Arrrgh idiot, title ?

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I bought an A body I came across and tucked it away for a future project. The time has come and I moved it into the garage.
Problem:violent1:
I paid for the car, received the title, but never titled the car in my name. I put the title up but now I cannot find it .
What are my options
> Is it possible to get the previous owners name?
> maybe give him 500 for a lost title renewal
> tell him to come get it
> A very clean A body notchback Cuda and certainly worth more now than 5 years ago
> part it out
> cut it up and make a race car
> buy a roached out 67 notchback with a title and a Vin, anybody?

Just did this yesterday!! In Michigan, there is a new procedure to obtain a lost title, or obtain a title for a car long off the road! First I had to go to the S of S and have them run the Vin, then I got a service order number to use as reference! Once the Vin cleared in Michigan I had to have the police here to verify the Vin as it was on the car! I then had to take that paperwork to have the car appraised, which for cars valued at less than $2500 was done with just pictures! I could've also done an online appraisal, but the local appraiser only charged me $50 and let me call my own value!! Then I took all of that paperwork back to the S of S and filed it! They then do a national title search and if that comes up clean they issue you a title!! Total output on my part...$95!! Yea, I could've used a title and vin tag I have from another car, but I want this car to be legit, and changing the vin is just not right, to me anyway!!

So, go with the above recommendation and go to the DMV with the vin and see what the procedure is in your state, you may find its easier than you think!!!

of course dealing with the RMV/DMV can be a pain in the a$$ - find that title you tucked away- you had it, so it HAS to be somewhere... sit, have a beer and think about it.. where do you "hide" your important s#!t... sometimes this method takes more than one beer..

I paid for the car, received the title, but never titled the car in my name. I put the title up but now I cannot find it .
What are my options

ask the wife where you put it...that's what I would do :D

Look in the glove box or center counsel that's where you hid it.

ask the wife where you put it...that's what I would do :D

sadly...this works more times than not. even when i dont tell her where i put it to begin with, its like they are in our heads :violent2:

I've noticed that I always find what I've lost/misplaced in the "last place I look". Sometimes I'll look for days and I always find it in the last place I look. So don't bother looking everywhere for days and weeks, just go straight to the "last place" that you're going to look...it should be there !!
GOOD LUCK
Treblig

Could be in the safe deposit box with the $million$ you stashed

I've noticed that I always find what I've lost/misplaced in the "last place I look".

Me too, but sometimes after I find it I keep looking, just to cover all the bases. :D

Seriously: I often find what I was previously looking for, after I've given up on it and while I am looking for something else.

You know you aren't going to find the title until you go through all of the steps to replace it :)

I know what i am about to say is like closing the barn door after the horse runs away, but it bears repeating as i see threads like this all the time. If you have important documents like vehicle titles, property deeds and the like, and all the trouble these very important pieces of paper bring when misplaced, why for the love of God dont more people put **** like this in safe deposit boxes at the bank. Its so freaking cheap to keep this stuff in safe keeping in either there or in a good gun safe.

As far as the lost title goes id keep looking till i found it. All my ***** locked up in a file folder in a safe. I know where my paperwork is.

I know what i am about to say is like closing the barn door after the horse runs away, but it bears repeating as i see threads like this all the time. If you have important documents like vehicle titles, property deeds and the like, and all the trouble these pieces of paper bring when misplaced, why for the love of God dont more people put **** like this in safe deposit boxes at the bank. Its so freaking cheap to keep this stuff in safe keeping in either there or in a good gun safe.

As far as the lost title goes id keep looking till i found it. All my ***** locked up in a file folder in a safe. I know where my **** is.

I went to staples and got a fire proof and water proof safe for the paperwork. In Colorado they purge the title after 7 years of not being registered so if your car has not been tagged in that long then your copy of the title is the ONLY evidence of ownership you have .....PERIOD!!!

Not transferring into your own name is a huge mistake, the person who's name is on the title could die or move away and then you have a rag with some feller's name that no one knows and you may need that person again to get a duplicate title or to sign a power of attorney, bill of sale ......who knows what might come up. .... and who knows where that person will be.

To the O.P. ....hope you find it and everything works out .....don't give up

trapster

trapster's Flag is: United States

View Photos By: trapster

You know you aren't going to find the title until you go through all of the steps to replace it

LOL. yep that is how it works

Hmm, I have an old mustang 2 plus 2 ? I could get plates and drive it at least .Just hope I don't get pulled over by a car enthusiast
You guy,s are funny and I am funny too,

I know what i am about to say is like closing the barn door after the horse runs away, but it bears repeating as i see threads like this all the time. If you have important documents like vehicle titles, property deeds and the like, and all the trouble these very important pieces of paper bring when misplaced, why for the love of God dont more people put **** like this in safe deposit boxes at the bank. Its so freaking cheap to keep this stuff in safe keeping in either there or in a good gun safe.

As far as the lost title goes id keep looking till i found it. All my ***** locked up in a file folder in a safe. I know where my paperwork is.

That is exactly what I do, but I can not remember the combination to the safe.... and the wife is out with her buy friend, I guess I will wait until she returns!:burnout:

Just did this yesterday!! In Michigan, there is a new procedure to obtain a lost title, or obtain a title for a car long off the road! First I had to go to the S of S and have them run the Vin, then I got a service order number to use as reference! Once the Vin cleared in Michigan I had to have the police here to verify the Vin as it was on the car! I then had to take that paperwork to have the car appraised, which for cars valued at less than $2500 was done with just pictures! I could've also done an online appraisal, but the local appraiser only charged me $50 and let me call my own value!! Then I took all of that paperwork back to the S of S and filed it! They then do a national title search and if that comes up clean they issue you a title!! Total output on my part...$95!! Yea, I could've used a title and vin tag I have from another car, but I want this car to be legit, and changing the vin is just not right, to me anyway!!

So, go with the above recommendation and go to the DMV with the vin and see what the procedure is in your state, you may find its easier than you think!!!

Michigan is a little more forgiving than Illinois.

A lost title in Mi is $10 and $20 for expedited...

A lost title in IL is $90....

I had a house fire in 91 lost all the titles to my cars.
I only had one that was not in my name, could not find the guy that sold it to me.
It sucked to part a nice running and drive able rubber bumper cuda' out.
All my important documents are in a fire safe now.

the title is mot in my name. What are the odds that if I send the DMV the 90 bucks and VIN # they will send me the title??? What do you guys think???

If the overwhelming response is NO they will not then I will take pics and ask 1000.00
maybe someone on here will b interested before I put it on EBAY?

-
Back