Are 833 and 904 yokes the same?

-
It's always been my experience that they are. But someone smarter than I am will chime in and clear things up!

Have no idea what year the tranny is. I'll look for the date. Was kinda bummed when I saw it took the smaller yoke. What year is your's?

Have no idea what year the tranny is. I'll look for the date. Was kinda bummed when I saw it took the smaller yoke. What year is your's?
I can't remember either I thought it was either late 60s or early 70s. It has the older style side cover. I just don't recall any of them having the smaller 904 yoke?
20151107_173725.jpg

1966 A Body 833s use a 904 yoke as does later O.Ds... E/B and 67 up A bodies use 727 yoke.
yeah that's why I was asking the year because as I recall and I don't know for a fact some of the older stuff may have used a smaller yolk but I didn't know the later overdrive's did also? Learning...

In my experience;which is limited
the 318/slanty short-tail boxes have the small mainshafts, and so use the 904 yokes.
the 340 and bigger applications have the larger mainshafts, as do all long-tails, and so use the 727 yokes.

Passon Performance supplied me with a large-yoke mainshaft for my 367HO. There may be other suppliers. With a 360 hi-torque engine, I was afraid that small shaft wouldn't take it.I am not that kind to my junk,lol.

Swell, I have the only year with the small yoke.:BangHead:
Haven't made my driveshaft yet.
I don't think that's a deal-breaker. They make very high performance 904 transmission and I'm sure they make some kind of hardened yoke for it...

The early 66-67 26 spline is plenty strong for normal street use. I wouldn’t be afraid to throw 400-450 hp at one. Now if your talking about drag radial or slicks launches at high rpm, you might run into issues with output shaft damage. That being said, all A833 transmissions are pretty bulletproof . I’ve rebuilt many of each 26/30 spline transmissions and have never had either come in with broken output shaft.

Just curious if any body knows the actual inside diameter of the 904 vs 727 yoke spline?

I just went through this... I even had my driveshaft made using a 727 yoke... luckily I know my driveline guy...I ordered a 904/1350 yoke from Mark Williams.

This is going behind a W2 408... I dont see any problems with strength.

I have never seen anyone break myself.
Anyone?

I find a lot of these around, and there fine transmissions, there a great alternative because you can usually pick them up a bit cheaper too.

66 and 67 A bodies were 26 spline output shafts. Some A body O/D were small spline output shafts. 68 up A body 318 and 340 and 383 used the larger 30 spline output shafts. B and C bodies all used 30 spline output shafts, like 727.

Great feedback my trans are 68 and 70 abody. Good to know the auto yokes work as i have both
Thanks guys

-
Back