Are there parts to repair the heater control panel MECHANISM?

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys, again:

I've been slogging through projects on a '68 Valiant I bought over the summer, and one thing that has me at a temporary standstill is the heater control panel. I am referring specifically about the unit mounted in the dash of the car that has 2 sliders and one fan switch. Not the fascia that goes on it and not the (on this car) non-existent heater control valve in the engine bay.I say that not to be rude, but because on another forum there seemed to be confusion about what I was asking about.

Anyway, my 49yo control panel is coming apart internally. On these units, there are two slides which are essentially plastic pieces that move laterally along the face of the assembly. One the rear, there are pressed-in roll pins that serve to retain both the control knob and a link that connects to the mechanism farther rearward. It's a complicated operation and the later versions simplified things.

One of those plastic slides has broken and the other isn't far behind. I know at least a couple places rebuild these, so are the pieces available to be purchased, or am I going to have to mill out the correct replacement from a piece of plastic or maybe even aluminum?

Thanks.

why not put in a good used unit? those units are not valiant specific...?and they are out there.

A long while back there was a thread where the member showed he had replaced those guide/shoes in the controller with new ones. I posted to ask would he state the source for those replacement parts. No reply. :(
As said above, up to 72 model controller with less wear is out there somewhere also. Good hunting

Last edited:
try ams obsolete if they don't have it, it is probably not available.

There should be a part number on there somewhere. Google the part number, and see if anything pops up. Also go to www.partsvoice.com, and input the part number. Some NOS dealers are on there, also mopar dealers that have old parts on the shelf.

There should be a part number on there somewhere. Google the part number, and see if anything pops up. Also go to www.partsvoice.com, and input the part number. Some NOS dealers are on there, also mopar dealers that have old parts on the shelf.
Not every little piece of assemblies will have part numbers. The controller has a part number, the fan switch has a part number. I've never seen exploded views or numbers for their individual pieces.
These little guides/shoes have been brought up a few times. Some aftermarket vendor should repop them but... Replacing without a fancy fixture? Driving roll pins through these small pieces of nylon could be challenging. I never tried to service one of these controllers. Good luck

Last edited:
Subscribed. Perfect reason for me to hang onto "spares". Not all of this 50 yr old stuff is repopped and at that age, most pieces have surpassed their life expectancy.
If anyone finds some, im in for a 1/2 dozen
Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not going to buy another controller because they are ALSO 40-50 years old. The controllers are perfectly rebuildable, you just have to find or make the parts. I'll update this when I come up with something.

-
Back