Anyone used a Marine engine?

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I don't have one, but just wondering if anyone has ever used a marine engine in their car/truck?

Years ago there was a guy selling numerous marine 340's for cheap, but I missed out on them.

Let's see some pics if you have them.

I know one problem to look for. Some marine engines were built to run in the opposite direction. I found that our one day when I was helping a buddy put a starter on a 351 Ford powered Ski Nauteak. Went to parts store and bought a ford starter ,but the damn thing wouldn't start. That is when we found out that the car starter was cranking the engine the wrong direction.

i used to have a 40 ft chris craft with twin 318's. one motor spins backwards to keep the boat moving in a strait direction. from what i have read the marine engines were built @ the industrial engine plant. steel cranks etc.etc.

Swap the cam and oil pump drive and i think it will run just fine.

i never have, but i did run across this cool 340 marine intake on ebag a while back

Attachments

• marine.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 263
The Marine motors with reverse rotation cranks may need different main and damper seals too as the vanes in the rubber seals could force oil out. Could you run the same cam but just off a 2 gear drive so its reverse rotation as seen by the backwards rotating crank? The Carter marine carbs also have a seal on the accelerator pump as well as a few other tricks. Hey, they were good enough to put in that Pawn Stars 56 Chevy drag car! "Its got a boat motor in it..."

What do you mean "almost"? Next time you see something like that, give me a ring...We'll go halves! 2 426's in a boat..wow!

Pulled an engine out of a New Yorker a few years ago and it was of the Marine variety. When we sonic tested it we found that it was a little thicker than a standard street block. It's in a friends NSS car.

I have a '67 Chrysler Marine Engine brochure, it lists a ton of V8 options, heres the top three horsepower wise:

"Chrysler 290" 290 HP 426 Cu.In. Wedge 1-4bbl 8.2 to 1 compression

"Chrysler 335" 335 HP 440 Cu.In. Wedge 2-4bbl 10 to 1 compression

"Chrysler 525" 525 HP 426 Cu.In. Hemi 2-4bbl 12.5 to 1 compression

I bought a 318/727 from a guy years ago, and he had a racing boat from the late 60's in his garage also for sale. It had a 440 with dual 4 bbl's on it, he claimed it made around 800 HP. I can't imagine that much power on the water. He said they hadn't raced it since the early 80's because it was too scary.

I'm not sure about 340's but Ma even made a few 440 sixpack engines in boats!!

In the late 60's i was given several marine engines by sheplers boat co that took passengers to mackinaw island mi. I paid $10 to load them and $10 to have them hauled home. Two 426 wedges, two 413, two 383's, two 361 and two 318's. They all had been rebuilt several times. I sold the 426's for $150 and later the rest for $150 because my dad didn't want the junk around the farm. I also got a lot of carter carbs and starters. I kept them but my brother in law bought the place and threw them all out. The only thing i have is a bare block that has been on my disc for weight. If i had only known, i sold my 69 formula s 340 in not too bad shape for $500. And a 58 impala convertible for $500. I sure wish i would have kept everything but money was tight back then.

A marine engine is: a car engine. If 2 engines were used, one has a cam that runs reverse. It took water from where it was, salt water, brackish, clean. If it was always flushed, after use, no problem. The normal cam in them is a mid circle track. Idle, or full throttle. No mid power band.

-
Back