Appropriate Wheel Offset for 18" Wheels?

-
Those Valiants must have more room than the 70+ Darts. At least my '71 for sure, when I tried a set of 275's they touched the spring and the quarter lip at the same time. They physically bolted into place, but they couldn't be run. I could gain a little room on the outside because the quarter lip is stock, but there's no way I could make a 275 work on my '71 Dart without a 1/2" offset.

And, nice Valiant Tom! :thumbup:

255s on 8.75 wheels, 6.25 bs and +35 offset is as big as I can go with stock location leafs and no cutting. So how the fawk are you getting 10" wheels to fit?

I just can't see how you pulled that off Tom with those offsets. Even a 45mm offset is gonna be super iffy with a 10 wide in the front. You must have no lips at all and a serious pipe roll going on.

Well we made some relief cuts and used a neumatic tool in the rear to push the fender out. I actually ended up with almost 14 inches from fender lip to leaf spring. I was going to try some 19x11 wheels with 305/30/19 Hankooks next in back. In the front the mods were much more mild, just the neumatic tool with no relief cuts, rolled the lips, and modded the rear of the wheel opening an inch. This picture is early, it actually looks pretty good now...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 360
So what setup is the car running in the Autox pics Tom? Look awful small to 18x10's. And the tires are not Hankooks they are Falkens too.

So what setup is the car running in the Autox pics Tom? Look awful small to 18x10's. And the tires are not Hankooks they are Falkens too.

Those were the 265/35 Falkens on the 18x10s. Now sporting the 285/35 Hankooks. Much improved, still trying to work on the Nut behind the wheel. Taking out to the cart track at Adams tomorrow night to see what we can muster. My friend Jake Rozelle has a Camaro that should do very well at Optima this year, and he ran a 44.0 lap there, so I can judge progress reference him. I've finished second a couple times in our San Diego SCCA CAM class in the last couple months, in a 12-14 car field, beating both Hotchkis sponsored Mustangs so the suspension is certainly capable. I'm just running a stock 320HP Magnum 360 with a 4spd OD so I am down on power (and gear ratios) to a lot of my competition...

Well we made some relief cuts and used a neumatic tool in the rear to push the fender out. I actually ended up with almost 14 inches from fender lip to leaf spring. I was going to try some 19x11 wheels with 305/30/19 Hankooks next in back. In the front the mods were much more mild, just the neumatic tool with no relief cuts, rolled the lips, and modded the rear of the wheel opening an inch. This picture is early, it actually looks pretty good now...

Sneaky, and very clever. I like that its subtle.
Nice work!

Those were the 265/35 Falkens on the 18x10s. Now sporting the 285/35 Hankooks. Much improved, still trying to work on the Nut behind the wheel. Taking out to the cart track at Adams tomorrow night to see what we can muster. My friend Jake Rozelle has a Camaro that should do very well at Optima this year, and he ran a 44.0 lap there, so I can judge progress reference him. I've finished second a couple times in our San Diego SCCA CAM class in the last couple months, in a 12-14 car field, beating both Hotchkis sponsored Mustangs so the suspension is certainly capable. I'm just running a stock 320HP Magnum 360 with a 4spd OD so I am down on power (and gear ratios) to a lot of my competition...

How did you do at Adam's? I have yet to try it. I'm too busy now, but I should have taken the Scion there over the summer.

Dart is temporarily on hold. Trying to find some free time but between classes, work, and homework (some requiring me to work on the school computers as I don't have the available programs) there's very little time. I may get in an hour or two on Friday. Depending on homework maybe Saturday.

How did you do at Adam's? I have yet to try it. I'm too busy now, but I should have taken the Scion there over the summer.

Ran A disappointing 47.9. The Valiant with the A833 OD and a 3.08 rear is not the combo there, as first is still to short to use, but I'm also way down on RPMs in second. The 73-76 stock front Discs were also not ideal. On the upside, with the Hotchkis TVS and the 285 Hankooks all around the car handles fantastic, and changes direction much better than my 2013 Mustang GT (which ran a 45.9). I highly recommend getting out to Adams on Tuesday nights in whatever car you can, great track / track time for the $$

Ran A disappointing 47.9. The Valiant with the A833 OD and a 3.08 rear is not the combo there, as first is still to short to use, but I'm also way down on RPMs in second. The 73-76 stock front Discs were also not ideal. On the upside, with the Hotchkis TVS and the 285 Hankooks all around the car handles fantastic, and changes direction much better than my 2013 Mustang GT (which ran a 45.9). I highly recommend getting out to Adams on Tuesday nights in whatever car you can, great track / track time for the $$

I've got work till 6pm on Tuesdays till December so it won't be for awhile. I know quite a few people from school who have raced there. Most of them drive an import of some kind.

I just moved the wheel over on the passenger's side. It seems things are slightly shifted toward the center line of the car. Without spacers, the tire was rubbing on the leaf springs. With the 0.200" (+5mm) spacers I had about 1" to the outer trim and 0.25" to the leaf spring. I took another look at the wheels, they're 17 x 8's and I think I measured them to be about 5.72" of bs which would put it at +30mm. However, taking a closer look at it I think I'd have some rubbing issues on the inner bulge of the wheel well. I'm going to need a little less offset and maybe I should just step down to 265/35/18's. How much is ample tire to outer trim clearance?

Odds are car isn't going to make it to Fall Fling. I just have way too much school work.

Outer trim?

I have about 1/2" between the outside of my tire and the inside of the quarter lip. Hasn't been a problem so far.

Outer trim? I have about 1/2" between the outside of my tire and the inside of the quarter lip. Hasn't been a problem so far.
Ok, that's a good reference. I figured I'd try to move the tire out as far as possible away from the inner wheel tub to avoid the dimple and rubbing. Since I'm about 0.75" away on the driver's side, I can probably go up to a +18mm offset on a 275 series tire (may still have inner rubbing issues) or to a +13mm offset on a 265 series tire. Both of those should net approximately 0.50" from the outer trim.

So just doing a quick search, based off of my measurements, it seems like I should be able to make the Enkei PF01's to fit with an 18 x 9.5" wheel. They come in both a +15mm offset and a +35mm offset. Any of these tires (Hancook R-S3's) will fit on the wheel:

245/40/18
265/35/18
265/40/18
275/35/18
285/35/18

It all depends on how tight I want everything to fit in the wheel wells.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand...28%2B4294920230

I just need to find some time to get the front end together. I may have some later tonight. Maybe I'll be able to squeeze some time in during the week after work and school.

Dont know why you have your heart set on a 9.5 wide wheel when a 275 fits just fine on a 9 wide. That extra half inch of wheel is gonna make you pull your hair out.

Dont know why you have your heart set on a 9.5 wide wheel when a 275 fits just fine on a 9 wide. That extra half inch of wheel is gonna make you pull your hair out.
It's what's available that fits front and back without getting something that's completely custom.

I also dont see how you think a 15mm offset will have any chance of fitting in the rear without getting SS/AA on your quarter panels. 25mm MAYBE, 15? No f-ing way. I ran a 10 wide with a 43mm offset and had about an inch of outer clearance WITH bulged and rolled lips. That was with a stock A-body rear with drum brakes, your rear is even wider???

I also dont see how you think a 15mm offset will have any chance of fitting in the rear without getting SS/AA on your quarter panels. 25mm MAYBE, 15? No f-ing way. I ran a 10 wide with a 43mm offset and had about an inch of outer clearance WITH bulged and rolled lips. That was with a stock A-body rear with drum brakes, your rear is even wider???
The wheel I used for mock up was 17 x 8" and had a +30mm offset on it (measured and looked it up) with a bulged out 275/40/17 tire. I stacked washers up to about -5mm and had maybe .25"-.5" between the springs and .75"-1" between the outer trim depending on which side of the vehicle you were on. I don't see where my calculations are wrong. Rimsntires even states that the tire should be about .4" closer to the outer quarter panel which should give me adequate clearance. Am I right, or am I missing something here?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 277
I hope you prove me wrong. Figure an 18x9.5 wheel would have an outside to outside width of 10.5 would it not? And an inch is approximately what? 25MM? All im going off of is my Dart and what I have ran. The way it looks to me, you are gonna need to find an inch of room on the outside.

I hope you prove me wrong. Figure an 18x9.5 wheel would have an outside to outside width of 10.5 would it not? And an inch is approximately what? 25MM? All im going off of is my Dart and what I have ran.
So, if I use a 275 series tire which is about 10.8" outside to outside, what difference does the width of a wheel matter since the tire bulges past the lip anyways? Even if I go to a 265 (~10.4" wide) the lip is still narrower than the 275 series tire I mocked up with leaving me with more room.

Im not busting your balls here intentionally lol! Your mock up tire/wheel was a 275 tire yes, but on a 17x8. So your section measurements will not be over 10 wide I would bet. To end this debate here is what I would do: buy a pair of the fronts and mount the tires you want to run, then see what is needed in the rear with those. Prove me wrong!

-
Back