are my wheel studs to short

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Everything new on the front end even the wheel bearings.Whats happening is I install my rims and I can grab the tire and wiggle it.It is loose,if i remove the rim install all lug nuts to the drum tight there is no play.In the pics do you think my studs are to short they just stick out and not much threads to get my lug on.I hope someone has an answer for me.

100_1991.jpg

100_1993.jpg

100_1992.jpg

The studs are too short and also looks like you have the wrong lug nuts. The studs should extend out ot the wheel at least the diameter of the stud. In your case about a 1/2 inch.

you need lug nuts that are for mag type wheels with a shank on them.Do Not Run the acorn type lug nut's with those wheels.

Well thoes lugs are what the wheel shop sold me saying that thease are the right ones the acron does fit the stud opening good.Now about the studs how do i go about geting the right ones.Now i will have to check the rear I bet there to short too . please keep helping boys I am so close to geting this on the road.thanks Don.

It is hard to tell from your pix, but if the wheel has a tapered seat for the lugs, you can use the acorn style and will need longer studs.

I am not sure the opening is large enough for a shank style?

any auto parts store should be able to help you out. you can check out the dorman products catalogue or online to find the proper knurl size and length then just find a longer one. its a pain to do it online so I would just go to the store and look in the catalogue.

Everything new on the front end even the wheel bearings.Whats happening is I install my rims and I can grab the tire and wiggle it.It is loose,if i remove the rim install all lug nuts to the drum tight there is no play.In the pics do you think my studs are to short they just stick out and not much threads to get my lug on.I hope someone has an answer for me.

After you tighten the lug nuts you can wiggle the wheel? Even with the studs being too short for safe operation, when the nuts are tightened down the wheel should not move on the hub. Put a jack stand under the car so it doesn't fall on your head and get under it and look at the hub while soneone wiggles the wheel. See if the whole hub is moving. With the wheel off you may not get enough leverage to wiggle a bad ball joint or loose/damaged bearing but with the wheel on you will. In any event the lug studs appear to be too short unless there is something behind the wheel between the wheel and the hub.

Larry

I think those are 7/16 studs....?

Snake.....take the wheel back to the tire shop and ask them again about the lugs. Your pix are good, but I can't tell for sure which style.....:cheers:

Like others have said, DO NOT drive with that setup.

I had a similar problem when I bought some 10 inch rims for my drag radials(aluminum)I had to drill out the holes then used the shank lug with washers.Like was mentioned 1/2 x 20.I got them from Performance Improvements.

Cayuga 006.jpg

Also check that the weight attached to the brake drum isnt hitting the wheel that could be causing the wobble issue

ther are two main types of lug nuts, tapered seat and mag or "shank" type. the original studs where meant for steel wheels so you do need longer studs. those wheels need a tapered seat nut just like the ones you have. if they where meant for a mag stud the holes would be larger and the face would be flat. since they are tapered they need a tapered nut. also if the wheel wobbles you could have the wrong tapered angle. there are a couple different degrees you can get.

Thanks guys the thing is I bought the rims on line over the phone this is starting to be a pain lol.You think a good tire shop will be able to advise me the right lug if there wrong.my rims do have a taper in them and the acron lugs do seam to fit in the hole fine,also most of my studs in the hub are loose and do wobble around.I had thease rims on my roadrunner and all was fine and on my 69 dart 7 years no problim and my 66 beaumont with no problims with acron lugs,however thease rime were made in China.My studs are 7/16 org.

I have 14 inch American Racing Outlaw II wheels on my duster with stock wheel/lug studs. O'Reilly Auto here in Texas sells lugnuts for them. You can buy a 20 count pack, 4 of which are locks for just under $25.00. They even come with washers.

Attachments

• IMG-20120208-00899.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 298
I have 14 inch American Racing Outlaw II wheels on my duster with stock wheel/lug studs. O'Reilly Auto here in Texas sells lugnuts for them. You can buy a 20 count pack, 4 of which are locks for just under $25.00. They even come with washers.
hey-nice rims:thumbrig:

-
Back