Anyone used 3-D Printing to reproduce parts?

-

JeffreyLee

1965 Barracuda
Reaction score
Even though I'm turning 60 this month, I like to keep up with technology (It's also my business). I was looking at a thread somewhere about the plastic cups that cradle the rear seat bar latch in a 65 Barracuda.....Mine are broken to pieces and brittle. No real chance to find new or repro parts. I was thinking that if someone had a good example, then we could have the part scanned and I could get the part reproduced using a 3D printer! I would love to try it out if I could find a good part that could be scanned and the digital file sent to me to try and reproduce. This technology could be a lifesaver for lots of hard to find smaller parts! What do you think?
Jeff

I've printed some 3D files in my AutoCAD and Inventor 3D classes...

Typically, 3d printed parts lack structural integrity and cosmetic finish unless you print a billion of them resolving the issues, or spend mega coin on a badass printer.

Not sure the part you're talking about, but these are the two major caveats.

Typically, 3d printed parts lack structural integrity and cosmetic finish unless you print a billion of them resolving the issues, or spend mega coin on a badass printer.

Not sure the part you're talking about, but these are the two major caveats.
Shapeways Strong & Flexible Plastic 3D Printing Material Information - Shapeways will print in almost any material you want, including metals if necessary. For those cups, nylon would work well. It is pretty strong. I don't know what type of surface finish you require, but they will be a little rough. "Steps" in that material are about .005". Nothing some fine sanding probably won't fix. Or they can tumble polish the part for you. Now all you need is to find someone with a scanner and someone to transfer those scans into a CAD program so that the models can be printed. Good luck (especially finding a 3D scanner).

Last edited:
A gentleman in my area reproduced the 67 barracuda reverse light housing for his car. He was not worried about it being chrome so it worked out well for him best I can tell.

My local library has a 3D printer that we can use for free! My brother broke a plastic part for his lawnmower. Found a digital file on line somehow and took it to the library. Had his part the same day.

If one had a decent original to start with, I could draw the thing up in Solidworks in no time at all. Reverse engineering in 3D cad is what i do every day

I've got a cheap 3D printer (MP Select Mini 3D Printer V2, Black - Monoprice.com). It's the only one I've ever messed around with, but from what I've read, it works as well as some others that cost 2x or 3x as much. It's the kind that works by squirting the melted plastic filament into layers, like squeezing cake frosting out of a decorating bag. There's another kind that uses a special liquid resin in a tank. It projects an image into the tank with light which solidifies the resin, and it builds up layers like that.

Anyway, I've used it to make replacement plastic pieces for broken things around the house. One thing to keep in mind is the orientation of the part as it's printed out. It's much less strong between layers than it is within a layer, so if the piece needs to be strong in a particular direction, you need to plan ahead. That also means that the replacement pieces I've printed out almost never look exactly the same as the part it's replacing. I'll dig out the calipers and measure the important dimensions on the old piece that can't change, and then use a 3D modeling program to design a new part, taking into consideration the how the 3D printer plastic behaves differently than whatever the old part was made of. Probably by adding supports, or making some parts thicker. And then I usually have to go through a few iterations before the new part works well. A 3D scanner might give you a jump start on that redesign, but it'll still need some tweaking.

Because of the way it builds up layers, you can see them in the finished part. Do an image search for "3D printer layers" to see what I mean. You can sand, use body filler, paint, chemical treatment, etc. to make it look better. They're not (yet) like magic replicators on Star Trek, just another tool to learn how to use and when (not) to use it.

You don't need to worry about the orientation of the layers much if you get it printed in nylon at Shapeways. It's a totally different process than the cheap filament printers you guys have, or can use for free. Most of the materials used in the "hobby" filament printers are not waterproof or UV stable.

This is what Jeffreylee is talking about. This things were thin plastic back in the day and now 50 years old. Anything is almost better than what I have. I'm interested...

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

I’m working on a couple parts from Shapeways. I sent a designer the original part to measure and he reproduced it. I have the .STL file to make more if needed or wanted. The parts should be here next week and I’ll upload what I get. I did very high detailed plastic for a part that cast and chromed.

Cheers!

Last edited:
-
Back