Atco Closed

-
I just ran at Atco back in May but broke the car , now I know why they wouldn't give me a raincheck , they weren't going to be around much longer. He sure fooled everybody by going on Facebook earlier this year with pictures of all the new track maintenance equipment. Word has it the owner was mad that racers went to planning board etc. meetings and complaining about him selling to the junk yard people. So out of spite he went around the local planning boards and went right to the county and got his ok to open up a pot farm. Thats why he turned down an offer to sell and keep it as a drag strip .. Spite ! It is sad how a persons want for money and their spite can effect so many... ie. employees , racers etc. What about the people that bought Atco gift certificates ? points racers that paid to run points ? I am guessing he called the family that ran Englishtown and asked " whats the best way to close a track with no notice " ? Its pretty funny that there's a member of the family that owned Englishtown on Facebook posting all about how much he misses and loves drag racing !
I seen a Atco racer post on FB saying they didn't charge for points, but there was also no point $ payout at the end of the year either. Said it's been like that the last few years. Not sure how much truth is to it as I don't race there.

Really crappy thing for the owner to do to the employees, the racers and to NHRA Division 1 as a divisional race was scheduled for next week. Real low class, but so long as the jackass got his money, who cares?

Grass roots drag racing is dying. Spectators are nonexistent. The younger generation doesn't seem to have the interest in cars that us oldsters had/have, and we are dying off.

Not true. Small tire no-prep racing is a return to the grass roots drag racing that you are talking about. Limited traction, no index, non handicap racing has made a huge comeback in the midwest and south eastern united states. Participants and spectators are mostly on the young side.

I seen a Atco racer post on FB saying they didn't charge for points, but there was also no point $ payout at the end of the year either. Said it's been like that the last few years. Not sure how much truth is to it as I don't race there.

They changed keystones point system several years ago. You can either pay to join of join for free. If you pay and make the top 10 you get a little payout. Free points people get a trophy if in the top 10 and attend the banquet. Years ago making the team for bracket finals got you free entry to the bracket finals and a shirt or jacket.

Had the same happen with 75/80 dragway here in MD. Now only MIR and capital open and maybe The one in Boonsboro area. Think it's called Mason/Dixson.

Yup, drag strips closing......
The flames & sound coming out of the 'exhaust' of elec cars....is just not the same.

-
Back