Anyone using Dougs D453 headers on Magnum heads?

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Just checking, Thought I'd heard something about port mismatch and some manifolds / headers when using Magnum heads.

Already have new Doug's headers, but was thinking of going with a magnum head swap.

Just checking, Thought I'd heard something about port mismatch and some manifolds / headers when using Magnum heads.

Already have new Doug's headers, but was thinking of going with a magnum head swap.
I have them on edlebrocks and I can change my plugs in 10 minutes!!! use them if you can. the oil filter is a breeze as well. Many header brands capture plugs and filter making it a nightmere to service them

You guys using the right angle oil filter adapter, or setup to screw the filter right to the block?
The headers and instructions are buried in the trunk of my dart right now. Can't remember what it said about the filter

You guys using the right angle oil filter adapter, or setup to screw the filter right to the block?
The headers and instructions are buried in the trunk of my dart right now. Can't remember what it said about the filter
I went to the short filter and sold my 90 degree adapter. much easier and I change my oil often. I did buy the 8 hole billet filter plate to allow more oil thru the filter. Seemed like a smart move

I don't use the right angle adapter, but I did take a drill bit and add a few holes to my plate for more oil flow.

Sorry MileHighDart,
I'm interested in knowing what these guys are running the D453 on such as model, year, transmission, column shift, floor shift, etc.

Sorry MileHighDart,
I'm interested in knowing what these guys are running the D453 on such as model, year, transmission, column shift, floor shift, etc.
1970 dart 4 door custom converted from column shift to floor and an 833 tranny. 408 engine, manual flaming river steering box.

Did you have to do the Z bar mod?

Any others?

They fit 73+ cars as well and the same fitment as the catalog states up to 72 cars. Petronix website

DO NOT go by info on Summit... IT'S WRONG!!!

I've had to alter the Z bar when using Dougs and tti headers.

Did you have to do the Z bar mod?

Any others?
Yes. ordered the TTI zbar then moved the clutch tit to the other side. i'm not a welder or I would have altered the stock one. Brewer performance has the internals for a new or rebuild on the zbar

I read numerous yrs ago that the ports were different but that's a bunch of baloney. I don't know who started that but they sure didn't know what they were talking about.

Sorry to dig this up, but wondering about anyone using these headers with EQ Magnum and/or MP R/T heads, not just the standard ones.

An OEM head has more material around the bottom of the port and allows for the big port LA headers/manifolds to seal. The EQ and MP R/T head doesn't have the same casting and the heads stop just below the port leaving little to no material to seal the large port LA headers/manifolds.

I read numerous yrs ago that the ports were different but that's a bunch of baloney. I don't know who started that but they sure didn't know what they were talking about.

The exhaust port are different. They match closely to the LA 318 ports, but are significantly shorter than the LA 360/340 exhaust port. And with the R/T and EQ heads, they don't seal. Picture here - 5.9magnum questions

More discussion - Are the TTI shorties really my only option?

Here's some pictures of a Magnum head with headers and the leaks it had - 10 Day Magnum Swap - '65 Dart 270

Had headmans shorties before switching to Doug's on EQ MAG HEADS no leaks on either but before installing headers I needed to trim gasket due to overhang from centre ports.

Sorry to dig this up, but wondering about anyone using these headers with EQ Magnum and/or MP R/T heads, not just the standard ones.

An OEM head has more material around the bottom of the port and allows for the big port LA headers/manifolds to seal. The EQ and MP R/T head doesn't have the same casting and the heads stop just below the port leaving little to no material to seal the large port LA headers/manifolds.

The exhaust port are different. They match closely to the LA 318 ports, but are significantly shorter than the LA 360/340 exhaust port. And with the R/T and EQ heads, they don't seal. Picture here - 5.9magnum questions

More discussion - Are the TTI shorties really my only option?

Here's some pictures of a Magnum head with headers and the leaks it had - 10 Day Magnum Swap - '65 Dart 270

I have eq heads on my 408 and even though I never started it with Doug's I have no reason to believe they wouldn't seal fine because I matched the ports up. They weren't a perfect match but nowhere close to being far enough off to be a problem. As for how much material is below the port. My eq's have every bit as much material below the port as stock la's have to seal, more in fact. Have you personally tried/compared them or are you just posting links someone else wrote? When I said the ports weren't different I meant the outlet wasn't in a different place. I can't speak about R/T heads but I know for fact that Hooker, Doug's and TTI headers will all seal fine on my EQ's and I had a set of stock 5.9 magnum heads I compared the outlets too and they were very close to my EQ's

BTW: the last link you show is for the early A's which use different headers than 67 and up. They may be a problem because headers for them are different. Mine is a 67 and up style

Also in the pic in the link you provided the person is comparing them to stock flange gaskets, not header gaskets which are rarely the same. With headers I always use a good header gasket, not stock flange gaskets like that person used

Have you personally tried/compared them or are you just posting links someone else wrote?

I took the picture of the gasket on the cylinder head. I am currently running those exact MP R/T heads with freeflows on my Duster and I had to cut "adapters" to get them to seal. So yes, I have personally tried and compared the stock gasket to an R/T head.

When I said the ports weren't different I meant the outlet wasn't in a different place.

That I can agree with. Everything bolts up and lines up, for sure.

The difference I am concerned about is the size/shape of the port and the fact that they are not the same. And the material below the port on my head was lacking enough for me to not just bolt on the HP manifolds without doing something extra.

BTW: the last link you show is for the early A's which use different headers than 67 and up. They may be a problem because headers for them are different. Mine is a 67 and up style

The text of the post says it is a 318 he just pulled out of his '67 convertible.

Also in the pic in the link you provided the person is comparing them to stock flange gaskets, not header gaskets which are rarely the same. With headers I always use a good header gasket, not stock flange gaskets like that person used

Just to be clear, "that person" is me and I wasn't working on putting headers on the car at the time. And I've never heard that a header gasket had a different port opening than a stock one did.

The one thing I don't remember doing is laying that gasket on the manifold. I know for certain that there would be little or no overlap between the gasket and the cylinder head equaling an exhaust leak, but I can't say that the port on the freeflows wouldn't be smaller. If the bottom of the port on the freeflow was higher, then the right gasket might have had a chance of sealing.

The OP posted pictures of the gaskets on the heads and on the headers in his Magnum swap thread.

I have no doubt that the D453 headers works with Magnum heads.

Did you have to modify anything for the column shifter?
They list is as a no go with column. Can you share a pic of how close it is?
Also, is it true that you must use a mini starter?
Thanks
I didn't have to do any modifications, but it's tight in there...and I did use a mini starter

-
Back