Aussie Charger

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Saw this in the parking lot at a swapmeet today. Glad I had my camera with me. Talked to the owner who is from New Zealand. It's a right hand drive 72 w/ a 318/904....buckets with a floor shift console that looked factory, but different.....:dontknow:

I don't think I've ever seen one in person. Really nice looking car....

71 Aussie Charger 009.jpg

71 Aussie Charger 001.jpg

71 Aussie Charger 003.jpg

71 Aussie Charger 008.jpg

Man, that is just plain AWESOME!!!!!!

Exactly what I thought when I saw it.....

That vinyl trim in the 3rd and 4th pics goes all along the top of the doors and looks to be padded kind of like a padded vinyl roof.

I have a pic of the rear also and it's got a flip top cap too. I will post it if I can figure out how to blur or black out the plate. :scratch:

Here's a pic of the rear.....great taillights and a flip top gas cap. Notice the location for the trunk lock.

Is this car considered an A or B body....:dontknow:

71 Aussie Charger 011.JPG

Looks like a cross between a charger around the back glass. A barracuda on the side profile and a demon on the front grill. As far as A or B body, that's a good question. What's the weight on a car like that? That may lend an idea. I think it would take some getting use to shifting with my left had. There's some things that i don't do very well with my left hand. LOL.

I think I see a little inbreeding there from an AMC Marlin as well.
Cool car!

It's a VH Valiant Charger, Aussie assembled, US designed. It is carrying the 770 badging at the back, hence the padded vinyl quarters and doors.
Wheelbase is only 105 inches, based on the A body, but with a bit of B thrown in too.

The rear "over-riders" are missing from the back....770's had them.
The Kiwis got a different model to what was available here in Australia.
They were Australian design, not USA.
The models apart from XL, 770, etc were VH, VJ, VK & CL. They were not made in CM guise. VK & CL had different tailights....same outside shape, different lens treatment.

The rear "over-riders" are missing from the back....770's had them.
The Kiwis got a different model to what was available here in Australia.
They were Australian design, not USA.
The models apart from XL, 770, etc were VH, VJ, VK & CL. They were not made in CM guise. VK & CL had different tailights....same outside shape, different lens treatment.

I missed that rear bumper, duh. Mine was built in Wellington, but had the over riders "optioned" Actually I prefer it without.

Thanks for the great info on this old thread. It really was a cool car and nice to see one here in the USA. I might have a couple more pics, I'll look in the next few days.

It's a VH Valiant Charger, Aussie assembled, US designed. It is carrying the 770 badging at the back, hence the padded vinyl quarters and doors.
Wheelbase is only 105 inches, based on the A body, but with a bit of B thrown in too.

105" wheelbase is shorter than my Demon. I wonder why Mopar did this?

Thanks for the great info on this old thread. It really was a cool car and nice to see one here in the USA. I might have a couple more pics, I'll look in the next few days.

105" wheelbase is shorter than my Demon. I wonder why Mopar did this?

I think it was an image thing. Chrysler Australia needed a hot two door to compete with the Ford and Holden hotshots of the day.
What they achieved was WAY lighter, quicker accelerating than the V8's( I know I'm going to cop it for this, but look it up) and better handling.
The Charger was seriously quick in the E series cars, and, as you have pointed out, really nice to look at.
BTW, these only weighed in at just over 3000lbs with the 265 Hemi, (lighter than a new VW Golf...!)

Ive Got One On Resto , It will see the Light Some Day These Mostly Came with an Inline Six , American Design , Thank you Mr Hubbach Awesome Car well ahead of their Time , The Is A great Book For sale in NZ & Australia Call ed Hey Charger, A great History an insight to their design and success they had this side of the World,

American designed in Australia-didn't he design the Mustang?
Hemi 265-old American truck engine redesigned in Australia and carbs in Italy

It really is an awesome "little" car
you can throw it around a bit actually but the back end is quite light and tends to spin out if you're not careful

I might have a couple more pics, I'll look in the next few days.

Well, I finally found the pics on this old computer. Sorry for the long delay :smile:

:cheers::cheers: What a cool car from OZ

Attachments

• 71 Aussie Charger 002.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 71 Aussie Charger 006.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 71 Aussie Charger 007.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 186
I know that car. that guy lives in North Tempe. I used to drive by his house every day taking my kid to school. He had a duster sitting idle for years i was considering seeing if he wanted to sell but it disappeared.

hemitheus, I've never seen it around town other than this time @ the swap meet over 2 years ago. It was a really interesting and cool car.....I bet there aren't many of these in the States.

I cant imagine it is another one. Color, year, condition all the same. What are the odds there is another?

I've researched those, the slant six hemi hauls serious ***.

A-body chassis based. Same T-bars, lower control arms, ? upper control arms, same basic chassis sheetmetal just changed here and there.

-
Back