Are you The Stones or The Who?

Do you relate to The Stones or The Who

• I relate to The Stones music more.

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • I relate to The Who's music more.

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • I see no difference in the bands' psychologies.

Votes: 7 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

adriver

Blazing Apostle
Reaction score
This date in 1965 and the UK release of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction prompts this poll.
The question IS NOT which band is (was) better.
There is no answer to that.
I'm asking which group you relate to more.

Were you born in a cross fire hurricane and can't get no satisfaction so you paint it black?

Or are you out in the fields fighting for your meals getting your back into your back into your living?
And you won't get fooled again.

捯

Dont want to start anyting here but---------I like rock & roll period. I think that like cars, there was no good music written after 1972. (Dire Straits being the exception to that rule) That being said, Having read Pete Townshend's book "Who I Am" and seeing many specials on period rock & roll I come down on the side of the Who as being the seminal musical innovators of my generation.
JMHO-DR:coffee2:

Gotta go with my STONES !! But I am OLD !!! LOL

Gotta go with my STONES !! But I am OLD !!! LOL

Dude-you have no idea! Seems like I am aging faster than some of the time slips i see posted on the site. Grew up spinning 45's in my room as a kid and joined a band when I was a 16 year old guitar player and played gigs around our area.
I find it interesting that both bands are still touring after all these years, although the "Who" have what they call their "road band" so its not really the Who anymore. I do like the Stones as well but tire of their music faster than some of the others. (Saw Elton John live a few months ago. really powerful show)
DRO:)

You gotta have pretty big STONES to ask a question like that....

O:) Since we're "Talkin bout my generation" you should know I am no "Pinball wizard" and I "won't get fooled again"
Now, "Who's Next"
:cheers:Rat

Actually, don't relate to either one of them closely. I know I like both, but neither really speaks for me. Though, I have to admit, "Paint it Black" speaks to me. It was the first song on the radio I heard on my drive back from Rochester after Sarah died.

Watching girls go passing by
It ain't the latest thing
I'm just standing in a doorway
I'm just trying to make some sense

The Stones play Beatles music better than the Beatles ever thought about.

I'm an Allman Brothers man, though. We kicked the Brits out a long time ago.

I'm looking for some way to extend the polling time. I only gave it 30 days.
I think 60 or 90 days would better give everyone who wants to vote a chance to do so.
Help, mods?
(I hope memike gets his problem solved today. I've got a story about that too.)
This is not a win or lose popularity vote.
This is just an unscientific survey of our members that feel they can relate to either group.

I'm hesitant to comment because I don't want to skew the results by dampening input.
Yes there are other good groups we all like.
Maybe I'll comment later though.
Please comment as you feel like it with your personal experiences so the infrequent members can see the vote.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/mu...bum-rubbish/tRdnhWPJFsDFiGzw2VkuRN/story.html

Here.
This says something of the differences, I think.
Same area of the anatomy. Different messages.
Not judging. Just different.
Mama's got a squeeze box.

Attachments

• sticky fingers.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 252
  • whos next.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 250
Overrated. PERIOD.

To you, perhaps, but not to me, and a plethora of others. I don't need to defend the Beatles. WHat started out as a Teeny bopper idol thing progressed into one of the most successful song writing affiliations in history.

I completely disagree. Playing ability, composing ability, musical composition, talent, vocals, harmony, just about anything you can list, the Beatles did better than the Stones, or the Who.

I like them all, but, there was far more talent, originality, and musical ability in the Beatles, than either of the other two groups.

Even in individual abilities.

Drumers: Ringo, and Watts were drummers. They were there when you needed them, with no "hey look at me" pretext. The Ringo was also a pretty decent Keyboardist.

Moon was a showman, granted, but, not much different than either of the other two, when it came of studio work.

Bassists: Mcca, the most melodic and versatile, and innovative. Not to mention his song writing capabilities, and various vocal styles.

John Entwistle: Excellent bass technician, and more classically trained than Mcca, a style of playing that suited the Who's lack of a strong lead guitarist. Forced into taking more responsibility for the band's power due to relatively weak guitar playing, As great a bassist has he was, it was always compromised of the need to over play to fill out the sound, especially live. He also played a pretty mean trumpet. ;)

Bill Wyman: The most traditional bassist of the three. Solid back beat,

Guitarist: George Harrison, the most melodic, and the most avant-garde of the three. Widest rage of stiles of the three.

Pete Townshend: The least talented and able of the three, and among the least talented of all the "Super Groups" of the time. What he lacked in ability, he tried to make up for with volume and showmanship. It worked for the masses, but most guitarist recognized his limitations.

Keith Richard: A good, blues and rock and roll guitarist, and a good "fill" man. Stepping outside of those parameters showed his limitations. When Brian Jones ( The Stones single best all around musician) died, it was a good idea to higher a GOOD rock guitarist. Mick Taylor was a good choice in 1969, Ron Wood was a better one in 1975.

Front Men: The Beatles had two, Lennon and McCartney, but excellent musicians and vocalists. Both could handle good rock and roll, numbers and ballads, Lennon had a better rock and blues voice, and McCartney a better pop voice.

The Stones had the ultimate Front man, in Mick Jagger, but while he had the classic Stones rock/blues voice. The stones lacked a good ballad vocalist. An excellent showman, and performer. Now in his 70's he's STILL an excellent performer. I suppose his years as a Phys. Ed Teacher lent themselves to his longevity.

The Who's Roger Daltrey. I never understood, why he didn't play more guitar on stage. He was, at least, as good as Townshed (probably better), and it would have added so much fill to their liver performances. Daltrey is a good frontman, but not the performer that Jagger is, and not the vocalist that either Lennon or McCartney were.

I saw the Beatles Live, twice.
One at Shea Stadium in August of 1966, and once in August of 1965 in LA, at the Hollywood bowl.

A saw the Stones 4 times, in 1965 in Newark, NJ ( show was walking distance of my house. at the time). again the same year in again the same year in LA. Then again in NYC in 1972, and again in 1981 in Atlanta.

And the Who I saw 6 times: In NYC in 1974, and 76, and in Boston in 1976. In Brussels, Belgium in 1972, at Leeds in 1966, and in NYC back in 2004.

There wasn't a bad show in the lot. Though I could have done without the screaming girls at the Beatles, shows. ;)

Not a real fan of the Stones. Pink Floyd. Eric Clapton. Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits), Heart, and many others. The Doors, Jefferson Airplane,

Stones 1968-1974
The Who 1968-1973

These were the years they were young, played live with reckless abandon and put out their best music.

I'm looking for some way to extend the polling time. I only gave it 30 days.
I think 60 or 90 days would better give everyone who wants to vote a chance to do so.
Help, mods?

Changed to 90 days for 'ya....

Well I'm not Tommy or Baba O-Riley, but the Who are coming to Seattle-call me there. BTW, for American bands gotta include the Beach Boys. Saw the Brian Wilson biopic "Love and Mercy last weekend and it was HARD to watch. But boy did it showcase his genius.
Cheers all-DR:burnout:

i didn't grow up with either one but now that I am an adult (well supposed to be) and I am more exploratory with music....namely rock and roll. I find the who to be more interesting and I would definitely pick the who.

The stones are good but their lyrics leave a lot to be desired and the chap Mick whatever is leaps and bounds over rated.

when I discovered the who I found myself repeating tracks several times just to take it all in.....keyboards and dramatic crescendos in Baba O' riley and almost all their songs is amazing. Its the kind of music that you have to pay attention to.

The stones: if i don't hear their drag queen chants for a looooooong time coming, I will be just fine.

Good thing you didn't put Led Zeppelin :prayer: in this otherwise there wouldn't be any question :prayer:

Overrated. PERIOD.

There wasn't a bad band in that whole era.Songs that barely made the top
100 back then would be number 1 today.
Paul McCartney has written over 10,000 songs:musical scores,hits,symphonies,
Those bands did it all write,sing,play,arrange,compose.....

-
Back