ATF fluid type/ best price ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I've got a small block 727. Were can I find the best price for fluid, and which type should I use ?

Your going to get a lot of different responses to this just so you know. Myself I run ATF+4 and buy the Napa brand.

Dexron 3 Saved my old gallon oil jugs and took them to a quick lube place that has it in bulk. flipped the kid a $20 and he filled 3 jugs for me.

..........The 727s and 904s were never designed for the better type oils with all the attives so I only use regular dex.................kim....

..........The 727s and 904s were never designed for the better type oils with all the attives so I only use regular dex.................kim....
True..it would be a waste of money to run atf+4 in the older trannys...but the newer ones its an absolute must...I have run regular dex and type f in 727/904's with no issues in the past...

wow im shocked at the answers here. i used to run dextron which was for GM and Mopar, and type F was for fords, and it was said to never swap the types. now its hard to find normal dextron and ive been battling what to safely use for a while, but ive not had problems so far using the dex/merc.

The type F will supposedly firm up your shifts a tad, although I have never tried it.

This is the guy I ask for advice , I have been using the Shell Spyrex since I built my 904 , my parts guy got me to try it and it works great and is compatible with most manufacturers recommended types -non synthetic of course .

I've used red line synthetic in my last two 727's and will probably use it in my latest project. Not the cheapest, and maybe overkill.

They would run just fine on used filtered french fryer oil guys.

Yea they always said use one only in that, and the other only in this, but lube places and trans shops use bulk Dexron in EVERYTHING.

Type F does shift a little better (Firmer) because it allows a little less slippage on clutch and band application.

Oh yea, Wally World here too.

well yea, if you put it like that I suppose you could fill it with diesel fuel and it would work!

Well my son just picked up 12 Qts of PEAK Dextro III/ Mercon at Big Lots for me today $3.00 a qt. Thanks guys

-
Back