Anyone's teen child vote today?

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Mine did, and I have to say I am personally frustrated with her.
Tell me if I am taking this too personally or not.

To sum it up, she is really caught up in working full time, and taking internet classes after work till early Am hours, and does not have much time to inform herself, nor is she really concerned with the issues yet.

She is registered to vote and knew today was coming.I was looking forward to this because she is always talking about how she want's to be treated as an adult, and I'm thinking, okay, my little girl is finally grown up and ready to show the world she has a voice and can make an adult decision.

I listen to alot of talk radio, and while running her and her sisters around to and from places in the evening, I have the radio on, and the kids and I discuss certain candidates and their positions daily.

My younger daughters think along the same lines as I do, and I find it flattering that they think the same as I do, and have strong moral convictions.

Well my Wife, Daughter and I went to vote today during my daughter's lunch break, but at the last minute, my daughter gave us a hard time and said she did not know anything about any of the candidates and did not want to waste her vote.

What!

I asked her if she had been paying attention to all the discussion we have had in the car and at the dinner table lately, and she basically did not say a word.

Within milliseconds I'm thinking:
I am not suprised at her position because she is so inundated with school and work, but I also wish, as her father, that she would have at least asked me one more time for my opinion or guidance, but she did not.

I did not want to look like an overbearing prick and say "You need to just vote for such and such because I am."

So I just said " I don't know what to tell you hun, we have been talking about it for months, and apparently you are not ready."

She just looked at me and did not say anything.

As her Dad, I feel a little jaded because she did not ask me my opinion which leads me to think she does not respect it, but, on the other hand, I feel that she is naive and just plain uninformed and not ready.

You think grown women are hard to figure out, try having a wife and five teenage daughters to live with...Ahhhhh!!!

Thank God and his dominion I have a man house in the back yard.

I will say though that my three oldest have had a rough childhood before we adopted them 8 years ago, and the oldest especially has a hard time communicating her thoughts and feelings.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent a little.

Oh dear - all those women in the house! Praise the lord for big sheds and powertools! :toothy10:

I can't say that I know exactly where you are coming from, but we have a 17 year old son who is kind of the same - says what he thinks you want to hear, and then does something completely different...!:angry7:

I guess it's all part of growing up and figuring out who they really are or who they want to be, and apart from a little bit of guidance from us, the majority of figuring that out is up to them.

It seems like all we get to do is cross our fingers and hope they make the right decisions at the right times, and ensuring that we have enough bail money handy for when they don't!

Oh dear - all those women in the house! Praise the lord for big sheds and powertools! :toothy10:

I can't say that I know exactly where you are coming from, but we have a 17 year old son who is kind of the same - says what he thinks you want to hear, and then does something completely different...!:angry7:

I guess it's all part of growing up and figuring out who they really are or who they want to be, and apart from a little bit of guidance from us, the majority of figuring that out is up to them.

It seems like all we get to do is cross our fingers and hope they make the right decisions at the right times, and ensuring that we have enough bail money handy for when they don't!

I agree with you up until the last part.

My kids know if they screw up that bad, they can pay their own way just as I did.
No free ride.

Yes, I think you are taking it too personal. She's working full time and going to school after that? I know a hundred dads that would give their left nut to be so blessed. She'll be ok...
C

Yeah and at one time your parents where probably just as upset at you.... Not trying to be smart !@##$ but just telling the truth... I think she will be fine... Good luck...

I think your being abit hard, but its your kid. Without getting into each others political views, all i can say is, no one should be forced into voting. Maybe shes not ready to vote. How would you feel if our government made you vote, even if none of the canidates look good to you? The last thing you want her doing is voting for someone "just because". You dont want anyone voting who hasnt looked at the cannidate with some reasoning. Also you might not want her voting for Hillary just because shes a women or for McCain, just because hes a war veteran.
I think its smart she didnt vote, with her excuse being that she didnt research the cannidates, you should be proud of her wisdom, not mad. Theres too many people who vote without checking into who they are voting for.

There's alot more to this than voting, and it has nothing to do with me pressuring her to vote.

It's about making adult decisions and transitioning from a little girl into a woman.

And yes, I was quite the rotten hell raiser when I was a kid, but a couple punches in the face every night from Mom's drunk boyfriend had a bit to do with my teenage angst.

I spent many nights literally in the dog house out back with my dog since I was usually locked out of the house so Mom's boyfriend could have her all to himself.

There's alot more to this than voting, and it has nothing to do with me pressuring her to vote.

It's about making adult decisions and transitioning from a little girl into a woman.

And yes, I was quite the rotten hell raiser when I was a kid, but a couple punches in the face every night from Mom's drunk boyfriend had a bit to do with my teenage angst.

I spent many nights literally in the dog house out back with my dog since I was usually locked out of the house so Mom's boyfriend could have her all to himself.

And after all that you turned out pretty good .... I guess????? Best I can tell you ask God to help all your family during this trying time..... Good luck...

-
Back