Are Vin tags ( I already own the car) able to be reproduced?

-
Another thread gone train wreck.......:banghead:

Yes it has and you get that when people spout of their mouth without researching the LAWS and just going off on what their friend Earl told them.
Vin tags fall under Federal law, period. Just call your state dept. of revenue and ask them.
Any state. This thread is about vin tags, not licensing.

And the topic is can he get a new vin tag and I say yes he can under Federal law.
Please call your State Dept. of Revenue and prove me wrong. Ask them why every car sold in every state has the vin tag on the drivers side of the dash. Ask them who's law that is. All I'm asking is to do some research and prove me wrong. Not a lot to ask.

And the topic is can he get a new vin tag and I say yes he can under Federal law.
Please call your State Dept. of Revenue and prove me wrong. Ask them why every car sold in every state has the vin tag on the drivers side of the dash. Ask them who's law that is. All I'm asking is to do some research and prove me wrong. Not a lot to ask.

I don't need to prove you wrong; you're already wrong. Not every VIN is on the dash.

You're looking at the title of this thread and letting it push you to a conclusion; the OP wants to license the vehicle, he just chooses to go after a new VIN as a way to solve this problem. As you can see from my first post, my point is that it may be unnecessary to do that. Some states only require a VIN verification when requesting a new title, not a reissue. If by chance the OP is in one of those states, then there may be no need to go to this bother. He needs to find his state's licensing laws, and not necessarily from a state worker at a DMV.

Please show me a new car being sold anywhere here in the US that does not have the vin tag on the dash. Just one.
The op was the last person to register the car there for he already has the licensing. He could just go and renew the license. He asked if he could get a new vin tag.

I normally try to steer clear of the swamp under the bridge where the trolls live, but hell, it's Sunday morning and I have a little time to waste :)

First, on the issue of laws: Federal, State, local..It bugs me when people start talking about what's illegal like it's set in stone. At the risk of "name calling" (which I try to avoid,) any person on this site who says they have NEVER deliberately broken ANY law is an idiot or a liar (or both!)

The example of pot was a great one: Legal in certain states, illegal by the feds. Drug laws are incredible! My wife has prescriptions for Xanax, Percocet and a number of narcotics which I could go to jail for if she leaves her pill bottle in my truck! SHE can be arrested if she leaves the bottles at home and puts her daily dose in her purse without them being in the original containers! And don't get me started on having to show my license to have to buy cold medicine because some drug head uses it to get off!

I'm pretty certain that many states (including mine) still have laws against my wife or girlfriend giving me oral sex! Hell, even HAVING a wife AND a GF is probably against the law. And if I give my GF cash or a gift because the sex is great, now I'm promoting prostitution! I bet I could even find a state law against HAVING sex if you aren't married! Is anybody here still totally legal?

It's illegal for me to burn trash, piss in my back yard, spill gas on the ground when I'm filling my lawnmower, shoot (and sometimes even OWN) firearms.

Before I go ten pages on STUPID laws, lets narrow it down to motor vehicles! Every vehicle made after 1974 is required to have a catalytic converter, many states require the original exhaust to be unmodified.

There are state laws against swapping an engine to any larger than the original mill. I once failed Pennsylvania State Inspection because I had installed bucket seats into a bench seat car and I was told that you were not allowed to change the factory floor plan!

There are laws against OWNING an unregistered vehicle in certain places, even if it is stored in a building. Many communities have ordinances about working on vehicles or even RAISING THE HOOD to check the oil!

Finally, do any "law abiding" FABO members ever exceed a legally posted speed limit? Do a burnout? Loud exhaust? Road racing?

The fact is that we all ignore certain laws because you pretty much HAVE to. You do it quietly and don't advertise to the world what you are doing.

Just as we navigate the absurdity of everyday life under the bondage of well intentioned but stupid laws, so must we approach the OPs problem.

He owns the car. He would like to drive it. He's not looking to pass something off as anything it's not.

He didn't mention the VIN sticker on the door. If that was there and complete, some states will accept that in lieu of a vin tag. And you CAN get reproduction door vin stickers and type your vin number on them.

To the OP: My advice would be to find all the places the partial vin is stamped on the car. If you have the fender tag, the partial vin is on it. Take pictures. Then have a friend or relative SELL you the car (even though it's already yours). Get a notarized bill of sale signed by your buddy with the vin number on it. Take the bill of sale and your pictures to the motor vehicle department. It would be even easier if you or a friend are dating a girl who works there!(A good friend of mine even MARRIED the motor vehicle lady) Dating or not, this is a problem that they encounter everyday and they have a way to help.

Many states will put their own "special" VIN sticker on the door jam with a different number. This does affect the overall value of the car, but you can drive it.

Now let's talk about the dreaded VIN swapping:(Let the troll chorus begin!)
On ANY car you want to title, you quietly address the issue, not get on a website and announce it to the world! Asking for a vin tag online is like asking if anybody here will sell you meth! There are people who do it, and people who sell it, and people who can get it, but nobody here is going to admit it and everybody here will tell you it's illegal!
uh..by the way: IT'S ILLEGAL!

That being said, bogus VINs are swapped all the time. Like meth, I'm not condoning it, I won't admit to doing it, but it can be done. If you go that route, it would be VERY wise to make certain that you actually OWN both cars. Buy a rusty 70 road runner with the correct documentation. Also document ownership of your car as sugggested above. VIN swapping is bad, but stolen vehicles are to be avoided at all costs! If you ever sell your car, be honest to the potential buyer about the vin swap (quietly, not in the online ad) and provide documentation on both cars.

Finally, be warned that selling a car with questionable documentation can bite you in the *** at very inopportune times! The Bible says "be certain your sins will find you out!"

It is important to remember that the ORIGINAL title always takes precident over any duplicate! I remember reading a story recently about a Cuda convertible that someone found in a field. It was totally junk, but knowing how valuable the E body vert's are, this person spent thousands restoring it to it's totally original condition. Unfortunately, they apparently had to use a title service to get the long lost documentation. The car was listed to be sold on a national auction site with the VIN number in the advertisement. Somebody somewhere remembered having that car as a teenager! To make matters more interesting, the original owner had kept the title! When he showed up with his legal paperwork claiming ownership of the $150k restoration, the auction had to be cancelled and a lengthy court battle ensued. I never heard how that ended, but I'm certain it wasn't pretty for the people who funded the restoration.

Anyway, that's my $.02. Happy Holidays to everyone!

wow I am having the same issue.i have a title and registration and the fender tag..just no vin for dash.

OK, made an apointment for Tuesday to get my lost title replaced.Today will get pics of the support numbers.....and if I can find the trunk lip ones, will get that aswell.
Have a name of a company that can make a tag,but I have to show all the pics of all the stuff they want.have alot of hoops to jump thru, but hey, thats fine.
Thanks for alot of info, ya, I didnt think this post was the same as any other....sorry if it is/was. LIke I said, this car is mine.....has been.....and will be till I kick the bucket. Positive is ..... maybe while cleaning /looking for my vin I will find other stuff I can sell off.LOL
Andrew/Kidd

In Missouri (and probably similarly in your state), you can set up with the Highway patrol. You take the car in, they hide it in some well lit corner away from you....and they look at all the places the VIN is stamped in the car. Radiator core support, frame rails, cowl, rear valence, only they know where they're all hidden.

If you have paper documentation showing you as the last registered owner (you made, like, a dozen copies and put them in safe deposit boxes all over town, right?), they'll issue you a new VIN tag, with a new VIN. Easy. Proof?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=WA16SMawQD5RNa4h2rLH-Q&bvm=bv.80642063,d.eXY

Blech. Short answer, excerpted:
This form is to be used when a vehicle/trailer identification number (VIN) plate needs to be verified, issued, or replaced.
Any false statement in this application is a violation of the law and may be punished by fine or imprisonment or both.
1. Print or typewrite with black ink.
2. Before the application can be accepted by the Missouri Department of Revenue (department), an examination to determine the
true identity of the vehicle/trailer must be made only by the authorized law enforcement, the Missouri State Highway Patrol
(MSHP), a member of the St. Louis City or County Auto Theft Unit or the Missouri Public Service Commission (manufactured
homes only) as outlined below.
3. This application must be accompanied by the documents and fees outlined below. If the application is for a corrected title/
vehicle verification or for a new VIN plate for a homemade trailer, the application may be submitted to any Department of Revenue
contract office. If the application is for a new VIN plate for a motor vehicle or manufactured trailer, or for a replacement VIN for
any motor vehicle or trailer, the application must be mailed directly to Motor Vehicle Bureau, PO Box 2076, Jefferson City MO
65105-2076.
The original form must be submitted to the department. The copy will be retained by the inspecting agency.
DO NOT SEND CASH. Checks or money orders may be accepted as payment. Make the check or money order payable to: Missouri
Department of Revenue. The check must be preprinted with the check writer’s name and address, bank code and account number.
It must also include the following information regarding the check writer:
1. Driver license or non-driver license number;
2. Date of birth; and
3. Daytime phone number.
THE MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE MAY ELECTRONICALLY RESUBMIT CHECKS RETURNED FOR INSUFFICIENT OR
UNCOLLECTED FUNDS. Other restrictions may also apply.
4. The identification number plate (excluding a new VIN plate for a homemade trailer) will be forwarded to the applicable agency
(as listed in paragraph above 2) for proper attachment to the unit. The agency will contact the owner for an appointment to attach
the plate to the unit.
WHO CAN COMPLETE THE INSPECTION PORTION OF THIS FORM?
Title Correction or Vehicle VIN Verification — Any authorized law enforcement — Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP), county
sheriff, police, etc. An additional inspection completed by an authorized officer of the MSHP or a member of the St. Louis City or
County Auto Theft Unit may be required. The inspection portion of this form is not required for a new or replacement VIN on a
manufactured home (complete section A and see list of required documents below).

Piece of cake. Still unsure? Contact a general purpose lawyer. They petition the state, the state has no case of contest about legal ownership of the vehicle, blam, they issue you a new VIN/title.

He does vin tags too. The guy lives 2 miles from me and has come over and bought parts from me. He has told me about all the hoops that he had to jump through with the federal government. The state of Colorado is one of the toughest states on car titles and they approve of this too.

You're fu**in' a' right. Five years old and totalled on insurance? You don't buy it back, it's straight to the recycle bin, screw the insurance pool! NO 2nd chances on old cars.

Transferring a vin from one car to another is illegal.
Getting a reproduction tag from datatags is not. The process of getting one of these repro tags includes a law enforcement agency. So now the cops are involved so please tell me how this is illegal? The cops have to sent the documentation to data on their letterhead. A legit answer please, not just blowing smoke at your ***.
Kidd your the last one the license your car so really you can just go renew the license. If you lost the title you can get a replacement title. Then go and driver your car. You won't have an issue until you go to sell it or get pulled over and the cop wants to verify the vin, then you'll probably have some problems.

Kidd you said the you have a copy of the registration. That should have the title number on it. That is all you need if it was last titled in your name.

hello kidd....

if you REALLY want to save your car and YOURSELF from a LOT of potential problems, the FIRST thing you have to do is hire a lawyer. yes.. i know, who the hell wants to waste money on a lawyer when you just want to enjoy your car? well ... here's why...

1. depending upon the state that you live in, ANY alteration, reproduction and/or "creation" of a vehicle VIN number or vehicle with a questionable VIN number may constitute a CRIME - usually a felony. and it doesn't matter if you engage in this activity "for good purposes" or "unknowingly." so.. if you go down this road using advice "from a buddy" and not from a lawyer licensed to practice in your state, you are taking a BIG risk. any lawyer that does vehicle issues (i.e. driver license suspension, dui's, etc.) should be able to help you. and a reasonable fee for this kind of legal help should be $500-800 at most. remember, if you do this on your own and get stopped by a cop and he runs your VIN and anything comes up as questionable, he IS NOT going to believe the story you have posted here and you may go to jail until you can prove what you did. the VIN number has to be visable somewhere on every licensed car and on a roadrunner, it should be on the top of the dash at the base of the windshield. you could find another dash somewhere with a VIN tag on it but that number is not going to match the old registration documents/title that you have. you have to either find the original dash and VIN or start a new process for obtaining a new VIN number legally for your car.

2. now for some good news... most states (pennsylvania allows this) provide a process where you can register a "reconstructed vehicle." such a vehicle can either be a "hot rod" or a "kit" built car or a repaired or salvaged vehicle. basically you get the correct forms from the dept. of trans. folks and then when the vehicle is finished, you take it to an approved inspection station and they examine the vehicle. this process is somewhat time consuming and will cost some money, BUT it is a LEGAL way to solve your problem. go to your local state license center and ask about this process for obtaining a title for a new VIN created for a car. this is the only process i know of where you could get a used roadrunner dash somewhere with a new VIN and install that in your car and have that process blessed by the government.

i would urge you to try my suggestions first. yes, you may be able to solve your problem "in your garage with the help of a few friends" but you will be taking a chance if you do that.

good luck...

I normally try to steer clear of the swamp under the bridge where the trolls live, but hell, it's Sunday morning and I have a little time to waste :)

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Vote for best post on FABO! :cheers:

Told ya it was gonna get windy in here!

FOUND THE VIN!!!! Made an apointment for Tuesday for my lost title, Thanks for all the help!

I have a 70 Road Runner, bought it April 7, 1987. Drove it, raced it, wrecked it, and redone it.....LOL, It was registed to me,and legal.Well, I let the registration laps in 1992 I think. Car was in my garage.....in 2000, I started on the car, got a new dash, took the vins off it for the swap, stuck them somewhere........in 2004, was working on it again, new engine, trans....then my mom died.Here it is 2014, and I am NEEDING it to be mine again, BUT, if I cant find the vin for my car, can I have a new one made? I have an old registration for it, no pink, as my Xwife destroyed all of that. Is it possible? who does them? The vin should still be on the trunk area,so not trying to cheat.
Any help is welcome....my wife asked about it several years ago at the DMV, the lady said its out of the system.If I register it again, might make me work faster.LOL
Thanks,Andrew/Kidd
If you are the last registered owner then you can go to dmv and geta replacement title

I cut out my inner fenderwells in hopes of finding some sound ones. I nailed the fendertag to a joist in my garage. I 'find' it about once a month looking for other stuff..i got hanging on my joists...My garage looks like that scene in 'Twister' with all the hanging tools.

Recreational pot smoking is against federal law....

I found it on a shelf thats only like 10 inches wide next to the garage door. I riveted it to the dash....I will but the new rivets, and a decal later.....for now it is all good!
Andrew

-
Back