attractive alternator?

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I went to adjust my alternator the other day and the pulley was so magnetic- it damn near pulled the wrench out of my hand !:dontknow: I could actually let the pulley hold the wrench for me, it was so magnetize? Has anybody ever heard of this ? No one I've talked to has.

Was the engine running?While running the shaft the pulley bolts to has a magnetic pull.Never heard of one going so far as to magnetize the pulley though.I wonder if it was over charging?

no I wasn't trying to adjust it while it was running. lol- I've never heard of that either!? lol

Voltage regulator possibly stuck.

I thought I was gonna get to see an alternator with boobs on it or somethin.

If this alternator is so good looking, then you should post some pictures of it.... Gigity, gigity....

LMAO You guys.. crack me up. alternator sucking on your wrench shes a keeper OMG.....

GAWD.....Leave it up to Karl!

a quick & dirty check if your alternator is working take the blade of a pocket knife and hold it near the back of the alt. where the shaft is and you will feel a magnetic pull if the alt. is putting out. could this magnitise the pulley ? I do not know

a quick & dirty check if your alternator is working take the blade of a pocket knife and hold it near the back of the alt. where the shaft is and you will feel a magnetic pull if the alt. is putting out. could this magnitise the pulley ? I do not know
any attractive alternator that is sucking on your wrench is definitely" putting out!" I couldn't resist getting in the act. :D

Well it does have some big ole magnets in there, maybe one of em has grounded out??
The volt meter normally is showing 13-14 ,but sometimes likes to go higher? I battled this last year and installed a switch inside to I think cut off one of the wires to the regulator to stop the flow of electricity momentarily when I wanted to if it was going over 14 volts. I went through a couple of the regulators last year and definitely a new alternator. amongst all the other wiring nightmares.

Isn't it easier for your attractive alternator to suck on your wrench while putting out if you first take off your belt or at least loosen it?

I went to adjust my alternator the other day and the pulley was so magnetic- it damn near pulled the wrench out of my hand !:dontknow: I could actually let the pulley hold the wrench for me, it was so magnetize? Has anybody ever heard of this ? No one I've talked to has.

What you discovered is part of a charging system test,,

That you left the key in the on position,, and in doing so,, you in fact tested the regulator, and it's working,, the alt brushes are contacting the rotor,, and the alternator rotor doesn't have an open circuit.. and if the alt is not charging,, that it's likely a faulty rectifier (diodes) causing the prob..

The rotor is a giant electromagnet when powered up..

This is a field test I do without meters to determine if an alt or reg is faulty..

With the key off,, there would be no (or little) magnetizm at the rotor.

Key on,, - no magnetism at the rotor (either end),, fault is regulator, alt brushes, or wiring connections..

Want to know if the regs working,, key-on,, check for magnetism..

hope it helps

Well it does have some big ole magnets in there, maybe one of em has grounded out??

Big ole magnets. Oh you mean mig ole bagnets. Like tig ole biggies. I got it.

That you left the key in the on position,, and in doing so,, you in fact tested the regulator, and it's working,, the alt brushes are contacting the rotor,, and the alternator rotor doesn't have an open circuit.. and if the alt is not charging,, that it's likely a faulty rectifier (diodes) causing the prob..

This is a field test I do without meters to determine if an alt or reg is faulty..

Key on,, - no magnetism at the rotor (either end),, fault is regulator, alt brushes, or wiring connections..

hope it helps
I'll check that out when I get home.

this test don' prove the alternator is good........

Well,, if the rotor (field) is magnetized,, that would indicate the regulator is working,, that the brushes are working, and that the rotor is working,, so,, is the regulator bad??, or something in the alt (rectifier).. bad ???

Re-read it..,, if anything,, it indicates the alternator is prime suspect, (rectifier/diodes being bad or loose connection),,

To be sure, a voltmeter should be used,, but as I said,, this is a quick, roadside test.. so you can pick up the right parts on the way home... cheers..

hope it helps..

I've seen numerous alternators w/magnetized pulleys on GM's..usually in a high voltage output state..or fried..

I've seen numerous alternators w/magnetized pulleys on GM's..usually in a high voltage output state..or fried..

I'm not speaking of residual magnetism,, I mean suck the screwdriver outta your hand,, when energized..

Ohh just try it.. lol

As mentioned,, if there were no maggotism when key is on,, strong suspect would be power to regulator,,, V regulator,,, then wiring connections,,, then brushes ,, then rotor..

This assumes the belt is tight,, and the alt was previously working..

hope it helps.. cheers..

Re-read it..,, if anything,, i..

i know how ta fix alternators. lots o probs besides what this including simple belt

trouble wid these quickies is they can lead ya down a dirt road full o mud

hope it helps

well I went out to the garage picked up a wrench and put up against pulley to see if it would stick and it didn't the battery is disconnected as I'm having a little issue with my rocker so I can't start the car til the parts come in

-
Back