AR-15s

-
Not my place to tell folks what to use for home defense but a 308 isn’t a real common home defense round. Judging by the long barrel on his rifle I’d wager to guess he wants to do longer range shooting with it but I could be wrong.

And if you ever shot in a house without ear pro you feel the difference too! Thats not even getting into the terminal ballistics and over penetration possibilities.

Agreed, especially with the GI mags. I have seen guys give them a slap and they seat further than they should followed by a malfunction.

yes. Though any mag can override the catch on an open bolt, the reason not to get into the slap habit is that when doing an empty gun reload with the bolt locked back is that slap can induce the top round to pop out or partially lose control from the feed lip. Then when you release the bolt the stoppage cannot be cleared with immediate action. It now requires remedial action.

One time I had a bear break into my house. It was destroying the kitchen while I watched from behind the couch. I had no exit except past the bear. I had my AR15 in hand and i decided it that ****** comes one step this way he is done. The next thing I thought was..... ****. I wish I had grabbed my ear pro...

He preceded to tear the fridge apart, then the stove/ oven and then he drug the trash out the door and ate it in my drive way while the cops yelled at it over their PA.....

Fuckin Ca.....

Auditory exclusion is real. When I knew things were going to happen i could hear before and after the bang. Or when i made the bang. But when someone else shot or tossed a flash/bang i was unprepared for…holy hell. That back in the day before we had ear pro with comms in it or cans on the guns. A 308 would probably make my ears bleed!

One time I had a bear break into my house. It was destroying the kitchen while I watched from behind the couch. I had no exit except past the bear. I had my AR15 in hand and i decided it that ****** comes one step this way he is done. The next thing I thought was..... ****. I wish I had grabbed my ear pro...

He preceded to tear the fridge apart, then the stove/ oven and then he drug the trash out the door and ate it in my drive way while the cops yelled at it over their PA.....

Fuckin Ca.....

maybe not to you at the time but thats funny

maybe not to you at the time but thats funny

You know what was not funny?

I got paid every two weeks.

I had just spend 250 bucks on food for the month.

Now i have no food, no door, no oven and no money.

Yeah that was super fun.

What do you do now?

Screw ply wood over your door at night and ***** at your slum lord to fix the house.

Fuckin kids will do anything...

:)

You know what was not funny?

I got paid every two weeks.

I had just spend 250 bucks on food for the month.

Now i have no food, no door, no oven and no money.

Yeah that was super fun.

What do you do now?

Screw ply wood over your door at night and ***** at your slum lord to fix the house.
Damn Dude... yeah that sucks...Much Appreciate yer Respect for the Wildlife

Last edited:
The AR10 makes the 15 look and feel like a toy.

I enjoy the 10 much more than the 15. I basically dont shoot the 15 any more except for zero and a few mag dumps. The 10 is so much more fun and if you have an area to send it out a ways it gets even better.

Here is a serious question.

Mags, leaving them loaded?

Some guys like one round out for storage, some go full load and rotate mags, other do all kinda weird stuff.

How do you store you "go to" mags and how often do you "cycle" them or unload them?

Thanks.

Two rifle mags and two pistol mags stay loaded at all times. I “rotate them” every time I go shooting. I test this out once and kept one loaded for over a year. Zero issues.

And if you ever shot in a house without ear pro you feel the difference too! Thats not even getting into the terminal ballistics and over penetration possibilities.

I have a 10.5” AR That if I ever have to shoot indoors it’s going to really suck.

Mike240 mag advice was spot on, we load 28 in thirties as well. Some get stored for multiple years, no issues. By no means not best practice just reality. The only thing I would add is we number our mags. In this way you get a malfunction of any kind you document mag number. Moving forward you create empirical data or history if you will on the mags. And in addition it makes inventory much easier. You get a repeat offender mag you toss or rebuild.

When I lived in CO, one of the guys at the range I was a member of, was a former Marine Sniper instructor; there were two at this place. His Home defense weapon of choice a 300BO with a subsonic load. He claimed would not go through two walls which was his goal because he was concerned about collateral damage (his daughter) etc. I can't speak for the validity of this claim but it's intriguing. His weapon was no joke either. Weighed all of 5 lbs sans mag. Ultra lite barrel, magnesium handguard, alloy BCG, skeletal furniture etc.... This was 7 years ago as I recall.

As far as shooting in the house a friend of mine told me a story about how when he was a kid his uncle was deathly afraid of mice, he saw one in his kitchen freaked out and got his 30 06 and commenced to shooting holes all in the floor and walls of his house...never did hit the mouse...:)

With mags, I have had a SIg 226 mag get weak springs from sitting fully loaded. I have never had an AR mag spring get weak. I only use P-mags and used to use USGI mags.
I attribute the weak spring to time loaded at full capacity. I have kept my ready mags at -2 for years after and no issues.

I use the 2 rule except for the 15 round mag that is loaded in my CZ75 compact I carry daily. We weighted a G19 and the CZ with same amount of rounds and they were about 3 ounces different. Rather carry a metal framed sidearm… As for AR’s, cheapest I built one from online/local sources was 425 bucks from an 80% lower. On the other hand, you can spend 1000’s on a super nice one.

I have a 10.5” AR That if I ever have to shoot indoors it’s going to really suck.
Oh yea it will. A blast diverter will help. I may be a bit out of date but i have a Troy Claymore on mine. It was good for glass breaches and still keeps it short working in and around cars. Ince you put a can on the 10.3 it brings it back to carbine length.

Sold that rifle many years ago. I dont remember why. Probably to finance something different.

Oh yea it will. A blast diverter will help. I may be a bit out of date but i have a Troy Claymore on mine. It was good for glass breaches and still keeps it short working in and around cars. Ince you put a can on the 10.3 it brings it back to carbine length.

Ill be putting in for a stamp later this year but it’s not going on the 10.5”. I may actually get rid of that upper.

A blast diverter will help.

Yes, immensely. Big difference, it forces the sound away from you as well as the beach ball size fireball, lol.

AR pistol.jpg

Yes, immensely. Big difference, it forces the sound away from you as well as the beach ball size fireball, lol.

View attachment 1715893436
I've designed and built a couple of compensators used on AR's and hunting/competition rifles but with emphasis on recoil reduction and muzzle rise. I understand (mostly) the physics there. Do these diverters significantly reduce the blast over a conventional muzzle crown with no brake?

I've designed and built a couple of compensators used on AR's and hunting/competition rifles but with emphasis on recoil reduction and muzzle rise. I understand (mostly) the physics there. Do these diverters significantly reduce the blast over a conventional muzzle crown with no brake?
They add a little to recoil as the gas being pushed linear out the front natural exerts the gun back more. But I find the gun to run flatter than with the A2 flash hider/comp.

Now I reduced that with my adjustable gas block, lightened carrier and removed the weights from the buffer. Less reciprocating mass. Obviously do not do that with a full auto gun. But I can do .12 sec splits and it has run fine for a long time now.

-
Back