AR-15s

-
Do these diverters significantly reduce the blast over a conventional muzzle crown with no brake?

There is a muzzle break inside, it screws onto the barrel, then the "tube" screws onto that. So instead of the fireball expanding outward, it directs it forward away from you.

Similar to this, I couldn't find the one I have.

HELLFIRE-9-1.jpg

There is a muzzle break inside, it screws onto the barrel, then the "tube" screws onto that. So instead of the fireball expanding outward, it directs it forward away from you.

View attachment 1715893451
Those give you the option of both worlds.

The Claymore and some others are based on the old Levang linear comp from years ago.

man how the AR has become of Lego system of gadgets.

View attachment 1715893451
Does that not defeat the purpose of the compensator by redirecting the redirected gasses forward?

I should have gotten pictures at a training we did one day a while ago. There was a shooter to my left with a 7.5 inch barrel shooting 5.56 ball and the fireball was as large as a beach ball, lol, and plenty visible during the day, at night would have been super cool.

Feeling pretty good.
The PSA rifle, 4 extra mags, 600 rds M855, 1250 rds M193 all on the way.
Thanks to all here.

I don't use rifles for home defense. That's how accidents happen when you got enough problems already.
Shotguns, man.

Auditory exclusion is real. When I knew things were going to happen i could hear before and after the bang. Or when i made the bang. But when someone else shot or tossed a flash/bang i was unprepared for…holy hell. That back in the day before we had ear pro with comms in it or cans on the guns. A 308 would probably make my ears bleed!

I have never had my ears ring or even noticed the blast when there's a deer in the scope. Barely a pop.

Rhodesian style baby.
I got a Rhodie FAL in the build rotation now!

I don't use rifles for home defense. That's how accidents happen when you got enough problems already.
Shotguns, man.

I have never had my ears ring or even noticed the blast when there's a deer in the scope. Barely a pop.

I got a Rhodie FAL in the build rotation now!

An FAL with that camo pattern is at the top
Of my bucket list rifles.

Good afternoon from Northeast Arkansas Ron, I wounder if you could steer me in the right direction for a 9mm rifle that will shoot the same ammunition as my 9mm hand gun ? Can't spend a bunch but I could and would buy used, would you recommend one for me pleases please?
Thank you for your valuable time Ron.

memike

memike, what kind of rifle are you looking for? I've had good luck with the Ruger PC Charger in 9mm. It's a takedown model (barrel comes off with a simple twist), it's more or less an overgrown 10/22. They have a version with an AR style handguard as well if that's the look you want. OR if you want an actual AR, Palmetto (along with other companies) make AR15's chambered in 9mm. Some use a magwell insert to accept Glock mags, some have lowers setup to accept Glock mags, or if you already have an AR15, you could just buy a 9mm upper, and some Mean Arms ENDO Mags, that convert a 5.56 PMAG to hold 9mm instead and use your existing lower receiver assembly.

No. But I compare many weapons to the much hyped, over blown and over priced Colt. They aren’t the bench Mark nor do they set the bar.

Colt. The name you overpay for because it makes you feel good. That was a small poster I had on the shop wall when I was gunsmithing and selling guns.

I'm not here to argue, and I do not own a Colt, but would like to hear what you consider a benchmark brand? Geissele, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Bravo, Larue, LMT, LWRC.... something else?

I also do not own a Geissele, but have shot a bunch, there isn't much out there (non custom made) nicer to shoot in my opinion, between the tuned gas system and the trigger, they are hard to beat. My go to is a Bravo Recce 16 with a Geisselle 2 stage in it.

Last edited:
Welp, everything is here. My new FFL guy is a trip. He's a nurse and said he's a libertarian anarchist. Said he wants left alone and wants to leave others alone. lol I can respect it.

Just installed the Magpul sights. Don't like needing a tool to adjust the front sight.
Was looking at red dot sights and came across 'co-witness'. Any help on that ?
I need something an old man that wears progressive lenses can use to see and quickly acquire a target. The rear sight hole is blurry with my glasses. I came across this, seems it works at night and is highly rated for the money.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C95I8N4/?tag=fabo03-20

I too wear bifocals and as a result had to switch to red dots on my ARs. Once you get thru the transition phase you will like them. Gzig gives you a darn good suggestion on an entry level type optic. Go to a good big box type sporting good store and just look thru a bunch of them till you find one you like. There is a lot of options, one of them will likely suit your needs.

Co witness means the red dot would be at the same spot as the iron sights. Like if you were to look through the iron sights, the red dot would be in the same spot.

1/3 co witness moves the optic up higher so the sight you see through the irons, would be 1/3 of the way up on the red dog's display

If that makes sense?

If you are far sighted and wear glasses for up close, I find it easier to take your glasses off, since you are looking at the target, through the sights. With progressive lenses, you'd want to be looking through the distance part of them when using the sights.

Welp, everything is here. My new FFL guy is a trip. He's a nurse and said he's a libertarian anarchist. Said he wants left alone and wants to leave others alone. lol I can respect it.

Just installed the Magpul sights. Don't like needing a tool to adjust the front sight.
Was looking at red dot sights and came across 'co-witness'. Any help on that ?
I need something an old man that wears progressive lenses can use to see and quickly acquire a target. The rear sight hole is blurry with my glasses. I came across this, seems it works at night and is highly rated for the money.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C95I8N4/?tag=fabo03-20

That's a decent red dot for the money, I don't have one myself but I know others that do and they like it.

I prefer 1/3 lower co-witness, that way the iron sights aren't in line with the dot.

I have both of mine set like the middle example.

R.e831c5b96a21795c8fae9e9d67bd3a87

Co witness means the red dot would be at the same spot as the iron sights. Like if you were to look through the iron sights, the red dot would be in the same spot.

1/3 co witness moves the optic up higher so the sight you see through the irons, would be 1/3 of the way up on the red dog's display

If that makes sense?

If you are far sighted and wear glasses for up close, I find it easier to take your glasses off, since you are looking at the target, through the sights. With progressive lenses, you'd want to be looking through the distance part of them when using the sights.
thx, seems like 1/3 cowitness is preferable since it wouldn't be in the way?
Yep exactly, that's the problem, the rear sight is blurry because I'm looking throught the distance parts of the lens.

How do the red dot sights work in the dark? In other words are they usable without any or minimal lighting?

This rifle doesn't have MLOK on the bottom :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I like 1/3 cowitness as well for that reason. Red dots will be visible in the dark, but if the ambient lighting is too dark, you won't see anything in the room. If you are able to add a light, make sure to have the red dot at the correct intensity for when the light is on. If you ha e it dim for dark light use and turn a light on, it can wash the dot out.

This is the only picture I have of one of my red dots. It's a Leupold RDS

received_1378282462574734.jpeg

Weaver and picatinny are the rails that you would mount stuff to, generally on top of a rifle or sometimes under the barrel on a pistol. They are the sideways rectangles that you see on some. The picatinny has wider grooves between the block as you can see in the pic. The grooves are where the attaching screws go through.

Screenshot_20220329-175501_Chrome.jpg

For MLOCK, it's an oval cutout in a handguard that is also used to attach things. The screw goes into the oval and there is a plate or a T nut that goes inside to clamp down to, if that makes sense. There is also Keymod, which is the predecessor to MLOCK, effectively doing the same thing in a similar nature. Here's a pic of those. In the pic, the top of those handguards also have a picatinny rail. The MLOK and KEYMOD are on the sides.

KeyMod-vs-M-LOK-Cover.png

As for that sight, I haven't heard of the brand, so I can't comment. But a holographic sight projects the red dot out in front of you to appear to be on the target, as seen in this pic.

Screenshot_20220329-180146_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
thx for tolerating my stupid noobee questions lol

what it the difference between Weaver, Piccatiny, and MLOK?

thoughts on this? say holographic, what does that mean?
GGD Holographic Red/Green Dot Reflex Sight

Holographic is fine too. I would not buy one of those though, those are el cheapo and can break easily.

I would recommend Eotech or Holosun, Leupold etc.. They are pricey though.

-
Back