Anyone use the Billet timing cover from ARE engineering solid Roller ?

-
It is an excellent cover that requires no machining to bolt up to your block. You just have to be smart enough to chose and set up the proper spacer to set the cam thrust.

Sounds like a dress up part, because you definitely don't need it to run a solid roller.

Of course you don't have to run this cover for a roller cam. You can use a dozen other covers and wrestle the cam thrust on all those too. This one is my favorite and is the easiest for me to set a firm cam thrust spacing.

First time building a solid roller cam - Is this timing cover a good upgrade ,Is it worth it?
and if you used it how much machining to get it to work ?
Mancini Racing Billet Timing Cover

Shouldn't require any machining to get it to work. There is a matching roller button that is also available. The cover comes with an adjustable TDC pointer which helps solve a common issue and the center plate can be used to adjust the cam installed centerline if you use a hex-a-just type chain. The billet cover has an extra thick gasket mating surface which reduces or eliminates leaks and it fits under a stock type water pump housing. There is also a setup plate included with the cover that provides the engine builder with a simple way to measure camshaft end play.

Shouldn't require any machining to get it to work. There is a matching roller button that is also available. The cover comes with an adjustable TDC pointer which helps solve a common issue and the center plate can be used to adjust the cam installed centerline if you use a hex-a-just type chain. The billet cover has an extra thick gasket mating surface which reduces or eliminates leaks and it fits under a stock type water pump housing. There is also a setup plate included with the cover that provides the engine builder with a simple way to measure camshaft end play.
Hi Andy thanks for chiming in does Mancini also sell the cam button, i ordered a nylon button but if there is one that works better with this cover i will order that

AR281 is the matching button. The nylon might also work just fine but you'll have to machine it down to the correct size. The AR281 should drop in and give you the correct thrust as long as you have the correct timing chain gasket. There are 3 or 4 different thicknesses of timing chain gasket available so you might want to consider trying different gaskets rather than machining the button.

Cam button, big block and Hemi | AR Engineering

Have one on my megablock B-1, works great. Machinist actually thanked me for buying a nice cover vs trying to set thrust off some stock POS stamping. Used a Comp cam button. S/F....Ken M

AR281 is the matching button. The nylon might also work just fine but you'll have to machine it down to the correct size. The AR281 should drop in and give you the correct thrust as long as you have the correct timing chain gasket. There are 3 or 4 different thicknesses of timing chain gasket available so you might want to consider trying different gaskets rather than machining the button.

Andy i`d rather buy the 3-4 gaskets it would definately be cheaper than the machining ,any particular sizes and maybe a link ,Thanks again

Andy i`d rather buy the 3-4 gaskets it would definately be cheaper than the machining ,any particular sizes and maybe a link ,Thanks again
The whole thing sounds great, a fantastic time saver! A little expensive to home brew methods. I welded a big stainless washer to the inside of my stock timing cover, and then went thru the "pain in the ***" method of getting the end play set right, it works fine, but if u got the $ go w/ what is suggested here, being able to adjust the end play w/o tearing it all down would be great!---jmo

AndyF--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I posted about how I liked your clear valve covers that u use for testing. I used 3/8" and 1/2" lexan for my clear valley cover. (I messed the first 1/2" one up w/ carb cleaner) remade it w/ 3/8" and am careful to not spill any thing on it, or be wiping around on it, w/o it being dustless. So far, no discoloration. What brand valve covers did u machine out to build yours , and what clear material did you use to make them? The clear is great for watching the excess oil escaping from around the lifters!" LOL, and watching the condition of the oil . bob

Last edited:
AndyF--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I posted about how I liked your clear valve covers that u use for testing. I used 3/8" and 1/2" lexan for my clear valley cover. (I messed the first 1/2" one up w/ carb cleaner) remade it w/ 3/8" and am careful to not spill any thing on it, or be wiping around on it, w/o it being dustless. So far, no discoloration. What brand valve covers did u machine out to build yours , and what clear material did you use to make them? The clear is great for watching the excess oil escaping from around the lifters!" LOL, and watching the condition of the oil . bob

You might be able to take a cast valve cover and cut the top off and then weld on a plate with some holes in it for the clear top. That seemed like a lot of work to me so I just made the valve cover from billet and drilled and tapped it for a bolt pattern then cut out a top from 3/16 thick clear polycarb. My first attempt used a gasket but it always leaked so then I just used RTV to seal the clear top on and I haven't had any leaks since.

There's a company on racing junk [under mopar engine parts] selling billet timing covers for $300.00 ask for Josh. I've seen their part and it looks awesome. You might want to check it out and save $50.00. Tell Josh, Tom sent you.

You might be able to take a cast valve cover and cut the top off and then weld on a plate with some holes in it for the clear top. That seemed like a lot of work to me so I just made the valve cover from billet and drilled and tapped it for a bolt pattern then cut out a top from 3/16 thick clear polycarb. My first attempt used a gasket but it always leaked so then I just used RTV to seal the clear top on and I haven't had any leaks since.

thanks . may try to do that when I get er all lined out. cold weather has me bummed out right now.

There's a company on racing junk [under mopar engine parts] selling billet timing covers for $300.00 ask for Josh. I've seen their part and it looks awesome. You might want to check it out and save $50.00. Tell Josh, Tom sent you.

Can you post a link?

Hi Andy i just ordered the Cam Button AR281 from Mancini can you tell me where i can order the different sized timing chain gaskets ?

-
Back