Arthroscopic Knee Surgery

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
Having the procedure this Friday to repair a torn meniscus. Anyone out there have this done and how long till your back to 100%?

Had it done about 25yrs ago in Tucson, AZ. It was outpatient surgury then and recovery is what you put into it. I recall I had about five P.T. sessions and then I did alot of bicycle riding and swimming. You want to do the low impact with resistance type activities.

I've actually had it done 3 times in the last 5 years. Each time was very similar and took about a week to become mobile enough to go back to work. P.T. sessions twice a week for 4 weeks then I was able to do light workouts at the gym (i.e. bicycle & swimming). 8-12 weeks after I was able to resume playing soccer. Ice is your friend!!!

I had mine done 2 years ago. Not real bad, in and out surgery. It took me 5 weeks to get back to work. Use ice. Best of luck to you. You'll be fine.

When i had mine done i could walk on it the same day .... But only enough to go to the restroom .It hurts . But not really really bad i never tooone pain pill with that one ... the last knee i had cut on they had to open it up that was the most pain ive ever been in . In my life I passed out one time from it i was begging for pills lol So as long as they dont have to open it up fully . I would not sweat it man its gravey Stock up on what ever you drink now . Beer pop what have you wish you the best praryers sent

cool it also help to have some one with you most of the time , that way if your going to the restroon if cant get back on your own there there to help if they have to go away get you some 2 litter bottles i know some ones saying gross but you got to do what got to .

had it done at lvh... 2001 august.. it sucked.. i am still numb about a silver dollar size on my knee.. i actually had the tear repaired.. 3 hour surgery.. rehab and a brace from august to december.. still aint a 100 percent.but.. things could be worse...

I had it done a few years ago, and I really didn't have that much pain. As was previously mentioned, I don't think I took any of my pain pills either. In fact, the most pain I had was when they removed the staples. I couldn't drive for about a week because the bandaging really restricted movement. I wasn't employed at the time, so that wasn't a factor, but even if I had been I don't think I would have been out of work that long. Maybe a day or so.

One thing about the surgery that really surprised me was that when I woke up, I had a really sore throat. Apparently after they knocked me out, they had put some sort of medical device down my throat to make sure my airway stayed open during the surgery. I didn't know they were going to do this as it was never discussed pre-op, and it took a couple days for the pain to fade. So if your throat hurts when you wake up, don't be surprised and don't worry about it. If any other orifice hurts, however, I think I would be concerned... Just my .02. :D:D:D

I need it done also, but some people say that it doesn't help much.

What are your experiences ?

It depends on what, where and how much is torn.

I've had a few of these and I was back playing ball in as little as 3 weeks and one took 5-6 months because of the tear. Also had 3 total/ACL reconstructions. How your body responds to therapy will determine recovery. Swelling is BAD!

I need to have both of them cleaned up again as there's junk floating around...

Had mine done a few years ago. FOLLOW THE DOCTORS ORDERS

I'm not a good patient, was hobbling to restroom that night, was to be on crutches for a few days, hell with that.

Had home PT that I did some, limped for some time. It's year it was still not full range of motion, but after starting my new job it loosened up. But now it is getting cooler and seems to be tightening up again.

Took a few pain pills, didn't seem to do anything so I stopped.

Got a cooler knee devise that was filled with ice water, liked that.

Good luck hope for speedy recovery

I had my right knee done last april , they remved 40 percent of the cartalidge
(miniscas) did some scrapeing on the bones, did physio for months and still not
a 100 percent , still have trouble kneeling down , cant run yet , still have pain
but nothing compared to what was going on before the surgery had ice on it
last night after work cause it hurt and was swelling a bit. again still way better
then it was before. Good luck and get well soon.

had it done at lvh... 2001 august.. it sucked.. i am still numb about a silver dollar size on my knee.. i actually had the tear repaired.. 3 hour surgery.. rehab and a brace from august to december.. still aint a 100 percent.but.. things could be worse...

I had the same numbness you are talking about and the Physical Therapist kept massaging it with the thumb to break down the scar tissue and feeling came back!

Had mine doe about 10 years ago. It got so bad I couldn't walk up a set of stairs without the fear of falling down. Had the tear removed and he ground on the back of the knee cap a bit. As said keep some ice around and limit the walking. I found a frozen bag of peas worked the best. I was back to work but stayed off of it as much as possible and kept it elevated. Too much walking on tit caused it to swell. To get back to where i felt 100% took about 6 months but now it is actually better than the other knee.

Thanks again!
I had to postpone it for a week due to a death in the family. However, you guys have certainly given me more useful information than the doctors!

Depending on the size of tear you should be decent in 2 to 6 weeks. Last thing you want to do is Squat........They are the sillyest thing to do even with working out. You put too much preasure on the meniscus and meniscal repair. walk and and bend your knee with out weight on it........... :glasses7:

Having the procedure this Friday to repair a torn meniscus. Anyone out there have this done and how long till your back to 100%?

Yeah, it's a breeze. I had no issues afterward. I went to rehab for about a week afterward, and I was only on crutches for 3 days.

Early 50's when I had it done. Really not to bad at all.

-
Back