AR-15s

-
Possibly it has already been mentioned on other posts but an FYI for anybody that doesn’t know.
AR is the designation for ‘Armalite Rifle’, after the company that first developed it ‘Armalite’. It is not for “ assault rifle”. A true ‘assault rifle’ will have a select fire feature that will cover single fire, full automatic or possibly something such as a three round burst.
Most all of such designated AR style rifles are patterned after the Armalite Rifle ,hence ‘AR’.
Yote

Like I said, I haven't read the whole thread.
Different rifles fit different people. DONT buy an AR just because all the cool guys have one. Consider length of pull, acceptable recoil due to caliber, cost of ammunition, and how easy it is to be modified if you choose to do so.

For home defense?

Not my place to tell folks what to use for home defense but a 308 isn’t a real common home defense round. Judging by the long barrel on his rifle I’d wager to guess he wants to do longer range shooting with it but I could be wrong.

I've owned several "assault " rifles. Thats a terrible description, I know. I've had...
Original Colt AR-15 shorty
Colt AR-15 H-Bar Sporter.
Another AR-15 shorty with a Colt lower and an old Olympic Arms H-Bar upper
2 Polytech AK-47s in 7.62x39
2 Norinco AK-47s with underfolding stocks in .223.
HK-91 7.62x51
CETME 7.62x51.
The point is, after all that, I've settled on a DS Arms
FN-FAL 7.62x51, and .308 Winchester.
Its a top notch rifle. I ordered it with a 16" barrel, shoots like a dream.
After 30 years of buying and shooting this type of firearm, this seems to be the one.
The HK-91 was fantastic, but I sold it many years ago, and can't afford to replace it now. But the FAL is just really great! It just works!
Im just giving you an option other than what everyone else seems to be getting right now.

What happened to the Oly Arms H bar upper???

The AR is probably the best shoulder fired weapon to buy for self defense and small game. It modularity and huge aftermarket parts supply allows for it to be updated as budget and owners techniques and skills improve. The small frame (AR15) comes many calibers which allows uppers of different calibers, barrel lengths, optics etc to be quickly swapped out for different purposes.

It is fast and light and has little recoil which equates to more comfort thus more likely to be shot and trained with especially smaller people.

Not my place to tell folks what to use for home defense but a 308 isn’t a real common home defense round. Judging by the long barrel on his rifle I’d wager to guess he wants to do longer range shooting with it but I could be wrong.

With a FAL it is. Same size as an AR.
:lol:

The AR10 makes the 15 look and feel like a toy.

I enjoy the 10 much more than the 15. I basically dont shoot the 15 any more except for zero and a few mag dumps. The 10 is so much more fun and if you have an area to send it out a ways it gets even better.

Here is a serious question.

Mags, leaving them loaded?

Some guys like one round out for storage, some go full load and rotate mags, other do all kinda weird stuff.

How do you store you "go to" mags and how often do you "cycle" them or unload them?

Thanks.

The AR10 makes the 15 look and feel like a toy.

I enjoy the 10 much more than the 15. I basically dont shoot the 15 any more except for zero and a few mag dumps. The 10 is so much more fun and if you have an area to send it out a ways it gets even better.

Here is a serious question.

Mags, leaving them loaded?

Some guys like one round out for storage, some go full load and rotate mags, other do all kinda weird stuff.

How do you store you "go to" mags and how often do you "cycle" them or unload them?

Thanks.

i have left mags loaded for several years without issue. The issue with loading full or less is based on this in my experience:

can you and does your weapon allow you to easily seat/lock a fully loaded mag with a closed bolt for a tac reload in a fight.

stacking tolerances are a thing as well as technique and shooter strength. A mag should not require a slap to seat. In fact it is a bad habit.

If you cannot, download the mag. With the AR, download two. The top round n the right of the mag is an even number. Creating the habit of mags being loaded the same. This allows for chamber verification during the admin loading process without using the stupid FA, by quickly removing the mag after chambering and seeing the top round now on the left.

Pmags will work with 30 in a 30. I still run 28 in them. But proof the aluminum Gi mags may not. Have round in the chamber and insert a 30 under the closed bolt and shoot. Stoppages are frequent here.

We ran 28 in our 30s. And some ran 26 due to the heavy res mag springs we ran in 933s due to the fast cyclic rate.

for a fighting tool, no matter the weapon, proof you weapon with the mags to be deployed and the ammo to be used. Its a Traid. Trust your life to nothing that has not been proofed

i have left mags loaded for several years without issue. The issue with loading full or less is based on this in my experience:

can you and does your weapon allow you to easily seat/lock a fully loaded mag with a closed bolt for a tac reload in a fight.

stacking tolerances are a thing as well as technique and shooter strength. A mag should not require a slap to seat. In fact it is a bad habit.

If you cannot, download the mag. With the AR, download two. The top round n the right of the mag is an even number. Creating the habit of mags being loaded the same. This allows for chamber verification during the admin loading process without using the stupid FA, by quickly removing the mag after chambering and seeing the top round now on the left.

Pmags will work with 30 in a 30. I still run 28 in them. But proof the aluminum Gi mags may not. Have round in the chamber and insert a 30 under the closed bolt and shoot. Stoppages are frequent here.

We ran 28 in our 30s. And some ran 26 due to the heavy res mag springs we ran in 933s due to the fast cyclic rate.

for a fighting tool, no matter the weapon, proof you weapon with the mags to be deployed and the ammo to be used. Its a Traid. Trust your life to nothing that has not been proofed

Thank you Sir.

I will look into the closed bolt reload and use that as a factor in how I load my mags in the future. I just learned something new.

Thank you.

Learn something new every day. Thanks.

Thank you Sir.

I will look into the closed bolt reload and use that as a factor in how I load my mags in the future. I just learned something new.

Thank you.

Remember this. The causes of most stoppages with the AR or most semi auto rifles is overloaded mags, unseated mags, lack of lubrication and lack of support when releasing the bolt carrier group. The majority of feedway stoppages I have seen in teaching occur upon the first loading (admin) before shooting starts. And after running the gun empty and reloading to continue shooting. These are shooter induced (failing to load mag correctly, failing to lube, failing to seat or riding the charging the handle if you use it-which is discouraged and failure to support).

Id love a "side charging" AR to play with.

Im just not sure how field stripping works.

@diymirage
Just dont even start......

:)

A mag should not require a slap to seat. In fact it is a bad habit.

Agreed, especially with the GI mags. I have seen guys give them a slap and they seat further than they should followed by a malfunction.

Fwiw…I treat my AR mags same as my 1911 mags as far as maintenance. I rotate the ones I keep loaded every six months. I replace all those mag springs every three years with new Wolff springs. May not make a difference but it’s cheap and gives me peace of mind. Those mags are used for regular practice and have never had a mag related stoppage that I can tell. Matter of fact my 1911’s and AR-15s run flawlessly with my handloads in competition and practice. Can’t remember the last time I’ve had an alibi in a match or jam at the range. All my mags are numbered and I’ve culled any that gave issues years ago.

-
Back