Are the Harmonic Balances interchangeable?

-

1973Kathleen

Reaction score
I just swapped my 1973 Dodge Dart Sport's Original 318 with a 1968 Dodge Charger's 318. My dart originally had A/C and the charger did not i realized the crankshaft pulleys were different and nothing would line up because i had swapped my 73 Water Pump and Power Steering onto the 68. My Dart and the original engine are in two different buildings and i am curious if the harmonic balances are the same or if the 73 Balance needs to be installed on the 68 to make everything match up better

The only thing that's different between the two balancers is that the '68 balancer has one offset hole in the pulley bolt circle. To use the '73 pulley on the '68 balancer (or vice-versa, for that matter) you need to file one hole a bit oblong to get it to mount up on the earlier balancer. Five minute job.

The only thing that's different between the two balancers is that the '68 balancer has one offset hole in the pulley bolt circle. To use the '73 pulley on the '68 balancer (or vice-versa, for that matter) you need to file one hole a bit oblong to get it to mount up on the earlier balancer. Five minute job.
So pretty much get the pulley off the 73 see what hole on the pulley needs filed and everything will work

I think the timing marks are on the passenger side on the 68, and the driver side on the 73. So I would use the 68 damper with the 68 timing cover, and the 73 damper with the 73 cover. Or remark tdc on the damper

Match your timing cover to your balancer, and yes - there is one hole that needs to be filed out - just been through this.

-
Back