ARP main studs for a windage tray

-

Uncle Bob

Shiny paint causes stress.
Reaction score
I'm guessing these studs will work with any windage tray, but am sure wondering why there are 5 long studs in the kit when there are only four bolt holes in the windage tray?

1688135000571.png

1688135036304.png

If you are going to use studs they torque differently than bolts.

Not sure mixing studs and bolts is a good idea.

In addition to the studs you will also need one special low profile fastener under the oil pump.

I had to call ARP direct and request it.

If your building the motor, mock this up and have the block aligned hone with the stud or mix of studs and bolts.

As noted the oil pump has clearance issues with the stud, some have had the cap spot face cut lower to clear.

With the ARP kit, you need to open up the factory windage tray holes, at least I did with mine.

If your building the motor, mock this up and have the block aligned hone with the stud or mix of studs and bolts.
If I have to do that then my decision is made because the machine work is already done. I'm not signing up for that aggravation again. Months of waiting and TBH disappointing work when I finally did get my block back.

I guess if I can't find the impossible to find factory bolts then studs are my only alternative?

I guess if I can't find the impossible to find factory bolts then studs are my only alternative?
Pretty much.
And I'll get flamed for saying this, but I wouldn't overly worry about line honing the mains with studs. Mic the saddle bores across a few different axis to confirm if it concerns you too much.
Just adhere to the recommended torque values for the studs (not the bolt torque)- fine threads exert greater pressure on the caps than coarse threads and can distort the bore if exceeded.

If I have to do that then my decision is made because the machine work is already done. I'm not signing up for that aggravation again. Months of waiting and TBH disappointing work when I finally did get my block back.

If you don't have the bolts, you might put out a wanted add. Someone probably has a set. I don't know if they are still made new.

Stock bolts will not work with a milodon tray. Best to use their fasteners with their tray, lot less problems.

Pretty much.
And I'll get flamed for saying this, but I wouldn't overly worry about line honing the mains with studs. Mic the saddle bores across a few different axis to confirm if it concerns you too much.
Just adhere to the recommended torque values for the studs (not the bolt torque)- fine threads exert greater pressure on the caps than coarse threads and can distort the bore if exceeded.
Question, does ARP supply the torque value for the fine thread?

-
Back