Are 1964, 1965, and 1966 barracuda and 2 door valiant doors the same and interchangeable?

-

guido

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am getting different answers to this question
Are 1964 thru 1966 barracuda passenger doors all the same and interchangeable?
Also, will any year valiant 2 doors work as well
I have a 1964 barracuda that needs a passenger door. [see pic]
Angelo aka Guido

64 CUDA DAMAGE.jpeg

64 to 66 Barracuda , Valiant and Dart doors are the same. They may have different holes for mounting trim clips. 63 Valiant and Dart are even the same but they have a different striker mechanism and a different opening for that. The opening can be modified to fit but requires a bit of body work to not be noticable.

The Valiant & Dart hardtop & Vert doors are the same as Barracuda for 64-66 but the vert doors have different glass

1 found a 1963 dart convertible door, it has different molding holes, will thar fit my 1964 cuda

The main thing to keep in mind is that the striker assembly is different on a 63. To make a 63 door work on 64-66 you will need the cut the striker opening larger in one area and move one of the mounting holes. It ends up being a rather ragged looking modification if you don't weld in a little filler metal and flatten and fill the original hole. It can be made to fit though.
You will also have to transfer your wing window assembly as convertible wing windows are different.

If you just need a good shell, use a '64-5 model for ease of installation. Any other year will require some modification to make it work and look correct. Another consideration I would take into account is molding holes. Some model have lots of them and it makes it a pain to have to weld them all shut, smoother everything out, and/or drill new ones.

The 1966 key hole is much bigger, as I recall, which continued until ~1969. The 1963-65 keyhole is the same, but I found the 1963 lock doesn't work with a 1965 key since the slots on the keys differ. A guy near me in El Dorado Hills, CA parts out many early-A's. I recall he has a 1963 door currently on the Sacramento Craigslist. He ships. Most sheet metal out here is fairly rust-free and cleans up nice.

for the OP - A good body shop can fix that door (and the fender) for less trouble than modifying a door to fit (lock mechanisms) or weld up and reestablish new trim holes... just sayin'...

-
Back