Arrgghhh..

-

Scampin

Reaction score
So I have been thrashing for the last month or so to finally get the 64 out of the garage after being dormant for the last 3 or so years. Deadline I set myself was this Friday. Re-gasketed the motor, converted to 4bl, new cam, 68? 4 spd, spec. Clutch, 8 3/4 rear, new front suspension, rear suspension, disc brakes, blah. Blah. Blah.
Fired it up first time in 3 yrs today. Runs fine. No gears. Can't engage any gears, shifters jammed up. Popped the linkages off, put the shifter in neutral, the shift linkages are too short. It has the factory 64 shifter, and the factory 64 shift linkage on a later transmission. What do I have to buy? Do I need to change the shifter or the linkage, or both? Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Yeah i was hoping for some instant relief, lol. I just eyeballed a hurst super shifter and it looks like the shift rods are the right length for it? I will give brewer a call tomorrow i guess.

Sounds to me like you are using the 66 and up shifter adapter plate and not the 65 and earlier plate. The early shifter plate with a ball and trunion joint tilted the shifter.

Interesting. Another thing I did not know was different. From the research I have done I am using a 71-up a-body trans with the interlock shift cover, with early a rods, early a shifter, and a 71 up shift plate. Apparently this combo does not work. lol

Interesting. Another thing I did not know was different. From the research I have done I am using a 71-up a-body trans with the interlock shift cover, with early a rods, early a shifter, and a 71 up shift plate. Apparently this combo does not work. lol

Nope the Early A plate was different.

Do you happen to know if I swap shift plates it will work?

I have the original off the car. Thanks for the info!

I called Brewers and they confirmed what you said. Swapped them out. Works like a charm. Thanks again for the info!
Was of course a battle because someone that owned the transmission before me broke their allen key off in the bolt head...

-
Back