As usual, the comments are hilarious!!

-
Without certified PM on that thing, there is no way I trust it to fly me around.

Did you see how close the lower rotor came to the tail stabilizers? Strong winds and bonk!

Thats a Hungarian crop duster. See the mechanic throw his arms up in defeat? Imagine starting a 1947 Farmall after a long winter with a hand crank. Seen some old Diesel start up vids about as exciting.

I don't like choppers and I've only ridden in one twice. Once was from Spokane up to Mica Peak in the winter. The pilot got us out there on the hill and said, "there's some weather looks threatening. if I tell you we need to leave, you need to get onboard, or we can spend a cold night up here."

The radio building was 'sorta' heated, but there were no cot(s), and no food, although there was some water. Anyhow, we were about finished up, and the pilot gave me the word. I hurried and got the tools and gear on the helo, and went in to get "my partner" who was on the phone. I tried to tell him and he's "hushing" me "I'm on the phone to the system owner." I finally reached up and HUNG UP THE PHONE. I told him "Let's go!!!" About 30 seconds after we got in the air, I looked behind us, and all you could see was grey. You could not tell there was a hill back there anywhere. Bear in mind there was also several radio towers and so on up there. NOT a helo friendly site in IFR

My first helo flight as offshore Louisiana. Pilot knew we were novices. He mde us all check our weight and bags. Then he started the engine, warmed it, and started rocking the bird back and forth on the pad while he shook his head and flipped switches on his overhead console. About the time we were all looking at each other and wondering if we really wanted to do this, he shot straight up off the pad and banked into the wild blue yonder over the gulf. We could see the SOB chuckling up front, and we knew we had been had.

Cool aircraft. At idle, sounds like a hot rod with a cam.
Life is cheap over there.

I don't know about those particular engines, but many radials around the world owe their roots to either Wright or P&W The WWII BMW's are one example.

That's a cool old bird though. Thanks, Del.

Here's one flying. Looks like a monster dragonfly. When he comes in for a reload at around 3:00 he uses a pretty interesting landing technique. Looks like fun!

Last edited:
Didnt know belarus made helicopters...:lol:

In the second video the blades did not move during start/warmup. The first did not have neutral?

I didn’t watch the video, but it may have a rotor brake.
I fly CH46s right now, we start both engines with the brake on. We drop the brake(from a low engine rpm)and immediately increase RPM to get centrifugal force on the rotors.

In the second video the blades did not move during start/warmup. The first did not have neutral?
Maybe it slipped. In the first, he tried to start one engine several times, then started the other, there was a text saying "let's engage the clutch to help the dead engine", and then promptly killed the FIRST engine LOL

Last edited:
Chinook, great helicopter!
My hero picture!
Afgan 2.jpg

Pretty cool. I have quite a bit of time in a wide vareity of helos ranging from CH47s, CH46's UH1s, UH60s. MH53's, etc. and I am always amazed at the fact that they actually fly. Spent about 3 days in a R44 shooting pigs and that was a blast!!!

I spent my whole career supporting helicopter flight test for the DOD and AIRBUS.
Here are a few of my favorite birds!
P1030873.JPG

AH1 1.jpg
MELB 1.jpg
YAH 63.jpg

I actually worked on that instrumented MELB in Mesa. Picture brings me back

-
Back