Are number matching or original components a big deal?

-
it only has to be rare to be valuable but restoring back to original can still be a fun project for any car..i know a guy who desperately wants a car like his original 68 notchback 2bbl. 318 3 speed standard.
i don't think anybody in this hobby expects to make money but how much money do you make golfing all summer, or any hobby for that matter?
..( just to be clear,golf is probably a great hobby )

Last edited:
Hey diymirage

I took pictures of both VIN NUMBERS plates on the car. According to www.lhmopars.com De-codes to a B-Barracuda Horace class higher 29- 2 door sports D-2bbl 273 8 cylinder LA ENGINE 2-built in Hamtramck MI. Looks like all Barracuda
thats what it looks like to me too
i was just expecting to see the sequence number show up on the fender tag too
(but im not sure when they started installing those)

Numbers matching don't mean dick, and here is why.

1) You said that you are building this car primarily for your enjoyment.

2) If or when you do decide to sell the car, AND if you have spent any serious money on it more significant than little pissant **** like fuel pump, oil filter, lightbulbs, fuel filter, oil changes, you WILL be losing money. A car is NOT a financial investment. If you want to grow your capital then put in a mild to wild 401k/ROTH IRA/savings account. With the rule of 72, you will be money ahead.

3) A car is NOT a liquid asset, and you will possibly have to sit on it for a long time trying to sell it. Consider also showroom floor fees, insurance et cetera WILL be eating into your net profit.

I have seen all this in my life. My dad used to restore all kinds of cars, from steam powered horseless carriages to classic cars, custom cars, and modern cars. He won numerous awards and would go to shows and auctions, as a shower, a judge, buyer, or seller.

I remember most pointedly the uptight assholes in the PCA (Porsche Club of America) as the worst of the lot. So ******* obsessed about perfect paint, out there polishing their shifty little bathtub 356 speedsters, roadsters, and coupes. None of those leaky kraut oilcans could even touch a first generation Mazda Miata in the performance department. None of which were fun to drive because you were always worried about a ******* rockchip in the paint or on the windshield.

When I first got my '67 barracuda convertible in 1992, it was ugly as ****, i drove it everywhere and ENJOYED it. After my dad and I restored it, it looked beautiful, but... I hated parking at the grocery store, constantly had to back off any car that jumped in front of me for fear of rocks being kicked up which could chip the paint or windshield, constantly had to wash it because of bugs and pollen...

Now with my '68 fastback, I am building it the way I want, swapping in parts I want and painting it whatever color I want. I couldn't give two ***** about resale value.

How much do you want to drive your car? How much do you want to stress out over your car? Your call.

Numbers matching don't mean dick, and here is why.

1) You said that you are building this car primarily for your enjoyment.

2) If or when you do decide to sell the car, AND if you have spent any serious money on it more significant than little pissant **** like fuel pump, oil filter, lightbulbs, fuel filter, oil changes, you WILL be losing money. A car is NOT a financial investment. If you want to grow your capital then put in a mild to wild 401k/ROTH IRA/savings account. With the rule of 72, you will be money ahead.

3) A car is NOT a liquid asset, and you will possibly have to sit on it for a long time trying to sell it. Consider also showroom floor fees, insurance et cetera WILL be eating into your net profit.

I have seen all this in my life. My dad used to restore all kinds of cars, from steam powered horseless carriages to classic cars, custom cars, and modern cars. He won numerous awards and would go to shows and auctions, as a shower, a judge, buyer, or seller.

I remember most pointedly the uptight assholes in the PCA (Porsche Club of America) as the worst of the lot. So ******* obsessed about perfect paint, out there polishing their shifty little bathtub 356 speedsters, roadsters, and coupes. None of those leaky kraut oilcans could even touch a first generation Mazda Miata in the performance department. None of which were fun to drive because you were always worried about a ******* rockchip in the paint or on the windshield.

When I first got my '67 barracuda convertible in 1992, it was ugly as ****, i drove it everywhere and ENJOYED it. After my dad and I restored it, it looked beautiful, but... I hated parking at the grocery store, constantly had to back off any car that jumped in front of me for fear of rocks being kicked up which could chip the paint or windshield, constantly had to wash it because of bugs and pollen...

Now with my '68 fastback, I am building it the way I want, swapping in parts I want and painting it whatever color I want. I couldn't give two ***** about resale value.

How much do you want to drive your car? How much do you want to stress out over your car? Your call.

MObarracudaWell-Known Member
Local Time:
6:51 PM
This is MObarracuda's wife. I love you. Amen brother

Ya it's up to you
My 2 bbl 65 cuda is 99% stock other than general maintenance. Still wouldn't restore it to stock too much money and not what I'm into.

Even if you had something rare and worth big bucks it's probably better to sale it to someone who's into that. And for A Bodies restoring anything less than big block is probably throwing away money. Even then it questionable.

Ya it's up to you
My 2 bbl 65 cuda is 99% stock other than general maintenance. Still wouldn't restore it to stock too much money and not what I'm into.

Even if you had something rare and worth big bucks it's probably better to sale it to someone who's into that. And for A Bodies restoring anything less than big block is probably throwing away money. Even then it questionable.

I'm not one of them, but there are a lot of guys where money is no object>In some ways that's a good thing because they bring back vehicles we might not otherwise see.

I purchased my 1968 Formula S 340 Barracuda fastback from my parents in 1980. It was an original numbers matching car with a one-owner history. My father purchased the car new in 1968. My parents sold me the car because they knew how much I loved the car. I did not buy the car to serve as an investment or as a show car for display purposes only. I purchased the car to drive it, to enjoy it. I restored and modified the car with my vision in mind and not the vision of the "potential buyer" down the road in mind. For example, I removed the numbers matching engine and transmission from the vehicle and installed a nice stroked 340 to give the fish a bit more of an attitude. I have no intention of building a completely stock, numbers matching trailer queen in the future. I plan on taking this ride into the next world unless one of my children or wife pry it from my dead hands. If they succeed, they can sell the vehicle to the buyer down the road with the original powertrain.

My advise to you is simple. Build and restore the car in a manner that will put a grin on your face every time you turn the key and take her for a drive. The return of investment in restoring these cars is often not measured in currency but in the memories, friendships and driving experiences enjoyed during and after the restoration.

If you do not want to rebuild the original 273 engine, keep the original parts. If the engine and transmission are numbers matching, take the powertrain out of the vehicle. Store the powertrain in a safe place. If you decide to sell the car down the road, the original powertrain may add value to the car.

I know that I didn't buy my 65 Formula S to sell for a profit. As Cosog said though rebuild the engine you have. Updating it with an intake and 4 barrel carb would help also. But you can probably find a 318 or 360 in running condition for less money.
The 273 is a nice running, high revving little engine.
I know a lot of guys who have updated their cars with modern power plants or made other modifications to the cars. I can appreciate anything that has been done to keep the cars on the road to enjoy. I just like mine and am doing my best to restore it to the way it left the dealership.
Good luck with your project.

I love 273s.
But I also love 318s and 340s.
I'd build it to look like a stock factory 273 with 4 barrel in any of the above.
I have never felt the same about 360s.
Gotta get that engine compartment blackout fixed.
I once left my Dart at a paint shop while I went on a trip for work.
When I came back, they had bombed the engine compartment with black UNDERCOAT!
Still pissed about that...going back to 1983...

My duster started life as a /6. No one would ever tell it from a 340 car. I've been offered over 30k and its still here. To much fun to drive. Members that have been in it would agree. Like I said build what you enjoy

2 1.jpg

13.jpg

333319.jpg

18[2].jpg

dus2.jpg

spoiler pics 205.jpg

Steve 065.JPG

-
Back