are they still available 402 stroker engines

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
Hi there,

i´m a great fan of the 402 cui small block stroker engine, but now as time has come to maybe realize this plan.... i cannot find any source for a crate engine and/or stroker kit

just wondering

looks like i have to change my minds and go with an 390 kit

MRL performance! Mike is active on this forum. Also I am almost done my 390ci build and purchased my kit from cnc-motorsports.

okay - i see no more 402 crate engines, guess i´m about 4 or 5 years to late...

looks like i´m ending up with a 390 stroker kit - due to the fact that i´m located in Germany, i have to think twice about shipping costs and taxes

Hi timo, why build it not yourself? I did my 408 successfully, working fine.....best et 11.98 at the moment. I can support you here with selecting parts and assembly.

michael

[ame]http://www.hensleyperformance.com/images/pdf/hre2008.pdf[/ame]

Hi timo, why build it not yourself? I did my 408 successfully, working fine.....best et 11.98 at the moment. I can support you here with selecting parts and assembly.

michael

hi Michel, it´s just the 402 that i want to have/build ... i´m not so much into 408 (uhuu the famous Bonsai machine *lol) but first of all i have to finish my move from Bavaria to Lower Saxony

servus Michel, i weiss, ich bin grad so a bisserl hin und hergerissen, der 402 ist für mich bis jetzt der einzige Stroker der mich wirklich beeindruckt hatte. 318er Basis 4 zoll stroke 4 zoll bore.. und dreht hoch wie sau, leider ja nicht mehr so zu bekommen, evtl. muss ich mal Christian Zudrell anfunken, der hatte glaub ich noch einen auf Lager liegen. Beim 408er stört mich irgendwie die 360er Basis (und das Bonsai die 408 gebrandmarkt hat) mal gucken vielleicht wird´s dann auch n 390er auf 318er Basis, da gibt´s ja auch schöne Kits. Erstmal muss der Umzug und die Renovierung vom Haus voll fertig werden und dann muss ich mal gucken ob und wieviel Budget ich von Silvia bekomme.
Ich würd auch nen Kompressor/Paxton Umbau auf 273er Basis machen, wenn ich das H-Konform hinbekommen würde...ich will halt nur net umbedingt was von der Stange. Evtl. geh ich auch nochmal das High-Compression-Projekt nochmal an, aber da nerven mich die Spritpreise und E85 ist halt net so verbreitet....
Mal gucken was kommt

Why get so hung up on numbers? You're the only one who will know what the true displacement is? Tell everyone you built your dream 402, and no one will know.

It's like my buddy who has a nice 360 crate engine in his Demon. He gets upset because it's not a 340. I told him slap a 340 air cleaner on it, and no one will know. Life is too short to be sweating the displacement of your hobby car. Just my opinion.

Hi timo, be careful - not every 318 block is suitable for 4" bore size. Sonic testing is absolutely necessary! The "original" 402 is a standard size 360 block (4" bore) with 4" crank. My 408 is .030" over. Forget about the guy you mentioned, he's got no clue what he's talking about.

If i'd build another sb stroker i'd choose the 340 block and 4.125" crank.

As told before, you can always contact me if in doubt.

michael

Hi timo, be careful - not every 318 block is suitable for 4" bore size. Sonic testing is absolutely necessary! The "original" 402 is a standard size 360 block (4" bore) with 4" crank. My 408 is .030" over. Forget about the guy you mentioned, he's got no clue what he's talking about.

If i'd build another sb stroker i'd choose the 340 block and 4.125" crank.

As told before, you can always contact me if in doubt.

michael

hmm... okay, guess i have to take some time before making decissions on a new project. thanks for offering your help, but be aware, someday i will ring your bell :glasses7:

but as i wrote before ... step by step... first step finishing moving and getting the new house done, than begging on my wifes door to get the permission for a new project

For all everyone knows I still have a stock bore/stroke 318:prayer:

and that´s a good choice - i´m also a big fan of the little teen screamer... 3 years ago i´ve builded a high-compression (started with 12.8 and ended with 11.8:1) low budget project 318. total costs under 1500 Euros. the engine-concept failed due to bad fuel (was not able to get fuel with enough octane to avoid high-rpm-knocking, so the hyper pistons were gone)

I think if you'r elooking for a crate, someone like MRL would work well. You will want it dyno'd and tested before it goes in the shipping container because there's no cahnce of addressing anything once you've got it over there. Peace of mind is a good thing...lol.

-
Back