defroster. In order to help dry the air going onto the windshield, the factory programmed the engine controller to turn on the ac system.
Trust me, dependent on the plow and speed, finding that sweet spot is tough. A balancing act for sure. But I found dropping the speeds when you can and heater on full blast also helps. I’ve even had days where racing to the next parking lot (customer is crying) I’ve had to open the windows (while snowing) and raise the heat to drop engine temps. Also watch your transmission temps. Don’t let it go over 180. Plowing and pushing snow raises that very quickly. Driving with the blade on just as quick. Good luck!
Syleng1
Thanks, I appreciate the input

There is nothing professional about my outfit

About 6 years ago we bought a new house which had a larger driveway then the previous one, and it is too big for me to want to do it with a snow thrower

So I weighed all the options and decided that buying an old truck and putting a plow on it made the most sense
At the point I ended up with an 84 Bronco, but I never could get it to run right

A little while later a buddy of mine sold me his 05 f350 for about what I would have paid just for the plow that was on it

This was the same guy who was plowing our church' parking lot, and he lived about half an hour from the church, and I'm 6 minutes away so I decided to take that over

Somewhere during that time the plow guy who does my brother in laws church couldn't make it so they asked me to fill in, and when he didn't show the next season the hired me as thier official plow guy

Those two churches are my only "official" accounts

There are probably half a dozen people that call on me when things get too big for them to handle, and I tend to just help people when they need it

Last year I decided to upgrade the f350, because it was rusting out from underneath me, so over spring break I bought the 2500 and swapped the plow over

Like I said, this was my first season with it

I have not seen any spike in trans temps, but ill keep an eye on it and report back

I glance at the title of this when it comes up and for a fleeting instant I think it says "Anyone use a dildo tuner". Thank you, that is all.

I glance at the title of this when it comes up and for a fleeting instant I think it says "Anyone use a dildo tuner". Thank you, that is all.
Kinda makes sense you could program your own tunes for those...I know I got a few go-to moves

Well, I called Moe's performance to place an order, and it turns out diablo doesn't support the 2017 2500 with the 5.7

Syleng1
OK, The climate controller doesn't show DEFROST and DEFOG but it does do both. Cycling the a/c compressor on and off in "defrost" mode has been done in about every vehicle with factory a/c for many years. Long before todays computer controllers. The purpose is to defog, dry the air in the cabin and the inside of the glass. Smart engineering really. Quite handy when a lot of water is tracked inside. That water goes out the condensate drain rather than collect on the inside of glass.
Ever noticed that recirculate will not stay on in defrost mode. Recirculating the air inside can't get the water out efficiently.

Well, I called Moe's performance to place an order, and it turns out diablo doesn't support the 2017 2500 with the 5.7
I think I remember reading somewhere that if your truck is 2017 or newer you have to get the ECU unlocked to do anything with them

I think I remember reading somewhere that if your truck is 2017 or newer you have to get the ECU unlocked to do anything with them
I think it may even have been 2015 or newer

The company I was dealing with (or trying to) offers and PCM swap kit, so it would come with a tuner and an unlocked PCM

You'd then have 14 days to send the stocker back
I was planning on buying an extra PCM off ebay and sending that back so I could keep the stocker as a backup, but the whole thing became a moot point since the diablo tuner is incompatible with the 2500 5.7

I called holly and they suggested a pulsar unit, so im going to give that a shot

-
Back