AR-15s

-
thx for tolerating my stupid noobee questions lol

what it the difference between Weaver, Piccatiny, and MLOK?

thoughts on this? say holographic, what does that mean?
GGD Holographic Red/Green Dot Reflex Sight
No such thing as a stupid question, invariably you are asking the same thing ten other guys are wanting to know the answer to. You just had the courage to ask! Well done Sir. And you got a great answer with pictorial references!

Holographic is fine too. I would not buy one of those though, those are el cheapo and can break easily.

I would recommend Eotech or Holosun, Leupold etc.. They are pricey though.

Agreed. I had bought a Sig Sauer Romeo red dot, which is made by Holosun, it just felt too small looking through it. I replaced it with a Trijicon MRO, which then got replaced with an EOTech, but like you said, they are not cheap options, but I dont worry about them failing. I do have a set of Troy Industries flip up sights for backup, just in case.

No such thing as a stupid question, invariably you are asking the same thing ten other guys are wanting to know the answer to. You just had the courage to ask! Well done Sir. And you got a great answer with pictorial references!
thx everyone, I learn quick too (I think)
and I know no one here wants to sell me anything :)

I think I'm going to get the TRS-25 and I found an adjustable riser, although it takes a tool to adjust. I'm in no hurry as I haven't even fired this beauty yet.
Feyachi TRM10 Adjustable Height Picatinny Riser Mount, 3 Slots Optic Riser Mount for Red Dot Sight | Feyachi Reflex Sight LED Tactical ‎Flashlights Lasers Bipods Scopes Wholesale Suppliers

Make sure you have ear protection, these critters are LOUD!
I'm sure you're right. I have the basics, but will probably end up getting something nice.
You know what is really painfully, harshfully loud? My little short-barreled NAA .22 Magnum revolver. There's a piece I've come not to love. Loud, inaccurate, very slow reload. But hey, its the size of a pack of smokes when the grip is folded up. Even smaller. But I digress.

Agreed. I had bought a Sig Sauer Romeo red dot, which is made by Holosun, it just felt too small looking through it. I replaced it with a Trijicon MRO, which then got replaced with an EOTech, but like you said, they are not cheap options, but I dont worry about them failing. I do have a set of Troy Industries flip up sights for backup, just in case.

Ive been shooting sig optics for 4 years now and had new clue they were made by holosun! With that being said, no issues with them in that time and I am pretty hard on my guns.

Ive been shooting sig optics for 4 years now and had new clue they were made by holosun! With that being said, no issues with them in that time and I am pretty hard on my guns.

I don't know if they all are, but I had the Romeo Juliet MSR combo and that one is made by Holosun. No issues with it either while I had it.

Check the details on that rebate. I think it ends at the end of March, maybe you just need your Midway receipt to submit for it.

I just checked them, you are good. Purchase during March, submit rebate by 4/30.

For cleaning kits, I'm a fan of a bore snake in the appropriate caliber, along with some patches, and a set of plastic dental picks.
For cleaning fluid, find one you like, I've used tons of different ones over the years, they are all about equal, currently using CLP, Shooters Lube and Hoppes.

Since a weapon mounted light was mentioned, I will add a thought or two.
Do not get caught up in the brightest light game. Know what you need and what your intentions are. I started the room clearing thing with long guns in 94 when the hot lick was a Surefire incandescent with a whopping 60 lumens.

Now these little leds are 1200-2000. You can have too much light. I like about 500 for inside work and 300 will get it done. Wont wash out your sight or dot on white walls and provides enough ambient so that you can ID a target without muzzling it at a low ready during the challenge and assessment phase.

If you need 100-200 yard light you need to consider throw and spot. Also know that with none magnified optics you cannot ID a target at that range. So in none mil work that means he has to shoot first or point a weapon at someone and you were able to track his movements to where you will shoot back to insure its the correct guy.

Try you light shooting from all positions and on all surfaces. That great high powered light when standing can suck when on dirt in the prone. Each dust particle becomes a mirror and you will lose your target and ability for follow up shots.

Learn how to shoot and your shooting technique then mount the light to accommodate. Consider pro and cons of mounting the light at 3, 6 or 9 o’clock. Because they exist and back in the day option were limited.

For me, 12 o’ clock, in front of my front iron sight became king. The light when mounted here must allow and iron sight picture over it.

Before free floated tubes etc, I mounted short Pic rail through the OEM handguard holes and clocked the two piece handguards where I wanted the light( usually 11 o’clock very close the fixed front sight base). Cut new slots at the indexed point for the gas tube and snapped them back on. Pretty high speed low drag for its time.

Check the details on that rebate. I think it ends at the end of March, maybe you just need your Midway receipt to submit for it.

I just checked them, you are good. Purchase during March, submit rebate by 4/30.

For cleaning kits, I'm a fan of a bore snake in the appropriate caliber, along with some patches, and a set of plastic dental picks.
For cleaning fluid, find one you like, I've used tons of different ones over the years, they are all about equal, currently using CLP, Shooters Lube and Hoppes.

Only thing I have used for years is 70-99% rubbing alcohol unless I have to remove copper fouling.

Just for reference, this is an 800 lumen light. That far corner is probably 25 - 30 feet away.

20201219_195331.jpg

Since a weapon mounted light was mentioned, I will add a thought or two.
Do not get caught up in the brightest light game. Know what you need and what your intentions are. I started the room clearing thing with long guns in 94 when the hot lick was a Surefire incandescent with a whopping 60 lumens.

Now these little leds are 1200-2000. You can have too much light. I like about 500 for inside work and 300 will get it done. Wont wash out your sight or dot on white walls and provides enough ambient so that you can ID a target without muzzling it at a low ready during the challenge and assessment phase.

If you need 100-200 yard light you need to consider throw and spot. Also know that with none magnified optics you cannot ID a target at that range. So in none mil work that means he has to shoot first or point a weapon at someone and you were able to track his movements to where you will shoot back to insure its the correct guy.

Try you light shooting from all positions and on all surfaces. That great high powered light when standing can suck when on dirt in the prone. Each dust particle becomes a mirror and you will lose your target and ability for follow up shots.

Learn how to shoot and your shooting technique then mount the light to accommodate. Consider pro and cons of mounting the light at 3, 6 or 9 o’clock. Because they exist and back in the day option were limited.

For me, 12 o’ clock, in front of my front iron sight became king. The light when mounted here must allow and iron sight picture over it.

I’ll throw my .02 in on lights. Stay away from Olight. That is all.

Just a real quick echo to M240 to much light comment. To much light is a real problem especially if you are not standing up and the environment is less than clean, or Smokey from flash bangs or what have you. Think your hi beams on your truck on a foggy night. The reflection makes it impossible to penetrate so you drop back to low beams and actually see better. Same principle.

Just a real quick echo to M240 to much light comment. To much light is a real problem especially if you are not standing up and the environment is less than clean, or Smokey from flash bangs or what have you. Think your hi beams on your truck on a foggy night. The reflection makes it impossible to penetrate so you drop back to low beams and actually see better. Same principle.

Good comparison. Never thought of that way to describe it.

Not my place to tell folks what to use for home defense but a 308 isn’t a real common home defense round. Judging by the long barrel on his rifle I’d wager to guess he wants to do longer range shooting with it but I could be wrong.
My FAL has a 16" barrel. I had it made that way. As far as home defense goes, you are absolutely correct in stating. 308 isn't real common. And probably not a great idea if you miss and have neighbors close by. But my response was more pointed to having an AR-10 without glass. I dont have a scope on anything. Never been a fan of them, but I'm farsighted and never needed one out to 200 yards or so.

I’ll throw my .02 in on lights. Stay away from Olight. That is all.
Cannot speak about experience on any Olight products except the Valkeryie. I have three. One is new rechargeable Pro version that is on a in the house SBR.

The other two are older models that have been mounted on high mileage rifles for several years without issue. There are not many options for 12 o’clock mounting in an AR Pic rail and still align iron sights over it.

Yes I know Surefire X300 models. They suck for me on rifles. That is my preferred pistol light however with the DG grip tape switch.

Both Valkeryies vibrated for several years in racks of my work truck and were used nightly on open field searches, desert or building searches.

Cannot speak about experience on any Olight products except the Valkeryie. I have three. One is new rechargeable Pro version that is on a in the house SBR.

The other two are older models that have been mounted on high mileage rifles for several years without issue. There are not many options for 12 o’clock mounting in an AR Pic rail and still align iron sights over it.

Yes I know Surefire X300 models. They suck for me on rifles. That is my preferred pistol light however with the DG grip tape switch.

Both Valkeryies vibrated for several years in racks of my work truck and were used nightly on open field searches, desert or building searches.

I never had any issues with them performing but the bs with their batteries got old real quick and I wasn’t a fan of the color of their light.

This thread has gone crazy!!
For craps sake, just buy the goddamn thing!
Get one in 5.56 and you can't hardly go wrong.
Cheap ammo, cheap mags, and most of the cool gadgets are interchangeable between calibers.
Its really an awesome little rifle!

-
Back