Anyone using aftermarket wheel tubs for minitubbing?

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I am having an experienced guy do the minitubs on my 72 Dart. The factory tubs started to rust through where the trunk hinges mount. He recommends using aftermarket wheel tubs for this setup? Anyone have pics of their A-Body with aftermarket tubs? I am trying to figure out if I like the looks of an aftermarket tub when I open the trunk. Any recommendations? Thanks guys.

You would be using a very small part of the after market tub, and they are round. I know mine were fricken HUGE, and the mini tub I did, was pretty small by comparison, and not perfectly round.

Maybe cut some out of a junk car? The factory sheet metal is better anyway. Just a thought.

tubs...these are steel...in 71 Dart

Picture 4465a.jpg

HemiEd, why is the factory sheetmetal better?

Steel, pic is from the inside obviously.......if I did it again I would have widened the factory tub. (Less work)

6-1-09 demon 007.jpg

Right now I trying to convince him to just widen the factory tubs, maybe I will talk to him about getting OEM tubs and welding them in to old ones, widening them that way????

I'm going to cut the factory out, add in however wide strip in the middle then put them back in, going to retain the back seat as well

i put in 3 inch strip first side took 3 days to much thinging i guess second side 6 hours

Right now I trying to convince him to just widen the factory tubs, maybe I will talk to him about getting OEM tubs and welding them in to old ones, widening them that way????
You didn't state how wide or tire dia., but a skilled bodyman-friend uses a single wheel trailer fender(makes two tubs), adequate gage, not too big on dia., nice rounded lip. JMO, Good Luck, ateam.:glasses9:

We just did ours, about $30 in 16ga metal from Lowe's. If you go to the frame rails you get about 2" a side.

-
Back