are shumacker headers restrictive?

-

cudaboy 67

Reaction score
are shumacker headers restrictive? got some on my 68 440ci, pal says they restrictive and he could make better flowing ones :bootysha: blah blah reason went with these as allow b/b without cutting the fenderwells, cheers!

are shumacker headers restrictive? got some on my 68 440ci, pal says they restrictive and he could make better flowing ones :bootysha: blah blah reason went with these as allow b/b without cutting the fenderwells, cheers!
I run them on my Scamp with a 440. The fastest I have had my car down the track with mufflers and a set of M/T Pro-Sportman tires was 12.01@112 MPH. The car was still spinning off the line. I would say thats not to restritive, but it may go faster with a set of TTI's. I am not changing mine at all.

Are Schumaker headers restrictive? There are more than likely headers out there that will give better flow and give you that extra shave on your ET's down the quarter but consider this. If your running your car on the street and your concerned about a little better time then maybe you need to start jerking out the back seats and remove all the carpet and any other component that may weigh an ounce or so. I run em on my 440 73 Duster on the street and they provide as much fun...and more....than the law will allow but i get away with a lot more than i could ever pay for if you get my drift. Run em and have ya some fun.
Small Block

I will tell you 1st. hand that they are restrictive once you get close too 500 FWHP, I had them on my 451 low deck, car ran decent, then i installed some FW 1.7/8 Hookers & it was a whole diffent animal through the "intire" powerband, car went .5 & 5 MPH faster, so YES they can/will be restrictive, they are a small stepped header, there not designed for MAX performance, they were never intended for this, but there better "somewhat" then high flow manifolds but not by much, much better then smog mannys, not even close too FWs or TTIs, now as i say that, i will say if you have a "mild" BB & tend to keep it that you can't go wrong with these headers.

I have ran the Schumacker headers down the track alot with mufflers on. If I would take the mufflers off, I know I can run in the 11s. Thats not to bad for headers that do not flow as good as TTI's.

Attachments

• IMG_6373.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 479
Joe hit it on the head by saying that 500 or less HP the Schmachers are just fine. Now if you're looking for all the muscle that 440's got hidden then a shoe horned set of TTI's and 800$ would be the route. Remember though, high flow headers work best if the heads and intake and carb are up for the party, Ka Ching goes the cash register.

Joe hit it on the head by saying that 500 or less HP the Schmachers are just fine. Now if you're looking for all the muscle that 440's got hidden then a shoe horned set of TTI's and 800$ would be the route. Remember though, high flow headers work best if the heads and intake and carb are up for the party, Ka Ching goes the cash register.

Yes, a good set of headers do work well with decent heads, But you will be mighty surprised how well they work with "stock" iron heads too, Iron BB heads have a poor exhaust port, so they need all the help they can get, my gains were done with "bone stock" 906 heads with the stock size valves, casting flash & all, i even ran a set of 2.00" hooker FWs on a mild 446 with great results.

68dodge, sure you can get into the 11s with those headers un-corked, but i'll garuantee you will run mid 11s with & alot better MPH with a good set.

Me personally will not spend 800.00 on a set of tubes, even the TTIs have fitment issues, i love the FWs & thats all i ever use, unless you have a factory 340 car, then chop away, because your not hurting the value any on the adverage A body, if its a factory slant 6 car, forget about it, it ain't even a question whether to cut the holes or not, have at it, so unless you can find a set of used TTIs (they do pop up 4-sale), FWs all the way.

Like everything else when you build an engine the entire package has to compliment each other to get the most from the engine.

The diameter of the header tube dictates the rpm where the power peaks with larger being higher and smaller lower. The length of the tubes rocks the power curve around the peak with longer ehnhancing power below the peak and shorter above the peak. The Tri-Y design of the Schumacher enhances mid range power.

The whole purpose of the headers is to provide a tuned scavenging effect. So if you are building an engine with low mid range power for great street performance the Schumacher's would be a better choice than say a large diameter more conventional design. But id you are looking to make power in the upper rpm range for racing then the large diameter tube would be better.

No. In the way you asked the question, Schumacher headers are not restrictive. You gave no comparison, so none can be made. Are they restrictive compared to stock or HP manifolds? No. Are they restrictive compared to Blackjack headers? No. Are they restrictive compared to TTI or other high end headers? The ONLY people who can answer that are those who have SEEN dyno results or those who have run BOTH at the strip and have a basis of comparison. Any other answer is complete speculation and BS because every engine responds differently. Some may make more power with a stepped header. You never know until the dyno or strip. PERIOD.

Everything I have read is they are good till the mid to high 11 second range. They will be fine for a decent big block. What are your plans and combo ?

You guys can blah blah all day long, I along with others have proven "fact" that those headers are restrictive compaired to a long tubed 1.7/8 headers on even the mildest 440s, they are also shorties, so that right there is not the best, if you don't beleive me, you can call shuamacher himself, he will tell you plain & simple that they will NOT give you all out power like a true long tubed design, so you can say all is BS or whatever, 440s respond to a good header, who gives a rats *** about Dynos, i know guys that have spent all there coin tuneing there **** on a dyno, just to hit the track & go slow LOL, who's BS-in who!! Show me a full bodied "440" A body that'll run low 11s with the shuamachers, PLEASE make ME a beleiver, & i'm talking full body not stripped.

I will also say you can call them "mid-range" whatever, When i switched over to a "real" header i picked up ALL over the "whole" powerband. I see so many guys wanting to go "fast", but they scimped in the wrong areas.

But like i said earlier, if your "not" looking for the most out of your 440 then get the shuamachers, i'm not saying there "junk", they are just limited.

I'm reading this as i see it, he IS asking are they "restrictive, yes they are compaired to others out there.

many thanks for the input! much appreciated, ive been running them for a couple of years with my settup. only went with them as <at time>i was advised they were only header that will allow me to fit 440 into A body without cutting fenderwells, i did try a cast jensen interceptor, the engine as we lowered got "wedged" and we hoisted it back out and all i could do was order and wait for what i thought would work......im now at a point where im thinking ally heads and cam im already running a dual plane ally inlet and holly 750, are these shumackers any good at all ie over originals and if im after more beans should i just change headers and if so to what? cheers again .

Like everything else when you build an engine the entire package has to compliment each other to get the most from the engine.

The diameter of the header tube dictates the rpm where the power peaks with larger being higher and smaller lower. The length of the tubes rocks the power curve around the peak with longer ehnhancing power below the peak and shorter above the peak. The Tri-Y design of the Schumacher enhances mid range power.

The whole purpose of the headers is to provide a tuned scavenging effect. So if you are building an engine with low mid range power for great street performance the Schumacher's would be a better choice than say a large diameter more conventional design. But id you are looking to make power in the upper rpm range for racing then the large diameter tube would be better.
on a note its a street car,not drag, im looking for around 500hp mark, currently have a edelbrock performer intake and holley 750 vac sec carb as my combo...

many thanks for the input! much appreciated, ive been running them for a couple of years with my settup. only went with them as <at time>i was advised they were only header that will allow me to fit 440 into A body without cutting fenderwells, i did try a cast jensen interceptor, the engine as we lowered got "wedged" and we hoisted it back out and all i could do was order and wait for what i thought would work......im now at a point where im thinking ally heads and cam im already running a dual plane ally inlet and holly 750, are these shumackers any good at all ie over originals and if im after more beans should i just change headers and if so to what? cheers again .

The TTIs will be your best bet for not cutting anything, but there pricey, yes the shumauchers are better then stock, the choice is yours really, if you don't mind cutting the rear corners, the hooker FWs are by far the cheapest & will give you all you want in power/torque. Being a street car, spend the loot & get the TTIs, look around the boards 1st. though, i've seen them come up used for a reasonable price.

many thanks, here in uk stuff scarce and the majority of folk just straight liners, now i have nothing against that but if i want to go fast in ONE direction ill either jump off a tall building or annoy my wife.......i want to properly use the car, have some fun on the street and that.

I have ran the Schumacker headers down the track alot with mufflers on. If I would take the mufflers off, I know I can run in the 11s. Thats not to bad for headers that do not flow as good as TTI's.
veeery pretty car there! what spec heads/cam and carb you got? bet you notice a difference in weight with ali heads on:cheers:

I will tell you 1st. hand that they are restrictive once you get close too 500 FWHP, I had them on my 451 low deck, car ran decent, then i installed some FW 1.7/8 Hookers & it was a whole diffent animal through the "intire" powerband, car went .5 & 5 MPH faster, so YES they can/will be restrictive, they are a small stepped header, there not designed for MAX performance, they were never intended for this, but there better "somewhat" then high flow manifolds but not by much, much better then smog mannys, not even close too FWs or TTIs, now as i say that, i will say if you have a "mild" BB & tend to keep it that you can't go wrong with these headers.
500 rwhp equates to around 600 flywheel? heck i can live with that thankyouuuuu!!!:cheers::cheers:

Heck since you already have them, run'em! Later on if your looking around to get more power out of it without cracking the motor open then go buy the TTIs or the Hooker FW. Then you will know first hand!

veeery pretty car there! what spec heads/cam and carb you got? bet you notice a difference in weight with ali heads on:cheers:

I running the Edelbrock RPM heads, RPM intake, .500 lift cam with a Quickfuel 850 race carb.

Follow the link to a barracuda test using the tri-y's versus 2" full length headers.
Pretty much in line with what joe was saying with his 451 car.
http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ArticlePages/SmokinBarracuda.html
cudaj380

And if you look at the 60ft. it was slower with the larger header, so there was another solid .6 or better in the ET with currected 60ft. I'm sure it was do to the extra HP & torque that slowed the 60ft. from traction issues off the line, Its fine with me if "some" don't listen, thats THERE loss 8).

And just to clear things up, I was running "bone stock" 906 heads & the XE284H cam at the time i made this change, I "was not" even at 500 FWHP, more like 475-480, So for you guys running all the fancy heads & bigger cams/carbs are leaving a bunch of ponies on the table, why would anyone put "fast" stuff in there cars just to sacrifice HP & torque, kind of pointless to me lol. But to each his own.

I think it's pretty obvious that long tube headers will make more power. But if you are going to be running a big block in your A-body with a 4-speed like me you pretty well can only run Schumachers if you don't want to cut the inner fenders, correct :-\"

-
Back