AR-15s

-
@DodgeLad Not sure if that 6920 came with a flip up back up iron sight (or the old carry handle rear sight) but if not you need to get one at minimum to make it useable. Even better would be to get the flip up sight and a red dot optic. I think you made a great choice with the Colt. I used a Colt M16/M4 with the U.S. Army for two years in the sandbox, and a Colt 6940 for 12 years as a cop. Only retired it because I switched to an HK416D.

Wait up, this isnt in N&P yet? This is a record......@VintageRacer67, thanks for your service! Where you at in OC?

@DodgeLad Not sure if that 6920 came with a flip up back up iron sight (or the old carry handle rear sight) but if not you need to get one at minimum to make it useable. Even better would be to get the flip up sight and a red dot optic. I think you made a great choice with the Colt. I used a Colt M16/M4 with the U.S. Army for two years in the sandbox, and a Colt 6940 for 12 years as a cop. Only retired it because I switched to an HK416D.
First, thank you for serving, twice.
Second I bought the Palmetto Arms. I got the rifle, 600 rds ammo, and 4 more mags for roughly the same price. Can't have regrets, too good of a day for that.

They are just such a fun rifle.

They are the perfect rifle to introduce kids, women and smaller sized folks to shooting.

You are gonna have a blast!

Id bet that 600 rounds is gone in two days.

The flexibility of the AR platform is fun. If this is your first one, Im sorry.

Drugs are much cheaper.
I'm drug and alcohol free, 5 years this month. I'm quite happy with standard OEM reality these days. :) Funny you bring up drugs. I am eligible for the state medical marijuana program due to glaucoma. But I never did it because I don't like the stuff anymore. If I would have got into that program, that would have precluded any firearms purchases.

It is my first AR

I'm drug and alcohol free, 5 years this month. I'm quite happy with standard OEM reality these days. :) Funny you bring up drugs. I am eligible for the state medical marijuana program due to glaucoma. But I never did it because I don't like the stuff anymore. If I would have got into that program, that would have precluded any firearms purchases.

It is my first AR

Probably not your last. They are highly addictive!!

In Ca, gun in your house and drugs in your house = you go to jail.

So yeah i wonder how that works with all the "legal" weed these days?

First, thank you for serving, twice.
Second I bought the Palmetto Arms. I got the rifle, 600 rds ammo, and 4 more mags for roughly the same price. Can't have regrets, too good of a day for that.
Ha! Sorry I must have missed that part. Well you’ll have to let me know how the PSA works out for you. I’ve heard good things and but haven’t had a chance to check them out myself yet.

In Ca, gun in your house and drugs in your house = you go to jail.

So yeah i wonder how that works with all the "legal" weed these days?

It's not legal in the eyes of the feds.
Weed card makes you ineligible for gun ownership. "Prohibited possessor" in the parlance of the jack boots.

Yep. That’s why I don’t have a MM card. I’ll suffer and keep my weapons.

I'm no fan of anything that limits liberty. My priorities tend to align that way too. But it's a stupid reality created by beauracrats that we get to live in, LOL.

I never thought about it before.
I know there was some talk about the police force not being able to get "medical marijuana" licences that I kinda laughed at.

But yeah. That is interesting. Id bet a lot of folks go to jail if they ever enforce that here in Ca.
:drama:
:rofl:

Ok, I just realised im gonna be the guy to get this thread booted to N&P.

So. My bad.

Back to how fun the AR is to shoot and how you need WAY more than 600 rounds. That gun will just be breaking in nice at 600 rounds.

Should we discuss barrel break in?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::BangHead:

Last edited:
I've built several of my own prices have went up since I built my last one but I was building them for around 450. Colts are very nice guns so if you don't mind paying that I say go for it you won't be disappointed with it. If you want a cheaper entry level one you can get them cheaper and they will function just fine its all in what you want.

LOL you really just compare PSA to Colt?

No. But I compare many weapons to the much hyped, over blown and over priced Colt. They aren’t the bench Mark nor do they set the bar.

Colt. The name you overpay for because it makes you feel good. That was a small poster I had on the shop wall when I was gunsmithing and selling guns.

Nope. Some parts are close.
But nope. They advertise it as such, but it's a marketing term and not reality.
The MIL drawings are very specific and few places actually adhere to them. Much like aftermarket car parts - they look like the OEM stuff, yet suck in comparison.
"Close enough" gets thrown around so much it's a joke in the industry. Then guns gack and the manufacturer just shrugs their shoulders "should have been fine".

This is a useless argument because eventually we will be arguing the definition of “mil spec” I’ve lost count of how many rifles I’ve assembled and I still have a stack of lowers to complete. All are advertised as mil spec and I have yet to have a single instance of a mil spec part not fitting a rifle.

No. But I compare many weapons to the much hyped, over blown and over priced Colt. They aren’t the bench Mark nor do they set the bar.

Colt. The name you overpay for because it makes you feel good. That was a small poster I had on the shop wall when I was gunsmithing and selling guns.

I’d never own a Colt rifle unless it’s got that third pin. You are correct, plenty of other bands that are better for cheaper. Just not PSA.

Technically no, but the BATFE is working on new rules that would make 80% receivers 'firearms'. They can change the interpretation at any point in time, and the only way to fight it is to first get charged... it's not going to be pretty.

Friendly reminder that we need to defund the ATF.

Ha! Sorry I must have missed that part. Well you’ll have to let me know how the PSA works out for you. I’ve heard good things and but haven’t had a chance to check them out myself yet.

Nothing wrong with PSA, my wife put one together for her first rifle. It’s only got a little over 1500 rounds through it but zero malfunctions.

I'll put it this way: Colt ARs specifically had far better production quality and processes than anyone else for decades and ad far as I can tell it's continued. The trigger pins were center ground and held within less than .001" for years. The shop finally burned up their equipment and they went to centerless, but they're still stupid precise. Most places chop them from drill rod and they vary, or are bent.
The carriers I've seen were amazing. Surfaces were honed exactly right with amazing surface finishes. Most that I checked would run 8-12ra, where the spec is 32. Most modern carriers are 45-50ra and it matters. Gas rings dont last as long, and the gas seal often sucks which leads to malfunctions. The tail hole? ****, most shops don't even check them and it's critical.

The cam slots were revised on mil spec carriers in the 2000s because no one but Colt could make them right. They doubled the tolerance from .003 to .006 because FN told the government that it didn't matter and that "it's not possible in production", yet every colt carrier I ever checked was perfect. The increase in tolerance has resulted in accelerated wear to uppers.

Same with the chrome. Getting it right on the gas keys, carrier and barrel isn't easy. One of the super big names in the barrel making world is one of the lowest quality products on the market, btw. Even after getting a contract to supply m4s.

This is all based on personal experience too. Not hearsay. Colt does know what they're doing and they're forced to pay higher wages to boot. As a result their prices are higher, and not necessarily just because of the better quality but because of their legacy commitments to pensions and also because labor simply costs more where they are.

Lots of budget AR shops might as well be El Salvadoran sweat shops, and the quality is commensurate with that.

Lug one with an M203 under it 27 miles with a pack and 420 rounds....they are fun when you can drive them and their ammo to the range. :p

I had a hand in these things, and never heard the end of it when it came to the 16.5lbs it weighed fully loaded!
M32A1.jpg

This is a useless argument because eventually we will be arguing the definition of “mil spec” I’ve lost count of how many rifles I’ve assembled and I still have a stack of lowers to complete. All are advertised as mil spec and I have yet to have a single instance of a mil spec part not fitting a rifle.

It's not useless. When people claim it, and then it turns out the bolt was 4130 and was responsible for the blow out that takes out an eye it's kind of a big deal. It happens far more often than people know.

I named my Son Colt (yes I am a Marine) so anyway we are sitting at a bar one day, and he asks me, very serious like, Dad, why did you name me Colt? I paused for a moment and replied “well Son, I named you after the only thing I have ever slept with that never betrayed me” There was a long awkward pause and he exclaims hey… your talking about Mom! All I said was yep, and finished my beer.

-
Back